PDA

View Full Version : Which Was The Greatest Performance Of A Program By A Ladies Singles Skater Ever?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

t.mann
12-29-2011, 07:50 AM
I would say, Shizuka Arakawa - 2004 World Championships Free Skate

Due the 6.0 system, placements and "saving" room for the other skaters; a few judges had the nerve to give Shizuka 5.7 for Technical merit. She the remaining skaters including my beloved Michelle was going to be better than Shizuka's skate technically.

I would have loved to see Shizuka under CoP. MONSTER Scoring she would have received. No under-rotations and edge deductions for her skating.

Shizuka is one of the best skaters in the history of ladies. Fabulous jumps, edges, musicality and grace.

I don't know Shizuka does get more "props"

I remember Shizuka was a lipper.
So maybe, under COP she would have got inconsistent flip(after an overhaul) or omitted filp from layout, just like Ando.

neptune
12-29-2011, 11:25 AM
Nobody's mentioned Tonya Harding at all in this thread??? :huh:

Two of her performances--her '91 Nationals LP and her '91 Skate America LP--are definitely candidates for greatest performances of all time. And way up near the top of the list to boot IMO.

briancoogaert
12-29-2011, 07:45 PM
I would say, Shizuka Arakawa - 2004 World Championships Free Skate

Due the 6.0 system, placements and "saving" room for the other skaters; a few judges had the nerve to give Shizuka 5.7 for Technical merit. She the remaining skaters including my beloved Michelle was going to be better than Shizuka's skate technically.

I would have loved to see Shizuka under CoP. MONSTER Scoring she would have received. No under-rotations and edge deductions for her skating.

Shizuka is one of the best skaters in the history of ladies. Fabulous jumps, edges, musicality and grace.

I don't know Shizuka does get more "props"
You know, some judges put Michelle Kwan ahead of Shizuka Arakawa in the LP. (I'm an MK fan, but honestly, Shizuka deserved to be ahead).

Shizuka competed under CoP, she won the first Olympic title under CoP.
But she was a bad lipper, and her 3/3 were not always fully rotated, I think this is why she didn't attempt 3/3 at 2006 Olympics (this + massive pressure !)

attyfan
12-29-2011, 08:38 PM
You know, some judges put Michelle Kwan ahead of Shizuka Arakawa in the LP. (I'm an MK fan, but honestly, Shizuka deserved to be ahead).

Actually, the biggest mysteries of the 2004 Ladies FS (IMO) is, first, how each judge voted (d*** anonymous judging) and then, that some judges put Sasha ahead of Shizuka in the LP, or, at least, failed to leave enough room between Sasha and Shizuka. If the judges who put Michelle in first were the same ones who had put Sasha first (or failed to leave enough room), then the judging makes some sense, in that Michelle deserved to be ahead of Sasha, and the judges had boxed themselves in.

leapfrogonice
12-29-2011, 10:08 PM
And where is Shizuka from 2004?!

Pfff, I am outraged. I am off to kill a kitten.

:eek:

falling_dance
12-30-2011, 07:01 PM
:eek:

It has to be done.

(((:cat:)))

Jarrett
12-30-2011, 09:10 PM
It has to be done.

Oh jeez and I just saw Girl with the Dragon Tatoo. Poor kitty.

Loves_Shizuka
12-30-2011, 09:21 PM
It has to be done.

I think we might be on the same page. You will be getting some Moet, my friend! :D

Nomad
12-30-2011, 09:25 PM
For some Moet, I'll supply the kitten.

bardtoob
12-31-2011, 07:17 AM
Since an SP was included in this poll, this program should be considered.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=fVPlMwqh0pY

briancoogaert
12-31-2011, 12:54 PM
Since an SP was included in this poll, this program should be considered.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=fVPlMwqh0pY
IMO, the choreography doesn't suit her. And that's one program I don't like of hers.

floskate
12-31-2011, 12:57 PM
Agreed. IMO her greatest SP was in 1988. She skated it so well all throughout the season but her SP in Calgary is very special.

sadya
12-31-2011, 01:22 PM
It's a difficult choice because so many skaters were and are amazing in their own way. I'm still inclined to go with lp and sp of 1996 season from Chen. I loved her 1995 lp as well.

Baiul is one of my favourites too. She just had some wrong programs which didn't really feature her strengths. She could do difficult steps and more 'filled' programs easily and be there emotionally as well. I love her Dying Swan ex and some of her pro programs are still amazing, even when the jumps weren't that great:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5s291pnE5U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6_0VlvmVh8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFB0xs8wMJU

berthesghost
12-31-2011, 02:39 PM
For me, therefore, she was the greatest competitor in ladies figure skating ever and that ultimately is what made her a double Olympic champion.shrug. For me, the greatest competitor doesn't fail at defending her crown. I'd put Wit behind at least Henie and Heiss, to name a few.

bardtoob
12-31-2011, 10:46 PM
To me, Witt's greatest strength in this very political sport was thinking she alway deserved to win and never conceded that, even when out performed. However, Sonja Henie was even better at that.