PDA

View Full Version : If it's Dec 26th, then it must be World Jrs.

Pages : [1] 2 3

professordeb
12-27-2011, 03:06 PM
Yep folks, it's that time of year again when some of us look forward to watching young men battle it out for the World Juniors Cup.

Good Canuck that I am, I watched some of the pre-comp games for Canada, but I missed most of the one where they were completely dominated by Sweden.

Tourny opened yesterday (Monday the 26th) and watched Canada mow down Finland. Had to be tough on the Finns as I'm sure they thought they were better than they way they played.

Took a quick peek at the U.S. game and saw they were trounching their opponents 10-3. OUCH! What a spanking.

So ... is anyone besides me watching these games?

quintia
12-27-2011, 08:54 PM
*raises hand* I'm watching too. USA beat Denmark 11-3 last night. One of the commentators said that the Danish goalie that got pulled wasn't bad, but that he was seriously outclassed. I have a feeling this will be a theme throughout the tournament.

Go USA! :kickass:

minuet
12-28-2011, 03:02 AM
I'm watching! Fingers crossed we don't blow the gold medal game 3 years running.

My husband and I are determined to get to a tourny soon. He went to 2009 with friends and it's the best tournament to watch live he said.

Habs
12-28-2011, 07:00 PM
I'm watching! I love the World Jrs.

Mr. Habs and I were at the pre-tourney Canada/Sweden game. I think the Swedes are serious contenders to win this year. Just... wow.

Mr. Habs is at USA/Finland right now with his dad, and we have tickets to Finland/Czech on Saturday afternoon. Can't wait!

professordeb
12-29-2011, 08:21 PM
Oh Habs ... I am soooo jealous. But in a good way. I don't begrude you being there, only wish I were. Maybe in a couple years when it comes back to Canada.

Habs
12-29-2011, 08:29 PM
Oh Habs ... I am soooo jealous. But in a good way. I don't begrude you being there, only wish I were. Maybe in a couple years when it comes back to Canada.

We had been hoping to buy all-event tickets but Hockey Canada screwed up with its lottery draw (Mr. Habs was drawn to purchase tickets, but by the time it was his pre-allotted time to purchase, it was sold out).

Instead, we bought a few games from friends, which has worked out well. Loving it - can't wait for Saturday!

professordeb
12-31-2011, 04:11 PM
Well colour me shocked that the U.S. team won't be playing for a chance at a medal. It seemed they had a decent enough game going against the Czechs yesterday and then ... the wheels just fell off. I felt bad for those boys but considering how much penalty time the Czechs had to kill off, they deserved the win. Had to chuckle a bit at the antics of their crazy tender and his celebration of goals. He needs to be a bit careful or he may find that he's hurting someone else or even himself.

May I also add that I wasn't keen on Canadian fans booing against the U.S. I realize that they might have had hard feelings about being beaten a few years ago and that the rivalry between the two countries is BIG but I still cringe when that kind of thing happens.

OK, here's to a great game this evening for Team Canada.

GO CANADA GO!

quintia
12-31-2011, 05:00 PM
I could not believe that the US team completely fell apart against the Czechs yesterday. :fragile:

That Czech goalie was going into Braden Holtby levels of annoying behavior towards the end of the game. I understand it was a huge win for him and his team, but that didn't exactly seem kosher to me. YMMV of course.

professordeb
12-31-2011, 09:20 PM
I could not believe that the US team completely fell apart against the Czechs yesterday. :fragile:

That Czech goalie was going into Braden Holtby levels of annoying behavior towards the end of the game. I understand it was a huge win for him and his team, but that didn't exactly seem kosher to me. YMMV of course.

Yeah, that same goalie was somewhat annoying with the fist pumping when he made a good save during the game against Canada. I understand about being pumped but it seemed OTT last night against the American team.

Habs
01-02-2012, 10:53 PM
Yeah, that same goalie was somewhat annoying with the fist pumping when he made a good save during the game against Canada. I understand about being pumped but it seemed OTT last night against the American team.

He was pretty subdued in the loss to Finland on Saturday. :shuffle:

What an AMAZING finish to the Sweden vs Russia game on New Year's Eve. That was one for the ages.

AragornElessar
01-03-2012, 03:33 AM
Anyone else watching Russia vs Czech Republic?

This one's turning into quite the game.

Sorry I haven't been around until now. To say I was sick over the Holidays is like saying Canada's only slightly interested in the World Jrs. I slept through most of the game on Boxing Day. As my Nephew said, you know I'm *really* not well when...

GO CANADA GO!!!

professordeb
01-03-2012, 02:02 PM
I was trying to watch the third period of the Russia/Czech game last evening but didn't make it to the end of that 20 minutes of play let alone the OT. I must confess I fell asleep but ... I did wake up to see the Russian flag being raised as they played the national anthem. Hmmm ... not sure how I feel about a Canadian/Russian match up only because of last year. Then again, not sure if I wanted to see the Czech goalie again. Hmmmm, toss up for me.

Sooooo, it's Canada vs Russia to see who plays for gold and who plays for bronze. I will be watching the game as I "follow" my daughter's flight online as she returns back to school in Halifax. Hoping that they shovel out of the dumping of snow that has taken place in London, ONT so that her flight is on time. Here where we live, just a dusting of snow on the ground -- banana belt area is one nickname we call where I live :)

AragornElessar
01-04-2012, 12:38 AM
What a game this Finland/Sweden Semi has turned into and we're headed to a Shoot out...

professordeb
01-04-2012, 02:48 AM
I felt so bad for the Finns after the shoot out finished. I was kinda/sorta hoping they would make it to the gold medal game.

That being said, I am heart-sick with the Canada/Russia score right now. It's 2-0 in favour of Russia after 20 minutes of play and the stars of the period are the refs. Their names should be inconsistency 1 and inconsistency 2.

WildRose
01-04-2012, 03:08 AM
Yes!!! Canada scores!
Sigh - and then Russia comes back with another goal. :(