PDA

View Full Version : coaches who never skated vs coaches who were ex-skaters

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

aliceanne
01-02-2012, 03:07 PM
IIRC Kerry Leitch competed at the junior national level in Canada but never placed very well. Did he perhaps mean that he was never an elite skater?

I thought I read that Leitch was disqualified from Olympic eligible competition because he accepted money to play minor league baseball. Under the rules of the time he was therefore considered a professional athlete.

fan
01-02-2012, 03:52 PM
The only names that come to mind of well-known coaches who never skated are Joanne Macleod (whose training is in modern dance IIRC) ).

really? no skating training? this might explain her students' technique

blue_idealist
01-09-2012, 04:10 AM
I wasn't even aware that there were some coaches who never skated, wow. Maybe that's why Joanne McLeod's students have consistency issues..

blue_idealist
01-09-2012, 04:10 AM
Lol I see the person above me kind of thought the same thing! :P

A.H.Black
01-09-2012, 05:50 AM
Did Lussi teach Button his basic skills? I thought Lussi's main contribution to skating was to break down the existing technique for jumping and spinning and based on physics improve it. His later students were already elites.
Between my memory and online sources - Dick Button didn't start with Lussi but he wasn't an elite skater either. When he started to be serious about skating, it was only a few months before he was with Lussi. Same think with Dorothy Hamill - she wasn't a brand new skater but she was still quite young when she begged her parents to let her train with Mr. Lussi.

If you ever get a chance to see the short documentary - Gustave Lussi: The Man Who Changed Skating - it's well worth it.