PDA

View Full Version : Which Was The Greatest Performance Of A Program By A Ladies Singles Skater Ever?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10

Vash01
01-04-2012, 09:31 PM
The real pity was that Midori was injured in 1991 and did not even have a chance to win another world title. For a skater her caliber it is so disappointing! Had she won the OGM in 1992, that would have made up for it, but it did not happen. I wish she had stuck around 2 more years.

seaner00
01-04-2012, 09:38 PM
I voted for Midori since I can't seem stop going back to it to replay the magic that it was. :) It never fails to give me chills

judgejudy27
01-04-2012, 09:48 PM
The real pity was that Midori was injured in 1991 and did not even have a chance to win another world title. For a skater her caliber it is so disappointing! Had she won the OGM in 1992, that would have made up for it, but it did not happen. I wish she had stuck around 2 more years.

It would have been interesting to see how she would have done if she stuck around. Kristi shocked everyone by turning pro so that would have made things alot easier for her. On the other hand she seemed burned out through years of intense competitive pressure, and was getting a bit beat up with injuries at that point. The 93-94 field wasnt particularly strong, so if she could have duplicated some of her pro performances she would have had a great shot, but obviously her level of skating in her return to amateur skating at the 96 Worlds wouldnt have gotten her anywhere even in 93-94.

I always thought the natural order of things would have been Midori winning in 92 and Kristi winning in 94, with Tonya Harding having the possability to steal 1 of those away from one of them. The ironic thing is Kristi winning in 92 instead and abruptly turning pro when she had never planned to do so it might have moved everything up chronologically for many years to come (Baiul winning in 94 which probably never happens with Kristi around, then immediately turning pro as well, Tara winning in 98 and abruptly turning pro, etc...).

briancoogaert
01-05-2012, 08:56 AM
I agree that her 1990 LP was even better but I don't think she got hosed. She was so low (10th) in the compulsories (Trenary was 1st) that it was nearly impossible for her to overcome that deficit. The only way she would have won was if Kristi had beaten Jill in the LP, which I believe Midori won. However, Kristi was struggling, trying to skate pairs and singles at that time, and she had 2 falls in her LP. She recovered but not enough to beat Jill. Based on the rules at that time, the results were correct, but I was so sad that Midori did not win after two amazing performances (SP & LP).
I agree.
Under CoP, she would have won, because of the massive points she would have had with her SP and LP. :swoon:

Seerek
01-05-2012, 04:45 PM
I always thought the natural order of things would have been Midori winning in 92 and Kristi winning in 94, with Tonya Harding having the possability to steal 1 of those away from one of them. The ironic thing is Kristi winning in 92 instead and abruptly turning pro when she had never planned to do so it might have moved everything up chronologically for many years to come (Baiul winning in 94 which probably never happens with Kristi around, then immediately turning pro as well, Tara winning in 98 and abruptly turning pro, etc...).

There are so many what ifs? from that era:

Consider if Sydne Vogel got the bronze medal at the 1996 US Nationals - that would have meant Tara Lipinski could not get grandfathered into senior competitions post 1996 due to the age restriction rule set in place.

If Kristi stays around to 1994, there would (likely) have been 3 spots retained for the US Olympic Team, etc. etc.

berthesghost
01-05-2012, 09:44 PM
I agree.
Under CoP, she would have won, because of the massive points she would have had with her SP and LP. :swoon:While I agree that it's a crying shame Midori lost 90 worlds given her brilliant free skating, I don't get what the heck a different scoring system has to do with anything. First off, COP has no provision for scoring figures, so who knows what would have happened back then had they used COP. Secondly, had she competed in 1980 or earlier, it's possible she could have missed the podium altogether ala Lynn or Bielmann. I suppose if I were as cold hearted as some of the others here, I'd simply say: "Well, if she wanted to win 90 worlds, then she should have done better figures!" :P

Jarrett
01-07-2012, 02:55 AM
I would like to add this one to the list :) She didn't even win but that was one of my favorites performances EVER.

Tanja Szewczenko (GER) - 1997/1998 Champions Series Final, Figure Skating, Ladies' Free Skate

http://youtu.be/FWxeqEPrPek

BmcC102
01-07-2012, 03:21 AM
I voted for Tara in 98 because it's what got me into skating. Still get chills watching it. It is my favorite LP.

In all honesty, this is probably the best ever, despite it not being a official long program:
Michelle Kwan, 98 World Pros
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcYTdxyoehk

This is exquisite as well:
Sasha Cohen, 03 Sears Open (even with mistake)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PDaPEgo-Eg

Also:
Lu Chen 1996 Worlds LP
Michelle Kwan, 1997 Worlds LP (Best choreographed LP in the 90-00s, IMO)
Sasha Cohen, 2004 Marshalls LP
Midori Ito, 88 Olympics LP OR 89 Worlds LP (I'm tempted to add 90 Worlds LP... love her)

Really
01-07-2012, 04:45 AM
Just for sheer emotional impact...Joannie Rochette 2010 Olympic SP (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnMeysv5bjc&feature=related). I'm not putting this up as the best, but it ranks right up there, given the context.

RockTheTassel
01-07-2012, 04:54 AM
Just for sheer emotional impact...Joannie Rochette 2010 Olympic SP (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnMeysv5bjc&feature=related). I'm not putting this up as the best, but it ranks right up there, given the context.

I totally agree that Joannie's 2010 Olympic SP deserves mention. Great performance, and definitely a memorable moment in Olympic figure skating.

TDsk8
01-07-2012, 06:33 AM
Sarah Hughes :-) 2002 Olympic LP

briancoogaert
01-07-2012, 10:25 AM
I love the fact that the commentators don't talk, at all, during the performance and right after. Very smart.

Vash01
01-07-2012, 05:05 PM
What about Mao Asada's two performances at the most recent Japanese nationals, right after her mother's passing? Not perfect but very gutsy.

duane
01-09-2012, 10:46 PM
My top 4:

Tonya Harding, 1991 Nationals
Chen Lu, 1996 Worlds
Tara Lipinski, 1998 Olympics
Michelle Kwan, 1998 Nationals

judgejudy27
01-09-2012, 10:52 PM
Imagine what a competition the 92 Olympics would have been if Ito had done her performances from the 89 or 90 Worlds (or 89 NHK), Harding her performances from the 91 Nationals or 91 Skate America (minus the fluke double axel fall in the short at SA), and Yamaguchi her performances from the 92 Nationals. People were predicting it to be maybe the greatest ladies competition in history but instead it was a flop Yamaguchi winning easily with one of her worst long programs ever (she cringed sometimes in interviews while speaking about it), and Kerrigan getting the bronze with one of her worst long programs as well. Almost the whole field was dissapointing, only youngsters like Yuka Sato and Lu Chen had great personal competitions, and a journeywomen like Karen Preston.