PDA

View Full Version : Katy Perry, Russell Brand To Divorce

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12]

bek
01-08-2012, 11:33 PM
That bugs me about Christina Aguilera also - she oversings often, focusing on the fact that she can do vocal acrobatics, totally ignoring nuance and subtlety. It is almost like if Stephane Lambiel did a backflip while skating to Mozart or something.

Exactly. Part of what music is is also being to put in feeling/sound behind the music. Now obviously a lot of lyrics SUCK today. But still. Aguilera's "Beautiful" is probably one of her best vocal recordings, partly because the writer/producer of the song, insisted that the first tape of the song (when she was just learning) it be the original tape. (I.e didn't give Aguilera enough time to get the rips in it.)

Christina, Celine etc have much better voices than lets say Beyonce (not that Beyonce has a bad voice by any means). But I can imagine either of them singing Irreplaceable and singing it so hard that it ruins that song. (What I love about Irreplaceable is that its song in a wistful kind of way even if the words are "go.")

Aussie Willy
01-09-2012, 01:25 AM
I just saw in the newspaper that the singer Katy Perry and the comedian/actor Russell Brand might be separating/divorcing.

So sad!!! :(
Sssshhh. It might lead to discussions about other more talented artists.

overedge
01-09-2012, 01:50 AM
But she was poor though? How many kids did Momma Dion have - she was like a mini-Duggar!

Celine is the youngest of 14 kids, and she grew up in a rural and poor area of Quebec. So part of her narrative is that she had to overcome being rejected because she was not from urban Quebec (so she was seen as a poor kid from the country), and then because she didn't/couldn't sing in English (so she was rejected by the larger Canadian music industry), and then she was from Quebec and not from France (so she had to overcome the inherent snobbiness of European Francophones to Quebecois Francophones), etc. etc.

Aussie Willy
01-09-2012, 02:51 AM
Celine is the youngest of 14 kids, and she grew up in a rural and poor area of Quebec. So part of her narrative is that she had to overcome being rejected because she was not from urban Quebec (so she was seen as a poor kid from the country), and then because she didn't/couldn't sing in English (so she was rejected by the larger Canadian music industry), and then she was from Quebec and not from France (so she had to overcome the inherent snobbiness of European Francophones to Quebecois Francophones), etc. etc.
Sometimes rejection only makes people more determined and stronger. Unfortunately for ACDC this was one of the consequences.

Ziggy
01-09-2012, 11:19 AM
I think you are correct. Do you like Joss Stone at all?

Huge talent. Doesn't just have a fantastic, original voice but is also capable of actually doing interesting things with it and interpret songs instead of just belting them out (a'la Celine and Mariah)

It is a real shame that her career totally tanked because of deciding it would be a fantastic idea to be managed by her mum (who knows as much about the music industry as I do about particle physics).

I just saw in the newspaper that the singer Katy Perry and the comedian/actor Russell Brand might be separating/divorcing.

So sad!!! :(

SHUSH!

This thread just became good now that we moved on to more worthwhile topics.

P.S. This morning as I was taking a shower I was thinking about how Katy Perry is one of the most revolting marketing ploys with her "oh-so-cutting edge-but-wholesome-at-the-same-time" shtick.

I wonder how the public would react to somebody singing "I kissed a black and I like it (taste of the Jerk chicken on his lips)" and whether it would be acceptable too. :P