PDA

View Full Version : ISU Posts "Calculation Error" in GPF FD

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

soxxy
12-29-2011, 01:49 AM
I hadn't seen this posted elsewhere. Virtue and Moir would have won the free dance.

http://www.isu.org/vsite/vnavsite/page/directory/0,10853,4844-205151-222374-nav-list,00.html?id=985

ETA: Oops, I found it. lol

Louise
12-29-2011, 01:54 AM
Oh boy, can you imagine if this happened a couple weeks after the Olympics and the results were different? Not good. Reminds me somewhat of how Hamm won his all around Oly title by mathematical error.

peibeck
12-29-2011, 01:59 AM
Hmmm, I wonder how could the calculation error have been in the program for only one comp?

I foresee lots of :drama: already.

Lacey
12-29-2011, 02:17 AM
Wow, just wow.

Japanfan
12-29-2011, 02:21 AM
Scott Moir must be feeling very vindicated and having a very good day.

The calculation program used up to and including the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final had erroneously calculated the Dance result with the previous Grade of Execution (GOE) for the Combination Lift, which was upgraded with ISU Communication 1677 in July 2011.

What does 'previous' mean? It would seem it refers to a rule change that was implemented this season? In that case, might there not be calculation errors in other programs as well?

The Accordion
12-29-2011, 02:22 AM
Aha! A pissoff!

aka_gerbil
12-29-2011, 02:28 AM
What does 'previous' mean? It would seem it refers to a rule change that was implemented this season? In that case, might there not be calculation errors in other programs as well?

It seems that the GOE for combination lifts was changed in the rules between last season and this season, but that change somehow didn't make it into the sekret computer.

They said that they went back through other results from this season and didn't find another instance where the miscalculation affected the placements.

shuilee
12-29-2011, 02:29 AM
I wonder if Weaver & Poje should have won NHK gold medal over Shibs because of the computer bug.....they did lose by 0.1...they'll have to review all the competitions this year!

Hopefully someone knows more about the details of this error. What element specifically was it, and did they use the wrong GoE multiplication factor, etc?

caseyedwards
12-29-2011, 02:29 AM
Interesting! So D/W has been beaten this season in something! VM is closer.

modern_muslimah
12-29-2011, 02:36 AM
Intersting! So D/W has been beaten this season in something! VM is closer.

V/M and D/W were always very close this season. The difference would've been 0.5 points. Either way, these two teams are going to be neck and neck the entire season and probably all the way to Sochi.

Louise
12-29-2011, 02:39 AM
They said that they went back through other results from this season and didn't find another instance where the miscalculation affected the placements.

RIGHT!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

danafan
12-29-2011, 02:49 AM

Placements, sure but what about accurate season and personal best scores? Will they be corrected?

Is there any current avenue for skaters or coaches to protest such errors in relative real time?

overedge
12-29-2011, 02:50 AM

And I believe that fairies live in the woods and that Donald Trump is going to give me all his money tomorrow.

iggie
12-29-2011, 03:00 AM
they only did random checks of previous events, nothing thorough.

Macassar88
12-29-2011, 03:05 AM
I wonder if Weaver & Poje should have won NHK gold medal over Shibs because of the computer bug.....they did lose by 0.1...they'll have to review all the competitions this year!

Hopefully someone knows more about the details of this error. What element specifically was it, and did they use the wrong GoE multiplication factor, etc?

Weaver and Poje did two simple lifts instead of a combo