PDA

View Full Version : Katy Perry, Russell Brand To Divorce

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12

Rex
01-03-2012, 07:08 PM
I can't stand Ke$ha's songs, but I do admire her marketing ability. The "unrepentant drunk girl the morning after a bender" shtick is rather clever IMHO - that kind of girl is out there, for sure, but nobody else has been brave/cheeky enough to pick up on that vibe & demographic.

You have a point, but I just find her homely and vocally challenged. But yeah, she knows how to package it.

Andora
01-03-2012, 08:23 PM
It's her dominant nature that makes her fail as an actor, IMO, because she can't trust anyone enough to allow herself to give an honest and vulnerable performance. Before people jump on my comment about Madonna and acting, I don't believe Madonna is capable of being a great actor, but I honestly believe she's capable better than what's she's given us for the most part.

I have a hard time judging Madonna as an actress, because she was great in two movies I love immensely. I get that in A League Of Their Own, it wasn't a part that called for much, but she was amazing in Evita. She actually overcame her own persona in that movie, I think, and managed to make me forget she was Madonna.

But then there's the rest... ;)

Aussie Willy
01-03-2012, 09:45 PM
She is a walking gimmick, like so many out there today. She's not as bad as Ke$ha, whom I can't stand.
Ke$ha is F%$@((&^* autotune personafied. P&%*%#&^&^ me off no end.

^ I heard that too. She and Natalie Portman were understudies for Laura Bell Bundy for the off-Broadway musical, Ruthless!
Is this a remake of Married with Children but as a musical, with a long lost Bundy kid making an appearance? :D

Can't we all just get along?

:drama:
NEVER! Then there would be no fun for the rest of us who read this stuff.

KikiSashaFan
01-03-2012, 10:38 PM
Wrong.

Kelly Clarkson >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> those three, especially Perry. At least Gaga and Madonna are entertaining. Perry is truly dire!
:D

We're both wrong. I gave it some more thought and I've now settled on this-

Kelly Clarkson AND Pink >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Gaga>>>>Madonna>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Katy Perry.

:slinkaway

Ziggy
01-03-2012, 10:39 PM
This.
Autotune is her friend. But she's not alone here. The days of true singers who could belt out songs without enhancements are seemingly gone. There are a few here and there, but nowadays it's all about having a gimmick.

There are plenty of artists who either can sing (as much as I can't stand her: Adele, even if she has no vocal technique) or who use a lot of studio engineering but to achieve interesting effects and not to cover up the fact they can't sing (Bon Iver's last album is a great example).

Gaga didn't just write songs for herself, she writes songs for other people.

She does. But the vast majority of the songs on her albums are co-written.

But yes you can argue that she genuinely co-writes her music instead of just sitting there and saying "oooh, I like that synth, can we use it in the chorus" like Madonna probably does. ;)

I don't know. I think the fact that she has talent makes it worse when she [Gaga] puts out crap. The Mileys of this world don't know any better.

That.

No, it wasn't. I think you're right, though I would hesitate to ever say her voice was really great. She uses a lot more autotune now than she used to have to, partially because her music is a lot more dance and electronic-oriented than before and partially, I suspect, because her voice has deteriorated.

I think it's rather more to do with her being pretty much a walking zombie. Just sayin'. :P

Can't we all just get along?

:drama:

No, because I HATE YOU. :mad:

gingercrush
01-03-2012, 11:37 PM
I have a hard time judging Madonna as an actress, because she was great in two movies I love immensely. I get that in A League Of Their Own, it wasn't a part that called for much, but she was amazing in Evita. She actually overcame her own persona in that movie, I think, and managed to make me forget she was Madonna.

But then there's the rest... ;)

Can I just say I really like her in Body of Evidence. OMG neo-noir at its most cheesiest.

VIETgrlTerifa
01-04-2012, 01:54 AM
Which in no way negates the accuracy of Cheylana's post :P

What can negate an opinion? No matter how wrong... :P

Anyway, I'm just Madonna's influence certainly reached Ms. Clarkson.

MacMadame
01-04-2012, 02:44 AM
I for one like the Mileys of this world.

I actually like Miley, too... as a person, though, not as a singer. (And, as with all people who are famous and I've never met, that liking her as a person has to be qualified with "or at least the person she seems to be.)

I also don't think the argument made by another poster that, well, grown-ups always hate their kids' music applies here. I love lots of new bands that weren't around when I was a kid. But these autotuned pop princesses that are mostly a flash in the pan can't really be compared to the Beatles and the Rolling Stones.

michiruwater
01-04-2012, 02:53 AM
This is the only time I've ever thought Miley Cyrus did a decent job singing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fdAB1eIwSs

I was shocked that I actually liked it, and not just for Dolly.

PeterG
01-04-2012, 03:54 AM
NEVER! Then there would be no fun for the rest of us who read this stuff.

Aussie Yeti, you are a MONSTER!!!

:(

:blinkinginnocently:

AnnieBgood
01-04-2012, 10:02 AM
Katy did write "I do not hook up" for Kelly. My least favorite Kelly song, and just proves that you can write, but that doesn't mean you're a good at it.->> Gaga

Aussie Willy
01-04-2012, 10:52 AM
Aussie Yeti, you are a MONSTER!!!

I think I am going to need to change my signature.

flyingsit
01-04-2012, 01:29 PM
Katy did write "I do not hook up" for Kelly. My least favorite Kelly song, and just proves that you can write, but that doesn't mean you're a good at it.->> Gaga

Yeah, that song was co-written by Katy Perry and Kara DioGuardi. Put two hacks together and you get a real POS song.

Rex
01-04-2012, 02:40 PM
There are plenty of artists who either can sing (as much as I can't stand her: Adele, even if she has no vocal technique) or who use a lot of studio engineering but to achieve interesting effects and not to cover up the fact they can't sing (Bon Iver's last album is a great example).
I like Adele; I love "belters". But I fear she does not take good care of her voice. I know people hate Celine Dion, but she will go for DAYS without talking so that she can preserve her voice...

Don't be hatin' Petah; we lurve him!

dbell1
01-04-2012, 03:14 PM
This is the only time I've ever thought Miley Cyrus did a decent job singing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fdAB1eIwSs

I was shocked that I actually liked it, and not just for Dolly.

Dolly Parton's voice makes everyone singing with her better. The woman knows pitch and phrasing.