PDA

View Full Version : Margaglio

Pages : [1] 2 3

nuge
12-31-2011, 07:18 PM
Absolute Skating .
Quote from Maurizio

How do you think Ice dancing has changed over time ?

Maurizio The big difference now is the quality of the skating :rofl:
Sorry it just made me laugh :shuffle:

DORISPULASKI
12-31-2011, 10:08 PM
Truthful fellow, isn't he?

:lol:

VarBar
01-01-2012, 02:00 PM
I can picture Margaglio doing the twizzles and footwork the current top teams are doing and becoming a world champ with HIS quality of skating.;)

Zemgirl
01-01-2012, 02:14 PM
The sentence in the first post looks funny in itself, but it is not an accurate reflection of Margaglio's comments in the AS interview (http://absoluteskating.com/index.php?cat=interviews&id=2011margaglio). If you look at it in context, he wasn't suggesting that skating today is of lower quality, but rather that different qualities are emphasized than in the past:

The big difference now is the quality of the skating. Before it was more about power and speed on the ice, but at the same time control of the holding. The compulsory dance was a strong part. Losing that means the skater does not have to show the perfection in holding and position. So the quality of the skating is now more about flexibility and deepening of the edges. The speed is a little bit less and sometime the power is less, but the acrobatics is more. The couples used to be more similar physically, but today, because of the demand for acrobatic things, the difference in weight is important.

If these skaters were brought 20 years back in time, they would have problems. If we asked them to do what we did it would be very difficult for them. But at the same time, if the champions of 20 years ago competed today they would be lost, and maybe not able to get any level. This was also what we faced when we made our came-back in 2006; it was very difficult already then.
I think he brings up some valid points (though he's wrong about speed not being emphasized), and he certainly seems to be aware of the difficulty of competing in the current system and how it would have affected him.

Finnice
01-01-2012, 02:46 PM
Nuge, thanks for remining us of this article! I have to say that we in Finland are very happy to have him coaching here, and his wiews in the article are interesting.:babspmm1:

PashaFan
01-02-2012, 10:49 AM
Have any of you been European & World Champion?.
He was a fantastic ice dancer. He & Barbara gave their programes everything.
I can't believe how bitchy people are being on here.
I bet you would not say anything to his face.
Why do you have to read the negative into any comment?.
Ten years ago they were at the top of ice dance for a reason.
I loved both them & Marina & Gwendal.
Much better than Meryl-I can't change the expression on my face no matter what I'm skating to-Davis.

nuge
01-02-2012, 06:20 PM

Pasha FanI wasn't bitching about them I just read the line and it made me smile :) Maurizio wasn't known for his edges /skating quality that's all :shuffle:
As a couple they weren't one my favs but they were exciting and gave everything ' especially Babs into every programme they did.

Jessica
01-02-2012, 07:23 PM
I bet you would not say anything to his face.
Why do you have to read the negative into any comment?.
Much better than Meryl-I can't change the expression on my face no matter what I'm skating to-Davis.

So no one on this forum can be bitchy unless they agree with you? I bet you wouldn't say what you said to Meryl Davis to her face either.

PashaFan
01-02-2012, 07:51 PM
So no one on this forum can be bitchy unless they agree with you? I bet you wouldn't say what you said to Meryl Davis to her face either.

There is a difference between being bitchy & having an opinion.
Sometimes people can be nasty.
Plus yes I would say that to Meryl's face but her expression would not change.
Also, when did I say that I want everyone to agree with me?.
Don't try to make this into something it's not. I was just standing up for a ice dancer I really liked. Go look on the other threads there are hundreds doing it.

Jessica
01-02-2012, 08:22 PM
Don't try to make this into something it's not. I was just standing up for a ice dancer I really liked. Go look on the other threads there are hundreds doing it.

What you consider being "bitchy" is other people's "opinion." As far as what you said about Meryl Davis, I really don't care. It was just ironic that you whine about other people being nasty and you turn around and do the same thing.

I think you need to get over yourself.

I'm personally done with this subject.

chmea
01-03-2012, 01:30 AM

:rofl: Well stand up for her/him if you wish...we don't care because the majority of people find fp/m OVERRATED & UNTALENTED. It's one thing to win because you have the politic :TT1: behind you to push and cheat, it's another to win based on REAL talent...I don't care how you find Maryl's face, but at least she is talented and didn't choke under pressure at the Olympic....:D

since you're a pasha fan, well I shouldn't expect a lot of class, because just like her, you like to be a ... :rofl:

Aussie Willy
01-03-2012, 01:40 AM
You can't complain about others making bitchy comments about skaters and then do it yourself. That is just hypocritical.

PashaFan
01-03-2012, 11:56 AM
You can't complain about others making bitchy comments about skaters and then do it yourself. That is just hypocritical.

A lot of people on here are being hypocritical.
Surely saying Margaglio was not talented IS a matter of opinion. I said I thought he was fantastic. That's MY opinion. That's the whole point of these message boards to discuss our opinions.
If we all thought the same there would be no point to it.
Also, slagging me off because I'm a Pasha Grishuk fan & saying bad things about her IS being as bitchy as me !.
This could go on & on.
Also, Aussie Willy read all the posts on this board & then tell others off for being bitchy as well. Don't single me out.

MarieM
01-03-2012, 02:00 PM
At least Margaglio was decent when compared to some others "bronze olympic medallists" I will not name :P

nuge
01-03-2012, 02:34 PM
At least Margaglio was decent when compared to some others "bronze olympic medallists" I will not name :P

Ah yes you're right there ;):lol: