PDA

View Full Version : Which Was The Greatest Performance Of A Program By A Ladies Singles Skater Ever?

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10

Jarrett
12-27-2011, 06:46 PM
Thank you Frau Muller - I'm glad somebody has got a brain in their head!

Are the insults really needed on either side? Jeez guys.

kukkura
12-27-2011, 07:01 PM
Chen's FS at 1996 Worlds.

I agree this should have been included. I'm not sure if it's the greatest ever because of some telegraphing on the jumps, but marvellous all the same.

What I find fascinating about this and Kwan's FS that both had a triple toe right before the end. I can't think of any other program where a skate practically ends with a (triple) jump.

Jenny81
12-27-2011, 07:39 PM
Yuna's 2010 Olympics LP performance did nothing for me. I felt like her only mission was to land the jumps. The performance was pretty uninspired IMO. You compare it to what Sarah Hughes did in '02 (who even screamed at the end of her performance and got a standing ovation even before the program ended) and what Tara did in 98 and Yuna's 2010 Olympics LP performance was quite reserved.

You know what? Everybody has their own cup of tea.
Therefore, each person's taste will be different.
You may not agree with that but you should respect other's taste.
Because it's just their own taste. Am i right?

["You like it? Really?? It's nothing to me. :blah:]
sigh..... :(
I regret to say that I'm very disappointed with your post.

smarts1
12-27-2011, 07:44 PM
^ I'm not expecting everyone to agree with me (especially with all the Yunabots in this world); I'm just voicing my opinion on her performance. I'm sure there are certain skaters' performances that did nothing for you either...

michiruwater
12-27-2011, 07:52 PM

Agreed. And I don't see aything smarts1 said that was rude or overly negative. It was just an opinion - a matter of taste, if you will.

Vash01
12-27-2011, 07:56 PM
Yuna's 2010 Olympics LP performance did nothing for me. I felt like her only mission was to land the jumps. The performance was pretty uninspired IMO. You compare it to what Sarah Hughes did in '02 (who even screamed at the end of her performance and got a standing ovation even before the program ended) and what Tara did in 98 and Yuna's 2010 Olympics LP performance was quite reserved.

The three situations were quite different. There was tremendous pressure on Yu na- carrying the weight of her nation- while there was no pressure at all on Sarah. The pressure on Tara was somewhere between those two. She was the reigning world champion, but not the favorite to win the OGM; the real pressure was on Michelle. So it is only natural that you saw so much excitement after the skate, from Sarah and Tara. What I saw from Yu na was a tremendous LP performance, under incredible pressure, and she did not make a single mistake. After she finished, she cried- tears of relief and joy. There are different ways of expressing one's joy after a great performance.

About Sarah getting a standing O before her performance ended, don't forget that she was skating in front of the home crowd (USA). That is not to say that crowd would not have done that for a skater from another country (the Canadian crowd did that for Midori Ito at the 1988 Olympics).

Even though I did not vote for Yu na (for some reason the poll had her SP while all other skaters had their LP's- that's always hard to compare), I do consider her 2010 LP performance one of the greatest ever. She did not dilute any of her content, and she delivered. JMO, of course.

briancoogaert
12-27-2011, 07:59 PM
Vash, I agree with your whole post :)

Jarrett
12-27-2011, 09:06 PM
You know what? Everybody has their own cup of tea.
Therefore, each person's taste will be different.
Because it's just their own taste. Am i right?

["You like it? Really?? It's nothing to me. :blah:]
sigh..... :(
I regret to say that I'm very disappointed with your post.

Uh... where did he say somethign remotely bad? And not just because I agree with the poster but I was let down with Yu-na's LP at the Olympics. Yes she landed the jumps and won by one million points but I didn't see the spark/fire that I had come to love about her.

orientalplane
12-27-2011, 09:13 PM
But Gershwin's Concerto in F isn't a fiery piece of music. Yu-Na captured the essence of the theme by being cool, serene and sophisticated - and performed it perfectly.

Loves_Shizuka
12-27-2011, 09:17 PM
Yu-Na's LP is Vancouver was brilliantly skated (especially all things considered) but (in my eyes) is one heck of a dreary programme. She still deserved her gold 100%.

l'etoile
12-27-2011, 09:19 PM
To be correct, there was definitely standing O after Yuna's performance.

Jarrett
12-27-2011, 09:33 PM
To be correct, there was definitely standing O after Yuna's performance.

I don't think anyone said there wasnt?

Macassar88
12-27-2011, 09:35 PM
Chen Lu 1996 Worlds FS

smarts1
12-27-2011, 10:18 PM
Yu-Na's LP is Vancouver was brilliantly skated (especially all things considered) but (in my eyes) is one heck of a dreary programme. She still deserved her gold 100%.

Of course she deserved the gold medal 100%. Mao made two major mistakes in the LP skating to dreary music and Joannie made some major mistakes also in the LP.

What I'm saying is that the performance was very reserved (as in I don't go back and watch it over again like I do for other performances, and quite frankly, I don't remember much from it besides that she cried after the program and her scores were :eek:. And like Jarrett said, the spark and fire were lacking from that LP) and IMO that Gershwin program did not display her artistic potential. Her Lark Ascending LP was soooooooo much better.

olympic
12-27-2011, 11:32 PM
IMO, if Baiul must be up there for 'greatest performance,' maybe her '93 Worlds LP performance should be a choice, not that turd she laid in Lillehamer