PDA

View Full Version : Target, Walmart or KMart?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9

myhoneyhoney
01-01-2012, 06:29 PM
Target most of the time but sometimes Walmart just can't be beat for prices, plus Walmart has more crafting items. Both hubby and I would rather go to Target though because they tend to be in better order and less crowded than Walmart. There's a Kmart about 20 minutes away from me but the selection is dismal.

PDilemma
01-01-2012, 06:30 PM
I know people have ethical issues with WalMart and their employee treatments. But when there is no other competitive grocery store in the area or one that sells what I want, then I feel economically I need to suck it up and go into them.

^This.

Currently, none of these stores are less than 20 miles from us. WalMart is opening here in a few months, though, and I'm actually glad. Living in a town with only one full service grocery store means high grocery prices. WalMart = competition and I expect the current grocery store's prices will be going down to that chain's pricing in the neighboring metro area which we are not getting right now. We get the sales, but regular prices are higher because they can be. I also suspect that the local Walgreen's will begin paying attention to stocking their store (they are constantly out of stock of everything half the time) when WalMart is open.

dbell1
01-01-2012, 06:37 PM
None of them if I can help it.

Walmart offends me in many ways. So, I will pay a bit more to not support them.

Target bores me. I find their clothing to be cheap and the stock to be hit or miss. And the food section isn't that nice.

K-Mart is the black hole, 70's time warp store in my area. Ugly and outdated with surly staff.

I have enough local stores that I can do without all 3 of these places. And I love to shop online too. :)

sk8er1964
01-01-2012, 06:46 PM
Target. I wouldn't shop in Walmart if it were the last store on the planet. I detest their business practices. They treat their employees horribly and their model to put small local business and other larger retailers out of business is reprehensible.

This is exactly why I refuse to shop at Wal-Mart unless there is absolutely no other choice (which is usually when traveling in the south).

I am in CT - where is Meijer - have not heard of it.

Meijer is a western Michigan-based store, and I believe that they are in most if not all of the Great Lakes states. They are far superior to Wal-Mart, and I prefer them to Target, although I don't mind Target at all. I also shop at K-Mart for some things, mainly because they are the closest store of this type to the rink I normally skate at.

PDilemma
01-01-2012, 06:48 PM
Walmart offends me in many ways. So, I will pay a bit more to not support them.

I wish for you that there never comes a day when you do not have "a bit more". I used to say the same thing. Unfortunately, I don't have that "bit more" now and we still like to eat. If we could give that up, it would be different.

BreakfastClub
01-01-2012, 06:52 PM
I am in CT - where is Meijer - have not heard of it.

Meijer is located mostly in the Great Lakes, predominantly in Michigan. I'd never heard of it either (I'm from the northeast US too) until I moved to the midwest for the first time.

Meijer is the one and only thing (except for perhaps the shoreline and some nice state parks in Michigan) that I miss terribly about the midwest after living there three times and running back to the northeast every time :scream:.

Walmart, Kmart and Target are all crap, always crowded, and I avoid them all costs. Meijer? :swoon: As much as I'd love to see one here, that likely means it would be ruined. I'm certain the limited geography and the fact that it is still family owned (aka, no altar of shareholder profits) what keeps it so nice.

BittyBug
01-01-2012, 06:56 PM
Target all the way. I used to also like K-Mart for household stuff when they had the Martha Stewart line, but that's gone now and so is my K-Mart. :(

aliceanne
01-01-2012, 07:11 PM
I don't have any choice, Target is the only one of the 3 that exists in my area.

Badams
01-01-2012, 07:19 PM
There isn't a Target near enough to me but I prefer Target to Walmart. But out of the 3, I would take the Kmart I shop at. It's clean and the employees are friendly and I can relax while I shop. Plus, their rewards card is fun.

PrincessLeppard
01-01-2012, 07:21 PM
^This.

Currently, none of these stores are less than 20 miles from us. WalMart is opening here in a few months, though, and I'm actually glad. Living in a town with only one full service grocery store means high grocery prices. WalMart = competition

I would be surprised if that grocery store is still there a year after the Wal-Mart opens. And then Wal-Mart can raise their prices.

MacMadame
01-01-2012, 07:26 PM
I tried doing grocery shopping at Target. It's full of processed food and the selection of some foodstuffs is bizarre to say the least. I'd rather go to my local grocery no matter what the price difference is.

I go to Old Navy for cheap clothes. Nothing I've ever bought at Target was as good as the worst piece of clothing I bought at Old Navy and usually the ON prices are better.

I don't shop at Wal-mart if I can help it.

K-mart's are dirty and disgusting so I don't shop there either but I have no philosophical objection to them.

I actually do object to Target now because they give so much money to causes that offend me.

PDilemma
01-01-2012, 07:33 PM
I would be surprised if that grocery store is still there a year after the Wal-Mart opens. And then Wal-Mart can raise their prices.

Similar sized towns around here have sustained as many as three grocery stores with WalMart in town. Grocery stores that are part of chains usually survive. Little town independent markets, not so much. And this being a "commuter" suburban town, many residents already shop at WalMart on the edge of the Metro only about 25 minutes away and on their way home. That lot has always been full of cars from our county.

Jimena
01-01-2012, 07:46 PM
I actually do object to Target now because they give so much money to causes that offend me.

What causes? Now I really want to know.

PrincessLeppard
01-01-2012, 07:54 PM

Their CEO tends to donate to lots of conservative causes, and yes, that bothers me as well. However, they also give a lot of money to education, which is a good thing, imo.

I don't get my groceries from Target. I go to a grocery store for that.

tarotx
01-01-2012, 08:06 PM
Target is supposedly anti Gay. They have a clean friendly atmosphere though. KMart is super dirty. Every single one I've been to that last few years needs Janitorial help bad!! Walmart is super mixed I have a few stores close to me and they range from looking almost high end to being more dirty than most Kmarts. Sears is better but higher. Meijer is so similar to Walmart in their range of quality.

I shop at all 4 places doing internet &ad research to find the better quality cheapest price. Amazon reviewers were my biggest help over the holidays!!

But I usually get groceries at Giant Eagle since they are a 5 minute walk from my house and my sister is a manager at another location.