PDA

View Full Version : Should GPF be moved to after Worlds?

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

AJ Skatefan
12-30-2011, 01:44 AM
Nope. Too anticlimactic to have it after worlds. I do remember one year when the GPF was held in February after all the Nationals, but then you cut into prep time for Euros/4CCs.

They did that for a few years didn't they? It seemed dumb to me. That was also when they had the "Super Final."

loulou
12-30-2011, 02:01 PM
Oh, so you do agree with me, that even though you sited one skater who's ego doesn't need to be massaged by yet another national title, the GP series should continue as it is. Good to know :blah: :blah: :blah:

You're doing it again: you put words in my mouth I never said.
And you complement them with bashing icons.

I honestly can't see the fun in that, but you be my guest.

-- Oh. Savchenko/Szolkowy are skipping nationals too. Anyone knows if they claimed injuries?

npavel
12-30-2011, 08:45 PM
-- Oh. Savchenko/Szolkowy are skipping nationals too. Anyone knows if they claimed injuries?

No, they said it in the beginning of the season. They went to 3 GP but will skip Nationals.

Susan M
12-31-2011, 02:14 AM
Actually, if you want to achieve more time between their nationals and GP events, you would have to either move the nationals to later ...or move the whole GP events including the final to earlier...

If you just look at the fall calendar, the GP series and Final seem to be spaced OK. There just don't seem to be enough weeks between the GP final and Worlds to fit in Nationals and Europeans/4C and still leave skaters time for good rest and preparation before Worlds. I think the solution with fewest repercussions would be to push Worlds back a couple weeks in future. (Actually, I think the last few Worlds have been scheduled a week later than they used to be.) The only things that impacts are the post-season tours and shows, which could just run a bit later. The skaters seem to have been able to handle the shortened summer after 2011 Worlds, and making Worlds the first or second week of April would leave more "off season" time than they had this year.

loulou
12-31-2011, 02:28 PM
No, they said it in the beginning of the season. They went to 3 GP but will skip Nationals.

Thanks.

berthesghost
12-31-2011, 02:44 PM
I question the importance of the Grand Prix Final to begin with.
thank you!
IMO the relevance wore off before the novelty even did, and it's proven to be total crap at predicting worlds.

bardtoob
01-01-2012, 04:27 AM
No, the GP Final should be at the end of the GP Series.

However, I do think the GP Final should be more prestigious and that winners of national championships should get automatic berths to Euros, 4 CC, and Worlds in addition to skaters with high points averages.

ostile17
01-02-2012, 04:40 PM
See below:

I think she said she needed a break after multiple events in different continents, in order to properly prepare for Europeans and Worlds.

:rolleyes:

l'etoile
01-02-2012, 05:57 PM
Like majority of people here already said, NO.

pani
01-02-2012, 06:08 PM
In past GPF was in March i think - before WCh.

Susan M
01-02-2012, 11:12 PM
In past GPF was in March i think - before WCh.
It was anywhere from late January to early March, except in Olympic years, when it was moved to December. I think having it in December works a lot better. For one thing, it happens about the same time each year now, as well as providing closure to the GP events. When it was later, it seemed so random and irrelevant. It also caused total chaos, competing for dates with Europeans and 4 Continents and, for some countries, January Nationals.

query5
01-03-2012, 05:58 PM
a cutally no--

they should move up the senior gp events to concide with the junior gp event.

if they skated separately in the past junior gp final and senior gp final. i could see it. but since they skate the same.

they should start senior gp events2nd weekend /last weekend of october and run 6 weeks from there, which would put the gp final in november-last or first weekend in december.

briancoogaert
01-03-2012, 05:58 PM
It was anywhere from late January to early March, except in Olympic years, when it was moved to December. I think having it in December works a lot better. For one thing, it happens about the same time each year now, as well as providing closure to the GP events. When it was later, it seemed so random and irrelevant. It also caused total chaos, competing for dates with Europeans and 4 Continents and, for some countries, January Nationals.
Plus, if you organize GPF in March, with GP series in October/November, the 6 skaters will have to wait until March to compete against each others ? It makes no sense, IMO.