PDA

View Full Version : What happened to ladies skating?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9

falling_dance
12-27-2011, 08:32 PM
I want to say that Surya Bonaly (in 1993) was the next skater to successfully land seven triples at the World/Olympic level, followed by Michelle Kwan in 1995, but I could be wrong. (ETA: Apparently! See #33.)

AJ Skatefan
12-27-2011, 09:11 PM
In Nagano, her SP placement was the result of inconsistency by the judges of all the skaters in the 4-10 range. She only won the long program because all three of the top skaters underperformed.

I think you must mean Salt Lake City, not Nagano.

orientalplane
12-27-2011, 09:21 PM
Kristi Yamaguchi landed 7 triples at 1992 US Nationals.
Lu Chen already attempted 7 triples in 1991 and 1992 Junior Worlds, including a 3T/3T. I don't remember if she landed everything. ;)

Chen landed 7 triples at 1991 Senior Worlds, including 3T3T and two lutzes, when she was fourteen years of age.

DimaToe
12-27-2011, 09:46 PM
Blame Morozov :lynch:

skateboy
12-27-2011, 09:56 PM
Interesting that when FS fans talk about great ladies programs, they talk about Midori, Chen Lu, Michelle, Tara, Kristi... no one mentions anything this decade except Yu-Na's Oly programs.

And I don't think any current ladies will go down in history as having amazing programs. It's sad.

Triple Butz
12-27-2011, 10:23 PM
I think you must mean Salt Lake City, not Nagano.

Of course, my bad!

Amy03
12-27-2011, 10:31 PM
Interesting that when FS fans talk about great ladies programs, they talk about Midori, Chen Lu, Michelle, Tara, Kristi... no one mentions anything this decade except Yu-Na's Oly programs.

And I don't think any current ladies will go down in history as having amazing programs. It's sad.

well I disagree, the reason why people mentioned the old skaters was because they where compering them with the current skaters! both Mao Asada and Yuna Kim have left behind some really amazing programs!

Vash01
12-27-2011, 10:46 PM

Mao Asada has skated some amazing programs too.

Cherub721
12-28-2011, 03:38 AM
Ladies is boring, but it has been since before CoP. At least it has remained consistent. :D The other disciplines are getting more boring with CoP. I don't dread the ladies as much!

The jihad against under-rotation that the ISU pursued a few years ago didn't convince skaters to fully rotate their jumps (if they could to that they already would have been doing so) but to eliminate ambitious jumps, potential problem jumps and jump combinations that they weren't 100 % sure of.

And the wrong-edge takeoffs... rather than making everyone learn the correct lutz and flip, they just don't do them.

Current position in best skater of 2011 poll with 199 votes cast:-

1. Men - 77 votes
2. Ice dance - 71 votes
3. Pairs - 32 votes
4. Ladies - 19 votes

That says it all about the current state of ladies skating - at a low ebb.

It says to me that the US and Canada are doing much better in men and dance right now than pairs and ladies. Most of the posters here are from North America. Put that poll on a Chinese, Japanese, or Russian board and the results would be different.

AJ Skatefan
12-28-2011, 06:03 AM
I just think that ladies skating is in somewhat of a slump right now. I think someone will come along and start doing 6-7 triple programs again and it will become the norm again. Makes me appreciate skaters like Kwan and Rochette all over again.

Mafke
12-28-2011, 06:38 AM
And the wrong-edge takeoffs... rather than making everyone learn the correct lutz and flip, they just don't do them.

Yeah, by the time they're at the international senior elite level it's mostly too late to retool technique. Unlearning anything is really hard and unlearning muscle memory is harder than unlearning other things.

Plus, even when things start to work in practice once they're in competition they tend to go right back with what they know.

I think it's kind of awesome (in a horrible, horrible way) how the ISU has managed to turn its previous money event (ladies) into a major snoozefest that leaves most fans indifferent.

And I do blame the ISU more than any other ... entity.

One big problem with CoP (I've said since the beginning) is that it makes ladies skaters look like not very good men. The point gap between the mens and ladies fields makes that explicit.

One good thing about 6.0 was that the men and ladies had the same kinds of marks which meant that mens and ladies skating seemed like different kinds of (equally valid) undertakings. By quantifying the scores in the way it does CoP makes ladies look a lot less impressive than they are.

So, ladies skating is going the way of ladies swimming and ladies track and field as poor relations of the mens' discipline. It's kind of a shame that no one thought about this when they were designing CoP.

Ozzisk8tr
12-28-2011, 07:28 AM
I thought Zayak did the first 7 triple program. 1982 Worlds. Given there was only two triples (toe loop and sal). As someone else said though, look at the in-betweens back then and they were :yikes:.

briancoogaert
12-28-2011, 08:49 AM

Joannie Rochette had amazing programs too. Too bad she was so unconsistent !
Anyway, I think Carolina Kostner had some of the best programs in history last season and this season. I can watch them over and over, with or without triples. :)

Miruna
12-28-2011, 11:52 AM
Maybe last season and this one are a bit underwhelming but compare 2006 Olympics with 2010 Olympics(ladies event). The level of skating in Vancouver was AMAZING. Mirai with that skate would get at least silver in Torino. Not to mention, for me, 2007 worlds was one of the best competition ever(ladies event), with Yuna's brilliant SP and Mao and Miki's LP. With the russian babies on the way(and there are many of them) the level will go up again. Sotnikova is getting back her money combo 3Lz-3L, Shelepen, Tuktamysheva, Korobeinikova, Radionova and many more go for difficult 3-3 combos now. There is also Gracie Gold with an amazing technique.Mao will bring back the 3A next season if she wants to stay on top and Kostner will need that 3F-3T back.

l'etoile
12-28-2011, 02:20 PM
Maybe last season and this one are a bit underwhelming but compare 2006 Olympics with 2010 Olympics(ladies event). The level of skating in Vancouver was AMAZING. Mirai with that skate would get at least silver in Torino. Not to mention, for me, 2007 worlds was one of the best competition ever(ladies event), with Yuna's brilliant SP and Mao and Miki's LP. With the russian babies on the way(and there are many of them) the level will go up again. Sotnikova is getting back her money combo 3Lz-3L, Shelepen, Tuktamysheva, Korobeinikova, Radionova and many more go for difficult 3-3 combos now. There is also Gracie Gold with an amazing technique.Mao will bring back the 3A next season if she wants to stay on top and Kostner will need that 3F-3T back.

Hopefully. Can't wait to see that happening any sooner.