PDA

View Full Version : If Ksenia Makarova stayed for US...

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

haribobo
12-28-2011, 01:15 AM
Its funny to think that when Ksenia switched from US to Russia in 2007, Russia was looking quite weak in ladies and it surely made a ton of sense at the time. :o She was coming off a 7th place finish in novice at 2007 US Nationals whereas Doronina and Ievleva were leading the Russian senior ladies that year. The last 2 years, she was essentially as successful at Worlds as the US ladies. Would she have made the US world teams in 2010 and 2011? How would you rank her against the top US ladies this year?

The look on her face when her FS results came up at Nationals today was pretty telling- she and her team seemed kind of stunned. I wonder if she thinks about how different her path would be if she stayed in US.

Sylvia
12-28-2011, 01:27 AM
I wonder if she thinks about how different her path would be if she stayed in US.
IMO, I doubt it. I think she made the right decision, switching when she did, and she had a little luck as well. Luck and timing are two crucial ingredients for skating success -- especially in making an Olympic team -- along with skill and hard work, of course.

millipied
12-28-2011, 02:16 AM
Well, with that jump content and that god awful, Razzie worthy LP, what did she expect?

reese
12-28-2011, 02:39 AM
Her LP this year is one of the worst I've ever seen. But putting that aside, she did make it to the Olympics skating for Russia; that's nothing to be embarassed about. Looking down the line at next year, of course the path is much easier in the ladies field in the US, but these things are cyclical. The grass is always greener. She made a choice a few years ago and she's had a lot of success and a lot of international opportunities skating for Russia.

feraina
12-28-2011, 06:36 AM
To be honest, Makarova's star seems to be fading not only because she is having to deal with an onslaught of young talents in Russia, but because she herself isn't skating as well as she did a couple seasons ago. With her current technical ability (triples up to loop, many URs), she wouldn't be doing well in the US field either. She had very good timing when switching to Russia, because she got all these international opportunities, including the Olympics, when she was possibly in the best form of her career (sad, but maybe true).

Marco
12-28-2011, 06:59 AM
Not nailing the lutz and even losing the flip, more and more prone to under-rotations, crappy programs....

just won't work for any country with any sort of depth of field.

She should be lucky she got to go to the Olympics and Worlds at all.

euterpe
12-28-2011, 07:26 AM
The look on her face when her FS results came up at Nationals today was pretty telling- she and her team seemed kind of stunned. I wonder if she thinks about how different her path would be if she stayed in US.

Why would they seem stunned? Surely Ksenia and her coaches were aware of the depth of technical talent in Russia, and they had to recognize that Ksenia doesn't match up in that department. She fell on the flip, the 3/3 may have been UR, and she landed nothing harder than a loop. Meanwhile, most of the other Russian ladies had both flip and lutz and some had 3/3 with the lutz.

While her SP was lovely, her FS was horrid. She rushed through her jumps and there was no choreography to speak of to support the portrayal of the Marilyn Monroe character, even if she had the performing chops to do it (which she doesn't). She can't match Leonova's ability to sell a character program, so why even go that route.

Vagabond
12-28-2011, 07:34 AM
OMG! I just watched a video of her FS at Nationals. :scream:

love_skate2011
12-28-2011, 07:44 AM
her, LP at Russian National Championships 2012 :lol: :mad: :blah:
that was just terrible, aside from the crappy jumps this had zero artistry transitions ,

OMG and her look at the end, was she was REALLY PISSED she didn't medal.
like really gurl ? u expected a podium finish with that performance ? LOL :kickass:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_VMXKCnEiE&feature=plcp&context=C35d480cUDOEgsToPDskJ_izx3UDIYbA1WNuY7tZpn

Marco
12-28-2011, 07:57 AM
that was just terrible, aside from the crappy jumps this had zero artistry transitions ,

like really gurl ? u expected a podium finish with that performance ? LOL :kickass:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_VMXKCnEiE&feature=plcp&context=C35d480cUDOEgsToPDskJ_izx3UDIYbA1WNuY7tZpn

Does anyone have the protocols? Soul-hurting as it was, it's still a 5 clean triple and 2 2axels effort, not unlike Tuk or Leonova. She scored a 47 TES / 65 PCS, which is strangely low on the TES side and crazily high on the PCS side. Wonder if many of her jumps were UR. Tuk and Leonova scored 57 and nearly 53 on TES.

Vagabond
12-28-2011, 08:19 AM
Does anyone have the protocols? Soul-hurting as it was, it's still a 5 clean triple and 2 2axels effort, not unlike Tuk or Leonova. She scored a 47 TES / 65 PCS, which is strangely low on the TES side and crazily high on the PCS side. Wonder if many of her jumps were UR. Tuk and Leonova scored 57 and nearly 53 on TES.

I don't have the protocols, but according to someone who has seen them (http://www.goldenskate.com/2011/12/sotnikova-captures-third-national-title/):

Ksenia Makarova was only credited with one clean triple jump – a triple loop – in her routine, and finished sixth in the long and fourth overall (175.49).

.... so, no, it's not a "5 clean triple ... effort." Underrotating four jumps isn't going "clean" in this day and age.

As for her PCS, well, it's Russian Nationals, innit? She got almost the same TES at Cup of China, but her PCS there was 52.56 (more than 12 points lower than at Nationals). 'Nuff said. :shuffle:

reese
12-28-2011, 08:49 AM

The pissed off expression after she sees her scores is priceless. Still, what difference did it really make to her if she finished 3rd or 4th... or even 5th for that matter? She still has a clear path to Euros and Worlds with all babies finishing ahead of her. Last year for all of that though! Mercifully...

love_skate2011
12-28-2011, 08:58 AM
^

and the piss off even made it worst
but maybe she had high expectation she would finish a bronze medal ?
her look after she saw her score was like she was ready to break something :scream:

Loves_Shizuka
12-28-2011, 10:08 AM
The look was amazing. And her coaches looked so... awkward. LOL. Anyway, it was the same-old story for Makarova. Great SP (both in terms of both programme and performance) and awful LP.

PashaFan
12-28-2011, 10:41 AM
Why are all of you being so horrid towards her?.
Do you train hard every day?.
Do you know what it's like to be at a National Championships?.....No?
I can't believe all the hate towards her?
What has she ever done to you?
If you do not like watching her skate then look away.
She is a young girl who I'm sure was upset & angry with herself.
Having read this thread I can not believe the venom you are spewing at her.