View Full Version : Katy Perry, Russell Brand To Divorce

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

milanessa
01-02-2012, 12:59 AM
That's precisely what's terrifying.

Nice cleavage?

screech
01-02-2012, 01:06 AM
Brand was hilarious in Forgetting Sarah Marshall. I was drawn to him like I never thought I would be... :eek:

That's where I was first drawn to him, then I saw him during interviews and he just completely charmed me. I have to fully respect the fact that he is an open book, willing to talk about the good, bad and ugly about his life, whereas so many in the industry want to focus on just specific things.

I have nothing against Katy (aside from the spelling of her name), but I don't find her to be a talented singer. She promotes herself well and keeps herself in the public eye, which keeps people 'interested'. At least that's my opinion (though I look at Madonna the same way - she doesn't have a good voice but sure as hell can promote herself!)

MacMadame
01-02-2012, 04:53 AM
(though I look at Madonna the same way - she doesn't have a good voice but sure as hell can promote herself!)

I consider Madonna more genuinely creative than either Katy or Gaga.

VIETgrlTerifa
01-02-2012, 05:00 AM
^ Agreed to the 100th power. At least Madonna can pass herself as some sort of artist that genuinely tries to make a statement (even if people :eyeroll: at the statements she's trying to make) while Perry doesn't seem to have a real point of view on anything that's remotely interesting.

orbitz
01-02-2012, 05:23 AM
Katy is in her 20s. Madge is in her 50s. Maybe Katy's music will evolve. Maybe it will not. It's too early to tell, and it's not really fair to compare the two based on where they're currently at in their lives.

screech
01-02-2012, 05:56 AM
Katy is in her 20s. Madge is in her 50s. Maybe Katy's music will evolve. Maybe it will not. It's too early to tell, and it's not really fair to compare the two based on where they're currently at in their lives.

My initial post wasn't comparing the two based on where they currently are, I was comparing them based on their talent, which seems to lie in promoting yourself and regularly changing your look while not being that great of a singer. And while I am definitely not a fan, I do give Madonna absolute props for her career still going strong.

manhn
01-02-2012, 07:34 AM
I looooooooooove Katy Perry's music.

Just sayin'...

:yikes: :scream:

:kickass::):summer::respec: Teenage Dream is a friggin' brilliant pop song. Love Katy Perry!

rfisher
01-02-2012, 12:52 PM
Brand can get up to 50% of her earnings since apparently she earns more and the alimony will be paid by her. And according to GMA, she is indeed saying she didn't want to file for divorce due to her parent's religious beliefs.

cruisin
01-02-2012, 03:39 PM
According to the Daily Mail he was sick of her partying as he is no longer in that phase of his life

^^ That, if true, could be an issue. A recovering addict, could very well have a problem living with someone who is partying.

^ Agreed to the 100th power. At least Madonna can pass herself as some sort of artist that genuinely tries to make a statement (even if people :eyeroll: at the statements she's trying to make) while Perry doesn't seem to have a real point of view on anything that's remotely interesting.

You think that about just Perry? Or do you think that about Gaga too? I am not a big Gaga music fan, but I think she is light years more talented than Madonna. For her piano playing alone.

I'm not a Katy Perry fan, but I don't dislike her. She is very pretty, talent...? I'm not surprised that they are divorcing. Even though she has gone through a major 190 image change, I just thought she was wrong for the more raunchy Brand.

michiruwater
01-02-2012, 04:03 PM
Gaga is way more talented than either of them, but I also think she's the biggest sell out because of it. She out-gimmicks either of them, especially Katy. Katy's only gimmick is dressing in barely-there outfits (with a weird penchant for fruit, if I remember correctly), which puts her on the same level as most other female pop stars (with some obvious exceptions).

And in all honesty, I would rather listen to Katy's music than Gaga's. Everyone is derivative, including Katy, but Gaga is super derivative to the point where you can hear the song that inspired her behind her own stuff. Half the time I hear her I walk away with the other band stuck in my head. Bad Romance is about the best pop tune released in years, but that's the only song I like on that whole CD. Katy's voice is weaker (and she's a solid alto while for some reason all her music is writte in the mezzo-soprano range) and she's waaaay less talented but her music is, to me, catchier.

I'm not arguing for any of them. I've just never understood why Katy gets so much more vitriol than any other current pop star.

Jenny
01-02-2012, 04:10 PM
One thing I'll give Katy points for is that she sings with her own voice, unlike many popstars who rely on a lot of effects etc to create their sound. Interesting what BigB said about Dr Luke though, and what that will mean to Katy's sound (and career) going forward.

As for Gaga, IMO the only thing she's good at is producing the odd catchy hook and getting attention for herself. She's nowhere near the talent of Madonna IMO, and will not have the career and wide influence that Madonna has, and that she has had since the earliest days of her career.

Russell is just greasy to me; don't see the appeal at all.

Ziggy
01-02-2012, 04:31 PM
Nice cleavage?

Stepford Wives with a twist.

Love or hate Madonna she has very cleverly took charge of her career from the very beginning and she has remained on the very top for an unprecedented amount of time for usually very fleeting pop careers.

Perry is just another hollow pop vessel, a puppet for her record company.

PeterG
01-02-2012, 05:05 PM
This is like 1985 all over again. Remember when we all talked about how Madonna was so much more talented than Cyndi Lauper and how Lauper was a flash in the pan who would go nowhere?

Interesting what BigB said about Dr Luke though, and what that will mean to Katy's sound (and career) going forward.

Ain't that the truth? Most interesting statement of the decade, IMHO.

Ziggy
01-02-2012, 05:26 PM
This is like 1985 all over again. Remember when we all talked about how Madonna was so much more talented than Cyndi Lauper and how Lauper was a flash in the pan who would go nowhere?

But 23 years later, Cyndi Lauper has released one of the most fun party albums ever. :cheer:

orbitz
01-02-2012, 06:15 PM

You have this in reverse. Time magazine had both Madonna and Lauper on its cover in the 80. It predicted Lauper to have a long music career whereas Madonna will soon quit music and become a movie star.