PDA

View Full Version : Armin moves to Colorado

Pages : [1] 2

Jem X
12-28-2011, 11:28 PM
Didn't see this posted:

http://www.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20111228&content_id=26240550&vkey=ice_news

Sylvia
12-28-2011, 11:30 PM
I posted the article in the "Holiday Dreams on Ice" show thread in GSD but more people are likely to open this thread. ;) I've also mentioned the news in both the US Ladies and Men's threads in the Trash Can.

shan
12-28-2011, 11:51 PM
So who is still being coached by Priscilla Hill?

UMBS Go Blue
12-29-2011, 12:05 AM
Her raccoon furs and possum earrings? :P

Sylvia
12-29-2011, 12:08 AM
So who is still being coached by Priscilla Hill?
See my post in the US Men's thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3416966&postcount=714
I think Viktor Pfeifer is still with Hill?

winterone
12-29-2011, 02:38 AM
He sounds kinda desperate in the article.

LilJen
12-29-2011, 02:50 AM
"I'm looking for some stability in my training, and I think Colorado will give me that,"
Huh. Kinda makes me wonder if something is going on with Priscilla Hill, or with the rinks she coaches at?

He *did* give up a spot at Dartmouth to continue skating. . . that's a big sacrifice.

Anyway: The thread title gave me :yikes: that he was going to Tom Z, which woulda been a disaster. . . thankfully, he's not.

kwanfan1818
12-29-2011, 03:34 AM
Considering that he mocked Laura Lepisto for her technical content when she won World bronze in 2010, he hasn't exactly been skating up a storm this year:

Skate America 2011 TES
SP: 33.60
FS: 61.12*

NHK 2011 TES:
SP: 33.72
FS: 56.87*

*With one more jumping pass than Ladies and 30 more seconds to fit in transitions. The difference in base between L2 and L3 CH step sequence (.3-1.3) is essentially negated by doubling the value for each GOE step. (Mahbahnoozadeh was never a two-L4 step kind of guy.)

Lepisto 2010 Worlds TES:
SP: 34.98
FS: 54.24

Although his FS totals in 2011 were greater than Lepisto's total of 114.32, as a Men's skater, he received almost 12 points alone in his Skate America FS and a little over 11 at NHK for the 20% higher PCS factor that Men are given, and his base PCS score was lower than Lepisto's base PCS score. Were all things equal, his FS scores this year would not have surpassed Lepisto's 2010 Worlds FS total.

BittyBug
12-29-2011, 03:39 AM
I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make, as Armin hasn't won a World bronze with his current content, has he? He's struggling, he has acknowledged that he's struggling, and he's making changes to try to turn things around. What does a comment that he made almost two years ago have to do with his current situation?

paskatefan
12-29-2011, 12:23 PM
I'm stunned by this news. :eek: We'll miss him on the east coast :(, but I do hope this all works out all for the best for him. Hope he Skates great @ US Nationals next month!

olympic
12-29-2011, 02:55 PM
He has a lot to offer skating and I hope he does well. The article mentioned a laser-like focus on Nationals and the Quad. I think he see the writing on the wall and is desperate to overcome being left behind. We will see if that strategy motivates him properly or will creates bigger psych issues. He doesn't have a lot of time between now and Nats

orbitz
12-29-2011, 03:14 PM
Considering that he mocked Laura Lepisto for her technical content when she won World bronze in 2010, he hasn't exactly been skating up a storm this year:

Considering that it was over a year ago and he has since apologized why drag it back up again ?

mysticchic
12-29-2011, 05:01 PM
Don't think "desperation" figures into it. Living and training at the OTC offers so many advantages, including an environment that encourages even greater achievement & focus, that as is mentioned in the article Armin thinks it can be a benefit to his particular situation and he owes it to himself to try it.

Frau Muller
12-29-2011, 05:12 PM
Armin must do what he must do. Hmmm....this is a bit sad for Priscilla Hill. Her training style -- more 'pal' than 'coach,' as evidenced on the Johnny Weir reality show -- doesn't seem to be helping her students, unless they are incredibly disciplined on their own. I may be wrong, as I don't follow her non-elite (younger) pupils.

leapfrogonice
12-29-2011, 09:38 PM
Considering the disappointment he must have felt coming off of his Grand Prix events, IMO he did the right thing. That is, to shake things up and find a way to get fresh motivation. Armin is a very well rounded young man with opportunities to pursue many paths in life, and one gets the sense that he has a fighting spirit. One may use the word "desperate" but this seems harsh/pessimistic. I think more along the lines of "courageous" frankly. It takes a lot for anyone to make big changes, and he sounds like someone determined to end his season (whether it ends at Nationals or beyond) with no regrets.

The level of competition in men's is so intense, with differences that contribute to points between them, razor thin. A bold approach, fresh programs, and renewed energy could be just what he needs to feel completely satisfied that he has done everything that he can do heading into arguably the most important (as it determines US team envelopes, and perspectives on next season's international assignments) competition of his season.

Ironically, it makes me wonder whether Brandon will see something positive in this as well. Seeing another practice partner approach training with renewed motivation can either be deflating or inspiring. Hopefully it will be the latter for him as well.