PDA

View Full Version : Flatt trains with Tom Z over winter break

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

fan
12-31-2011, 11:50 PM
http://espn.go.com/espnw/athletes-life/7376230/rachael-flatt-survives-college-finals

essence_of_soy
01-01-2012, 02:51 AM
What's the definition of a masochist?

AxelAnnie
01-01-2012, 05:24 AM
I thought she was smart

DimaToe
01-01-2012, 06:53 AM
Come on Rachael :scream: Does she want a matching set of broken tibias or something?

MacMadame
01-01-2012, 10:30 AM
I said before that I thought if she really buckled down and used the Thanksgiving and Winter breaks to really work on her programs, she had a shot at making the podium at Nationals.

Well visiting another part of the country and living in a hotel, training with someone who isn't actually your current coach, and doing some shows during that period is not buckling down and concentrating on getting ready for Nationals in my book. I am not sanguine about these plans.

Domshabfan
01-01-2012, 10:45 AM
Rachel's jumps has been very shaky this season and end of last season due to injury. Tom Zzzzzzzz is very good jumping coach so it makes sense to get help from him, but that is not the only problem Rachel has, she need better ice coverage and better presentation, which is all but absent in her programs. I hope Rachel's visit Tom Zzzzzzzz is a success and hope we will see and better presentation at the US nationals.

Marco
01-01-2012, 01:51 PM
Rachel's jumps has been very shaky this season and end of last season due to injury. Tom Zzzzzzzz is very good jumping coach so it makes sense to get help from him, but that is not the only problem Rachel has, she need better ice coverage and better presentation, which is all but absent in her programs. I hope Rachel's visit Tom Zzzzzzzz is a success and hope we will see and better presentation at the US nationals.

Even if she lands her jumps, I suspect her PCS will suffer so much to the extent that she wouldn't be a threat to the podium.

Susan M
01-01-2012, 02:37 PM
Rachel has, she need better ice coverage and better presentation, which is all but absent in her programs.
She also needs to get a lot more serious about her overall fitness and condition. It is pretty obvious from the roundness of her arms that she is carrying too much body fat for this sport, which cannot be helping her jump consistency.

olympic
01-01-2012, 02:51 PM
As many of you know from past posts, I'm no fan of Tom Z. But, somehow, I think this is the best immediate solution for Rachael: Tom Z and Rachael seem to get along and his coaching method, along with training at 6,000 ft. altitude, might return her jumps to passable form that gets her on the podium. She doesn't seem to be able to make Stanford and training at 3 rinks work for her.

If she had more time, I'd say going back to Tom Z for a temporary fix would be a disaster. However, she doesn't have the time right now to invest in deep, long-term repairs to her skating skills and presentation.

However, I do think she will be behind all of Czisny, Nagasu and Wagner come Nats

IceAlisa
01-01-2012, 07:04 PM
I said before that I thought if she really buckled down and used the Thanksgiving and Winter breaks to really work on her programs, she had a shot at making the podium at Nationals.

Well visiting another part of the country and living in a hotel, training with someone who isn't actually your current coach, and doing some shows during that period is not buckling down and concentrating on getting ready for Nationals in my book. I am not sanguine about these plans.

I didn't realize she is doing shows. However, she could be in need of :bribe: to pay for her training so it could be a necessity.

As to the training with Tom Z --the jump coach: the article mentions how Rachael wants to show off her artistic side rather than tech side. Is Tom Z the person for that? To me it sounds like her jumps are in not so good a shape.

barbk
01-01-2012, 07:15 PM
I hope that her jumps don't just improve for Nationals, only to see them degrade again once she goes back to school, especially if she makes the Worlds team.

MacMadame
01-01-2012, 07:19 PM
As many of you know from past posts, I'm no fan of Tom Z. But, somehow, I think this is the best immediate solution for Rachael: Tom Z and Rachael seem to get along and his coaching method, along with training at 6,000 ft. altitude, might return her jumps to passable form that gets her on the podium. She doesn't seem to be able to make Stanford and training at 3 rinks work for her.

But she's not just training but also doing shows. Those are a distraction for her preparation for Nats and will cut into her training time.

The Fly On The Wall
01-01-2012, 09:36 PM

Well, her results have been less than spectacular under the new coaches, though we have no way of knowing if that's due to coaching or schedule adjustments, etc. And RF's PCS scores aren't going to matter if she can't get her jumps back. I'm sensing a little desperation??

MacMadame
01-01-2012, 09:45 PM
I'm sensing she wanted to do the shows... :D

UMBS Go Blue
01-01-2012, 09:49 PM
As many of you know from past posts, I'm no fan of Tom Z. But, somehow, I think this is the best immediate solution for RachaelEYS. The article made it sound like college life - in addition to training and long Bay Area commutes - has been a tough adjustment. Going back to a comfortable, familiar environment, including a coach she's used to working with and who has gotten good results from her before, sounds like a good recipe for getting back into shape.