PDA

View Full Version : Should GPF be moved to after Worlds?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

Braulio
12-28-2011, 04:43 PM
No, in the case that it could be taking place after worlds, then many of the top skaters would end up withdrawing of the event

The GPrix and GPF are the first half of the season to debut programs, get feedback, make adjustments towards the īreal dealī that is nationals-europeans-4cc-worlds

Braulio
12-28-2011, 04:45 PM
No, in the case that it could be taking place after worlds, then many of the top skaters would end up withdrawing of the event

The GPrix and GPF are the first half of the season to debut programs, get feedback, make adjustments towards the īreal dealī that is nationals-europeans-4cc-worlds

Jarrett
12-28-2011, 04:46 PM
No but I do think US Nationals should be moved... lol

cygnus
12-28-2011, 06:18 PM
No. Remember when the GPF was in February/March and many skaters used to withdraw because it was too close to Worlds/4ccs/Euros. And it made little sense having it then. After Worlds, which is the "climax" of a non-Olympic year it would be silly. That's when they go on tours/take a break etc.

It makes logical sense to have the fall as the GP season, with the GPF as the final event. Then the Nationals in December/January, then the "continental" championships, then Worlds. It's a logical buildup to the biggest competition.

loulou
12-28-2011, 06:57 PM
I don't see any skaters dropping out just because the GPF was too taxing.

Look closer.

Burn outs/withdrawals do not seem like an issue for North American skaters, whose nationals are set for mid-January (Canadian nationals) and late January (US nationals). So it's all a matter of scheduling - I've noticed that majority of European and Japanese nationals are held during the mid-late December.

Trade-off is that European/Japanese skaters have plenty of time to prepare for European/4CC, whereas North American skaters, especially the US skaters have barely two weeks to prepare for 4CC.

So again, it's all matter of scheduling.

I don't think it's all about scheduling.

If a skater has a reason to show up at nationals (say: the federation won't be too inclined on looking the other way, the athlete has to prove himself/herself, money is at stake), the skater shows up whatever the schedule is.
Infact, Japanese nationals are always full roster, even though japanese skaters are often in the GPF.

That said: having too many events and too little time to rest and train isn't going to keep skaters healthy, nor is going to improve figure skating as a sport.

ISU should see what their ultimate goal is: whether to have fans entartained pratically all year long, or fewer events and higher skating quality.

Jarrett
12-28-2011, 07:09 PM
Look closer.

I don't think it's all about scheduling.

If a skater has a reason to show up at nationals (say: the federation won't be too inclined on looking the other way, the athlete has to prove himself/herself, money is at stake), the skater shows up whatever the schedule is.
Infact, Japanese nationals are always full roster, even though japanese skaters are often in the GPF.

That said: having too many events and too little time to rest and train isn't going to keep skaters healthy, nor is going to improve figure skating as a sport.

ISU should see what their ultimate goal is: whether to have fans entartained pratically all year long, or fewer events and higher skating quality.
or you could just give examples...:blah:

julieann
12-28-2011, 07:35 PM
Look closer.

:rofl:

I don't think so, you name them.

Name the "top skaters" who appear as if they are "losing steam" after the GP series and/or GPF so much that they can't perform at a their Nationals?

I certainly haven't heard that there is some sort of epidemic that would cause they whole fall skating schedule to be changed.

hanca
12-28-2011, 07:55 PM
:rofl:

I don't think so, you name them.

Name the "top skaters" who appear as if they are "losing steam" after the GP series and/or GPF so much that they can't perform at a their Nationals?

I certainly haven't heard that there is some sort of epidemic that would cause they whole fall skating schedule to be changed.

I know only about a few.
Brezina - performed at nationals but his FS was a mess.
Top two pairs were off Russian nationals (though it is because of injury).
Somewhere I read that Morozov recommended Leonova not to do the nationals and rest instead. She did compete though.
Tuktamysheva mentioned in the interview that it was quite difficult for her, that she felt quite tired. (and finished lower than it was expected.)

I am wondering, as most of them are Russians, could it be that they have far too many tests skates during the season? It must be difficult to stay in the top form all the time.

julieann
12-28-2011, 08:39 PM
I know only about a few.
Brezina - performed at nationals but his FS was a mess.
Top two pairs were off Russian nationals (though it is because of injury).
Somewhere I read that Morozov recommended Leonova not to do the nationals and rest instead. She did compete though.
Tuktamysheva mentioned in the interview that it was quite difficult for her, that she felt quite tired. (and finished lower than it was expected.)

I am wondering, as most of them are Russians, could it be that they have far too many tests skates during the season? It must be difficult to stay in the top form all the time.

But none of those examples can be because the GP season was too taxing. K/S and V/T were injured and may have been if it were the summer, it just so happened to be the beginning of December. The other two went to nationals and didn't do as well as they had wished, what ever their excuses were.

I doubt the test skates had anything to do with because it didn't look like most of them did anything 100%.

Vagabond
12-28-2011, 08:41 PM
Carolina Kostner skipped the recent Italian Championships, and she wasn't injured.

love_skate2011
12-29-2011, 12:22 AM
No, because GPF is like the barometer on who will peak at Worlds Champ.
in a way its a further building block for their performance

skateboy
12-29-2011, 08:41 AM
I question the importance of the Grand Prix Final to begin with. The Grand Prix events are fine, but IMO the final seems like just another event the top skaters have to contend with.

loulou
12-29-2011, 09:19 AM
I don't see any skaters dropping out just because the GPF was too taxing.

See below:

Carolina Kostner skipped the recent Italian Championships, and she wasn't injured.

I think she said she needed a break after multiple events in different continents, in order to properly prepare for Europeans and Worlds.

hanca
12-29-2011, 10:10 AM
I question the importance of the Grand Prix Final to begin with. The Grand Prix events are fine, but IMO the final seems like just another event the top skaters have to contend with.

Oh, come on! Of course the GPF is important!

Marco
12-29-2011, 11:01 AM
Oh, come on! Of course the GPF is important!

Exactly! It pre-told Lipinski and Slutskaya becoming threats to the Kween in 1997 and 2000.

Plus it was really the only major senior international event that Cohen won. :P