PDA

View Full Version : Johnny is married!

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

all_empty
01-02-2012, 05:02 PM
"the flamboyant star, known for his unique style and love of handbags" :lol: i love it!

http://www.toofab.com/2012/01/02/johnny-weir-weds-victor-voronov/

he does have quite the birkin collection

gkelly
01-02-2012, 06:15 PM
It will be interesting to see how and if the federation comments on this,

The fact that the topic is discussed in the IceNetwork article is a good sign. Unless he returns to competition I wouldn't expect more than that.

I am sure that if Johnny returns to competition, we are NOT going to get shots of Victor rooting for Johnny like Tanith rooting for Evan when they were "dating".

That would be up to the networks, primarily. Unless USFS gives them an ultimatum -- don't talk about Weir's personal life or else . . . or else what? We won't let you show our competition on TV? I don't think they're in a position to turn down media coverage.

So I think if the networks want to mention it, they will. Depends who they think their audience is.

REO
01-02-2012, 08:06 PM
Exactly. The federation would be shooting themselves in the foot to forbid a network to mention it, under threat of not allowing them to show their competitions, and they know darn well who their audience is.

I agree with Nomad but I would not mind if he proved us wrong.

Here's hoping Johnny and Vitya live happily ever after!

DickButtonFan
01-02-2012, 10:23 PM
Here's a yahoo article: http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/blog/fourth_place_medal/post/Skating-star-Johnny-Weir-married-on-New-Year-82?urn=oly-wp992

Latte
01-02-2012, 11:49 PM
Congrats Johnny and Victor!:40beers::40beers:

orbitz
01-03-2012, 04:34 AM
Maybe Gaga can walk Johny down the aisle, Elton John sings Eva Maria, and Ru Paul performs the marriage ceremony. Evan serves as the best man :D.

oakl0008
01-03-2012, 08:48 AM
Johnny & Victor! <3

grandma
01-03-2012, 10:35 AM
:respec:
"the flamboyant star, known for his unique style and love of handbags" :lol: i love it!

http://www.toofab.com/2012/01/02/johnny-weir-weds-victor-voronov/

he does have quite the birkin collection

grandma
01-03-2012, 10:36 AM
:respec:
I doubt that Weir will return to competition so the federation can continue to pretend that their gay skaters are "eligible bachelors". Props to Weir for being so public about it, though.

Jaana
01-03-2012, 11:10 AM
It will be interesting to see how and if the federation comments on this, I am sure that if Johnny returns to competition, we are NOT going to get shots of Victor rooting for Johnny like Tanith rooting for Evan when they were "dating".

Well, Tanith and Evan were dating, they even travelled together in holidays. Remembering Tanith´s report from Paris(?)... Although Weir happens to be gay, it does not mean that all the other male skaters of today have to be gay, too. It is strange how even some skating fans still believe automatically, that if one is a skater, one is gay... At least skating fans should know better!

briancoogaert
01-03-2012, 12:10 PM
I've seen him live for the first time at 2001 Trophee Lalique, and I've been impressed by his LP to the puppet master : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaTfJSpuTbw

Time goes by, it was 10 years ago !

OrioleBeagle
01-03-2012, 12:41 PM
Maybe Gaga can walk Johny down the aisle, Elton John sings Eva Maria, and Ru Paul performs the marriage ceremony. Evan serves as the best man :D.

:rofl:

Carolla5501
01-03-2012, 01:27 PM
Has there been any current national-level or higher competitor in a same-sex marriage? (Do we consider Johnny as a current competitor? I guess it depends whether he returns next year). Or even who speaks openly about a same-sex relationship? It reminds me of how any biopic of the guys always includes mention of the girlfriend/wife...would be interesting to see whether the biopic for Johnny cuts out the personal or includes. I would think it'd have to include it.

Considering the short amount of time "same sex" marriage has been legal in the US and the average age of the skaters...:rolleyes:

(And no, I don't considere him a "competitor". I doubt he will ever be a "force" to consider again. I don't expect Weir is going to be happy when he discovers that despite his "fame" he has to start at squre one and spend HOURS in the rink instead of "posing")

Sylvia
01-03-2012, 02:01 PM
I don't expect Weir is going to be happy when he discovers that despite his "fame" he has to start at squre one and spend HOURS in the rink instead of "posing")
He sounded fairly realistic in the recent Icenetwork article and seemed aware of what to expect when he begins training again: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20111229&content_id=26244748&vkey=ice_news

Is he serious about possibly returning to competition?

"We're keeping our lips tight about all that. I have made it no secret to my fans, especially, that I am resuming training with Galina at the end of January, and I want to see where I can go. If there is a moment for an official announcement that is yes -- or no, after training I realize I am too old and I have to retire -- then there will be some kind of announcement in the spring. But for now, I really want to close myself off from the world.

"I'm not saying no, I'm not saying yes. A yes or no will come soon. I am going to start training as though I were to come back."

Skittl1321
01-03-2012, 02:04 PM
Congratulations to Johnny. He and I share our anniversary now :)