PDA

View Full Version : Which Was The Greatest Performance Of A Program By A Ladies Singles Skater Ever?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10

pollyanna
12-28-2011, 09:53 PM
I almost never vote in polls like this, but I think Janet Lynn's 1971 Worlds Free Skate (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Vzvtjbcv-Cs#t=80s) (:swoon:) should be on this list, even if there isn't a complete video of it posted on Youtube.

I will NEVER forget that episode of Wide World of Sports. I will never forget the chanting of the French crowd demanding that Janet, although she finished 4th overall, come to the boards and wave because they were so upset she finished off the podium. It was a beautiful free skate.

My favorite competitive program of Janet's was 1973 US Nationals LP (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&list=UUKGf1DuztNTXOxPvgh3rrSw&v=VR15rloAB0s). Her musical interpretation here is divine.

But my favorite overall free skate of Janet's is her 1971 Worlds Exhibition skate (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jn0VZyztldo). :swoon: x infinity

kylet3
12-28-2011, 10:47 PM
All of these are great choices and great performances of the past and we all have our own opinions of what we consider the greatest. My pick would be this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9uTvFa396g

:swoon: I was in the front row for this performance and it was absolutely stunning. There was so much emotion and heart in this performance, it was technically perfect, but you could feel the crowd and her connecting with this performance. There were so many people in tears. I was also near the front for her flawless skate at 2010 Nationals in the free, while that was just as amazing, it didn't quite have the emotional reach that this one did.

Jarrett
12-28-2011, 11:34 PM
All of these are great choices and great performances of the past and we all have our own opinions of what we consider the greatest. My pick would be this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9uTvFa396g

:swoon: I was in the front row for this performance and it was absolutely stunning. There was so much emotion and heart in this performance, it was technically perfect, but you could feel the crowd and her connecting with this performance. There were so many people in tears. I was also near the front for her flawless skate at 2010 Nationals in the free, while that was just as amazing, it didn't quite have the emotional reach that this one did.

... who is that....

kylet3
12-28-2011, 11:45 PM
Click the link?

Joannie Rochette's free skate from the 2009 Canadian Championships. Perfection

Holley Calmes
12-28-2011, 11:48 PM
It's a Free Skate thread, that's why! :P

Oh, I thought it just said "a program...." :slinkaway

Jarrett
12-29-2011, 12:00 AM
Click the link?

Joannie Rochette's free skate from the 2009 Canadian Championships. Perfection

I would if I could. Joannie is so much better in person it is unreal.

Louise
12-29-2011, 12:32 AM
Midori's 7 triples vs. Manley's 3...? Liz's 4th attempted triple (loop) was two-footed, so it did not count at all according to the rules of the day! Plus none of Manley's triples were in combination or even in sequence...

Yeah, Liz's 3loop looked 2 footed to me too. I think Ito should have won the LP beyond a doubt, and 2nd in the OP. Liz had the performance of her life, but everything Liz did, Midori did better or more. Liz had one 3toe not in combo, Ito did a 3toe/3toe. Liz had one sal not in combo, Ito did a 2axel-1/2loop-3sal and another 3sal at the end. Liz did a telegraphed 2footed 3loop, Ito entered it after a spread eagle and IMMEDIATELY went into flying camel after it. Both lutzes were excellent, but Ito's had more height and distance. Ito also ruled on spins and footwork.

I didn't think Liz was that developed much in her presentation and I certainly don't see her as being more than a tenth over Ito. But Liz had a powerful figure skating association behind her and the home crowd...

Team Ito, here.

liv
12-29-2011, 12:45 AM
Midori. I would think that any of the 3 of 1988 Olympics, 1989 World's or 1990 World's were the best. Any of those programs took my breath away... and Michelle's National's is after those. And then Lu Chen's 1996 Edmonton World's after or equal to that.

topaz
12-29-2011, 01:06 AM
And why Oksana Baiul's LP ? :lol: Empty program, just crossover crossover jump, pause, crossover crossover, jump, pause ..., plus scratchy landings.

My vote goes to other : Michelle Kwan 2001 Worlds LP :)

I completely agree.

topaz
12-29-2011, 01:17 AM
I would say, Shizuka Arakawa - 2004 World Championships Free Skate

Due the 6.0 system, placements and "saving" room for the other skaters; a few judges had the nerve to give Shizuka 5.7 for Technical merit. She the remaining skaters including my beloved Michelle was going to be better than Shizuka's skate technically.

I would have loved to see Shizuka under CoP. MONSTER Scoring she would have received. No under-rotations and edge deductions for her skating.

Shizuka is one of the best skaters in the history of ladies. Fabulous jumps, edges, musicality and grace.

I don't know Shizuka does get more "props"

Seerek
12-29-2011, 01:46 AM
If I use the criteria "biggest perceived gap between 1st and 2nd ranked freeskate" to answer the question, then I go with either of Midori Ito's 1989 or 1990 World Championship Long Programs...the gap between her performance and both Claudia Leistner (1989) and Jill Trenary (1990) was quite huge (although some judges in 1990 only placed Jill 0.1 behind Midori total in the LP)

Nomad
12-29-2011, 01:52 AM
Wanda Beazel, 1987 Worlds.

smarts1
12-29-2011, 01:59 AM
^ LOL. I forgot about Wanda. I loved the particular one when she fell onto the boards in her spiral. :D

Nomad
12-29-2011, 02:06 AM
Everything about that program was pure win. Thomas was brilliant.

Maofan7
12-29-2011, 02:24 AM
Just a quick note to say thank you to everybody for your fascinating contributions. Read some excellent suggestions on some other very worthy contenders for best ever such as Chen Lu's 1996 Worlds LP, Arakawa's 2004 Worlds LP, Slutskaya's 2005 Worlds LP, and several others. Also, had several suggestions on alternative programs re Michelle's and Midori's best. Ultimately, it comes down to opinion and taste at the end of the day and I've certainly enjoyed reading the opinions expressed

Thanks