PDA

View Full Version : My Frigidaire microwave door will not close! Help!

BigB08822
12-31-2011, 07:18 PM
This afternoon I went to heat up my lunch in the microwave, as I closed the door I heard a little click and the door popped right back open. I thought I just didn't push hard enough but it turns out something is broken and the door will absolutely not close. The latch will not catch for some reason. I have no idea if the problem is with the latches on the door or with something inside the microwave that is supposed to catch and hold the latch. Now we have a microwave that is otherwise perfect but totally unusable. The door will not close and therefore the light will not turn off. I know it is just using up energy and I am worried about a fire hazard. I suspect the bulb will eventually die out, though. Has anyone ever experienced this? We have no clue what to do and we tried calling but the Frigidaire people are out for the holidays. We hate to buy a new microwave because of something as simple as a latch yet we don't want to pay big bucks to have it fixed. It it comes to that then our money will go to someone other than Frigidaire, for sure. It is a mountable microwave so I can't even try to take it apart, I don't even know how to get it down.

By the way, it is a Frigidaire FMV156DBC

I found people posting similar issues online but so far almost all of them have no responses. I figured I would turn to the smartest group of people I know. Any help would be appreciated. Otherwise we will have to wait until Monday to call.

PeterG
12-31-2011, 07:46 PM
Not a mechanic here, but...

I know it is just using up energy and I am worried about a fire hazard. I suspect the bulb will eventually die out, though.

...unplug it?

skipaway
12-31-2011, 08:22 PM
Not a mechanic here, but...

...unplug it?

A mechanic would have charged boatloads for that simple fix...:rofl:

susan6
12-31-2011, 08:27 PM
Just wedge a wooden spoon in the door to keep it closed. (Worked for Sandra Bullock's character in Miss Congeniality)

BigB08822
12-31-2011, 08:42 PM
Doh! I didn't even think about unplugging it. My bf's mom finally told us to unplug it and it sounded so obvious. LOL! I just never thought of it being plugged in because the cord is hidden in a cabinet.

I can't wedge the door shut, even if I did it still will not work. We had to tape it shut for now.

GarrAarghHrumph
01-01-2012, 01:02 AM
I am thinking the door latch has broken. It is possible to replace it, but it takes some work. A repair guy would probably, I'm thinking, just put in a whole new door, due to the difficulty of replacing just the latch. The cost of replacing the door is likely to be equal to buying a new microwave.

But do talk to the folks at the company, see what they say. It's a bit hard for me to really know what's wrong without seeing the thing; so I'm just making a somewhat educated guess.

BigB08822
01-01-2012, 05:17 AM
Thanks. If the cost of fixing it is close to or more than replacing it then we will just get a new microwave but NOT from Frigidaire. I absolutely refuse to pay the same as a new unit just to have someone come out and attach some plastic piece. That is not right and if I must spend that much then it will go to a new microwave with a fresh warranty on it so I don't have to worry about it for a few years, at least.

Rex
01-01-2012, 05:20 AM
Carol Anne, run away from the light :scream:.

Skate Talker
01-08-2012, 05:57 AM
That sure brings up memories. I don't know if any of you have ever come across this but some places, including I heard some hospitals, banned people from making microwave popcorn because the smell was just too tempting/distracting for others. Well I know where they are coming from on that. I made myself some microwave popcorn one day and also had the latch stop working, but in my case it wouldn't open. The smell drove me crazy. We took it in to an appliance repair place, where they fixed the latch for somewhat less than the cost of a new nuke, but I never really trusted it again so when something else went on it a couple of years later I didn't shed too many tears.

When our next oven had a problem we were able to find an appliance repair guy who actually prefers to make house calls and doesn't charge an arm and a leg.

BigB08822
01-08-2012, 06:57 AM
We finally decided to get a new one. We found a nice one at Conns for about $200 and another $90 to install. The price for fixing it would be $75 just for the visit and then the parts and labor which would be unknown until they got there. One guy was honest with me and told me that if it needed a new door that we should just get a new microwave. The one we found is not a Frigidaire and it will come with a new warranty so we wont have to worry for a while. Peace of mind is worth a little $$

Angelskates
01-08-2012, 11:39 AM
Why does a microwave need installation? Holy crap that's expensive!

milanessa
01-08-2012, 12:03 PM
Why does a microwave need installation? Holy crap that's expensive!

Lots of microwaves in the States are mounted under a cabinet - usually above the cooktop. Saves counter space.

ie - http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://remodelista.com/img/sub/uimg//06-2011/electrolux-microwave-blue-tile.jpg&imgrefurl=http://remodelista.com/posts/appliances-electrolux-over-the-range-microwave-oven-combo&h=462&w=475&sz=31&tbnid=Yww_Gr5OCdTqjM:&tbnh=89&tbnw=92&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dmicrowave%2Bmounted%2Babove%2Bstove%2 Bimages%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=microwave+mounted+above+stove+images&docid=WqSxlp_nNqhDfM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=dYUJT4KDHcnAtgfDzeWUCQ&sqi=2&ved=0CE0Q9QEwBg&dur=484

FigureSpins
01-08-2012, 04:28 PM
Our microwave is installed over the stove and provides a stove exhaust and light. The cabinet above it hides the electrical outlet/plug and the venting. We use the cabinet to store wine glasses since they don't need much space. (The available space is very shallow.)

Good use of space in place of a range hood, plus it's a handy place to put already-cooked food while you finish the rest of the meal.

I would love to get a new microwave - it's the last appliance left from the original owners and it's very noisy. We've already replaced the fridge, stove and dishwasher, so we're just waiting for the microwave to give us trouble and it's out of here!

In the OP's case, I would have replaced the whole unit, too. I wouldn't trust a fault door catch.