PDA

View Full Version : Should GPF be moved to after Worlds?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

julieann
12-29-2011, 01:27 PM
See below:

I think she said she needed a break after multiple events in different continents, in order to properly prepare for Europeans and Worlds.

So you want to move the entire grand prix because of one skater who already won multiple national titles? :scream: What does multiple events even mean... is it shows or competitions or what?

loulou
12-29-2011, 02:01 PM
So you want to move the entire grand prix because of one skater who already won multiple national titles? :scream: What does multiple events even mean... is it shows or competitions or what?

Would you be kind enough to show me where I ever stated I want the entire grand prix moved?

I'd like to see it. Expecially when you call me out on it. So politely, with the scream icon to complement it.

ballettmaus
12-29-2011, 02:06 PM
I think she said she needed a break after multiple events in different continents, in order to properly prepare for Europeans and Worlds.

I guess this shows how much skater value a national title over a GPF title. Who is there in Italy to challenge Kostner's national title? She could have competed, sure but why not get the bye and rest instead? It's not exactly a fierce competition in Italy.
Same for the two Russian pairs, though there is more competition of course. I have no idea what kind of injury they have but I would assume they're minor. Still, they thought it was best to rest and sit out nationals which I find understandable. They would most likely have been 1-2 and they get the bye.

I'd rather be Grand Prix Final Champion or win a medal there than a national title if were any of those top skaters.

As for those skaters who claimed they were tired - other skaters competed in the GPF and did better and there were a lot of skaters before them who competed in the GPF and did well at their nationals afterwards. Maybe it doesn't have anything to do with the GP season, maybe it's their training habits I cannot comment on, maybe it's just the time of year or a million other reasons that they're tired.

loulou
12-29-2011, 02:23 PM
Who is there in Italy to challenge Kostner's national title? She could have competed, sure but why not get the bye and rest instead? It's not exactly a fierce competition in Italy.

Why not get the bye and rest instead of competing at nationals?
There are valid reasons.

Part of it is in your words: it's not exactly a fierce competition.

There's a whole country that supported Kostner for many years (financially too), through the good and the bad, that in my opinion deserves to see her at nationals, as a form of respect and gratitude. And so do her opponents, even if they are weaker.

As for those skaters who claimed they were tired - other skaters competed in the GPF and did better and there were a lot of skaters before them who competed in the GPF and did well at their nationals afterwards. Maybe it doesn't have anything to do with the GP season

I'm sure skaters who attended four grand prix events (by choice, they could have done three) are tired.
But as I've written before, if there are compelling reasons for them to show up at nationals, they do so anyway.
It would be nice to see among those compelling reasons some spontaneous thrive for your home country most important event.

julieann
12-29-2011, 04:42 PM
Would you be kind enough to show me where I ever stated I want the entire grand prix moved?

I'd like to see it. Expecially when you call me out on it. So politely, with the scream icon to complement it.

Oh, so you do agree with me, that even though you sited one skater who's ego doesn't need to be massaged by yet another national title, the GP series should continue as it is. Good to know :blah: :blah: :blah:

Marco
12-29-2011, 05:42 PM
If you move it back by 2 weeks, it will be over Christmas. I don't think that would be fair.

I meant move back as in earlier (i.e. start in mid October etc).

euterpe
12-29-2011, 06:13 PM
I meant move back as in earlier (i.e. start in mid October etc).

Then two GP events would overlap two JGP events, which would make it tough for Pairs teams who do both GP and JGP (though maybe it would be a GOOD thing for Pairs NOT to do both GP and JGP).

That would also leave only a week or two between the early Senior Bs (Nebelhorn, Nepela, Finlandia) and the GPs. You can't move everything back.

hanca
12-29-2011, 06:33 PM
Or JGP would have to be moved too, which means that everyone would have shorter time for preparation (shorter break between two seasons, less time to heal and have a rest).

briancoogaert
12-29-2011, 07:13 PM
IIRC, Brian Joubert skipped Nationals one year because of Grand-Prix final.
I think it may happen in countries with not so much adversity.

hanca
12-29-2011, 08:11 PM
As for those skaters who claimed they were tired - other skaters competed in the GPF and did better and there were a lot of skaters before them who competed in the GPF and did well at their nationals afterwards. Maybe it doesn't have anything to do with the GP season, maybe it's their training habits I cannot comment on, maybe it's just the time of year or a million other reasons that they're tired.

Really? Let's look at it closer. In GPF there were only Tuktamysheva, Leonova, Kostner, Suzuki and Czisny. So who out of them is actually the one who competed at GPF and then did well at nationals? Leonova and Tuktamysheva both did not do very well, and both said that they were tired. (well, for Leonova we heard it from her coach before the event, from Tuktamysheva we heard it in interview afterwards). Kostner did not do nationals at all. Czisny did not do them yet, so she will have more time than the others from GPF to rest and then prepare herself. And that leaves us with Suzuki, who skated her worst skate this season at Japanese nationals. I am not sure who exactly you mean that competed at GPF and then did well at nationals that took place in December. At least from ladies.

Mind you, from men - Brezina did not do well either at nationals in December, Canada did not have nationals yet so Chan will have time to rest and then prepare himself (the same for Abbott), I don't know when Spanish nationals are and so that leaves us only with the Japanese guys who competed at GPF and then soon after at nationals. I am not sure how they skated there, I did not watch it. I know Takahashi won, but if he skated well, I don't know.

The thing is, if the GPF is in the middle of December and a week later are the nationals (Czech ones were 16-17.12), and if a skater did 3 GP events and GP final, that's five competitions within perhaps 8 weeks. That's a lot, especially with travelling accross the continents, different time zones etc.

pinky166
12-29-2011, 09:06 PM
No? The most important competition, Worlds, should come last. Without the GPF in the winter, the first half of the skating season would be very anticlimactic. Also it's nice to see medalists at different GPs go head to head to see how they all stack up and then see how they have changed/improved by the time Worlds roles around and if anyone absent at the GPF steps up their game majorly and sneaks in to steal the show.

euterpe
12-29-2011, 09:21 PM
The GPF is difficult for skaters from federations who have their Nationals in December. Unfortunately, many of the top skaters ARE from those federations.

Then again, those skaters have their regional ISU championships (Euros, 4CC) a long enough time after their Nationals so they can recuperate.

Canada and the US have their nationals in mid-to-late January (about the same time frame as Euros) and have time to recoup between the GPF and Nationals----but then 4CC comes right on the heels of Nationals and when 4CC is in an Asian country (which it has been 3 of the last 4 seasons), long distance travel adds to the exhaustion factor.

leapfrogonice
12-29-2011, 09:58 PM
I think the timing makes total sense. It caps the end of the "first half" of the season so to speak. And, if the Grand Prix truly is a "series" it is logically for it to end with the "final(e)" right at its conclusion.

Kasey
12-30-2011, 12:06 AM
Nope

RD
12-30-2011, 12:08 AM
I'm noticing that a lot of the GPF skaters are kinda blowing it or withdrawing from their Nationals. Its pretty unfortunate to see so many top skaters really losing steam after the GP series and final- so many comps in a row really takes a toll. Would it be better to move the final so these skaters can focus on their Nationals and Euros/4CC properly?

Nope. Too anticlimactic to have it after worlds. I do remember one year when the GPF was held in February after all the Nationals, but then you cut into prep time for Euros/4CCs.