PDA

View Full Version : Which Was The Greatest Performance Of A Program By A Ladies Singles Skater Ever?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Zokko!
12-27-2011, 03:48 PM
Other. Underrated as usual. Not even one mention so far. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Gh9w2ZyODo) :( :drama:

bardtoob
12-27-2011, 04:45 PM
As for which was Midori's best skate, has to be 1989 Worlds LP. There was no triple axel in her 1988 Olympic LP. As for her NHK 1989 LP, another superb performance in which she again landed all of the 6 different triples in the same program. So how do you choose which was the best? Well, the deciding factor has to be that in the 1989 Worlds, she was skating in a pressure cooker atmosphere going for her first world title (which unfortunately would ultimately be her only world title) with Jill Trenary in close contention. To do what she did in that context was absolutely incredible. That for me makes it her best performance. The atmosphere at the NHK in front of her home crowd was far more relaxed. Hence, 1989 Worlds was the best for me, with the 1989 NHK second.

1. Nobody else on the list had a 3A and nobody else had a 2A-3S, so all Midori's performances were a cut above the rest for the 1980s through 2010s.

2. Midori's Olympic Program was in the face of Katarina Witt and in front of the whole world, which usually did not pay attention to figure skating in non-Olympic years.

3. NHK was not alway kind to Midori as they gave NHK 1987, the NHK right before the 1988 Olympics, to Katarina Witt and told Midori that no matter how technically high her content, Katarina was still prettier.

4. The pressure cooker of FREESKATING, not FIGURE SKATING, against Jill Trenary :rolleyes: Really? :rofl:

5. Midori's 1988 Olympic performance would have won every Olympic Freeskate since.

6. Midori's 3T-3T from her 1988 Olympic performance has less preparation than any 3-3 performed by anybody.

7. Midori's 1989 NHK performance would have gotten +GOEs on every element.

8. Midori's 1989 NHK is better than what Carolina Kostner and Mao Asada could do in the fall of 2011 put together . . . errr, literally.

Maofan7
12-27-2011, 04:51 PM
1. Nobody else on the list had a 3A and nobody else had a 2A-3S, so all Midori's performances were a cut above the rest for the 1980s through 2010s.

2. Midori's Olympic Program was in the face of Katarina Witt and in front of the whole world, which usually did not pay attention to figure skating in non-Olympic years.

3. NHK was not alway kind to Midori as they gave NHK 1987, the NHK right before the 1988 Olympics, to Katarina Witt and told Midori that no matter how technically high her content, Katarina was still prettier.

4. The pressure cooker of FREESKATING against Jill Trenary :rolleyes: Really? :rofl:

5. Midori's 1988 Olympic performance would have won every Olympic Freeskate since.

6. Midori's 3T-3T from her 1988 Olympic performance has less preparation than any 3-3 performed by anybody.

Some good points, but for me the 1989 Worlds LP remains Midori's best. For sheer impact and awe, it was stunning. :)

Vash01
12-27-2011, 04:56 PM
Slutskaya's FP from 2005 Worlds, hands down.
I remember me and my mother sitting in front of the tv crying like babies :lol:

Irina's 2005 worlds LP should have been on this list, as one of the greatest performances ever- particularly coming back from a serious illness (heart condition).

As much as I love Michelle's Lyra Angelica performance at the US nationals, I don't see it as her greatest performance (regardless of how many 6.0's she got). IMO Song of the Black Swan was her best LP performance ever. Of course that is JMO.

From the choices given, I picked Midori's 1989 worlds LP as the best ever, although I thought her 1990 worlds LP was even better.

bardtoob
12-27-2011, 05:13 PM
Some good points, but for me the 1989 Worlds LP remains Midori's best. For sheer impact and awe, it was stunning. :)

:lol: You really don't know the impact of Midori's 1988 Olympic Freeskate, do you.

Women's competitive skating would no longer be the same. Cam Cole, a journalist covering the 1988 Olympics wrote:

"The first time that I can ever recall being struck by the powerful emotion that this [figure skating] sport drives was in the press box at the 1988 Olympics when Midori Ito was skating... There were guys there I had covered hockey with, sports columnists... guys who basically were approaching this thing in a pretty skeptical manner. And I saw a whole lot of those guys up there, when she finished her performance that night, taking their glasses off and wiping their eyes with their hands. And I'm thinking to myself, 'Now you know...now you know.'"

You go ahead and keep on thinking that the 3A is the end all be all. Maybe you'll grow out of it someday.

falling_dance
12-27-2011, 05:30 PM
:lol: You really don't know the impact of Midori's 1988 Olympic Freeskate, do you.

Not really to the point of this thread, but I've wondered since the Vancouver Olympics if the flower girls' dresses (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703494404575082250954936946.html) were designed not only to coordinate with the boards but also as a subtle tribute to Midori Ito's free skate at the last Games held in western Canada.

Louis
12-27-2011, 06:01 PM
Ito for sure. She was at least 25 years ahead of her time. Wouldn't be surprised if it takes another 15-20 years or more for that technical content to be surpassed.

Her performances from 1988-89 would be the equivalent of a skater today doing multiple quads.

Frau Muller
12-27-2011, 06:06 PM
Midori 1989 Worlds, by a mile!

Tara 1998 Olys was also spectacular & exciting. It was a dream come true!

Vash01
12-27-2011, 06:09 PM

You go ahead and keep on thinking that the 3A is the end all be all. Maybe you'll grow out of it someday.

In the context of Midori's 1989 performance, the 3A was not meant to be "the end all and be all". It was a historic landmark in ladies skating, and don't forget that she landed all the other jumps flawlessly in that program.

orbitz
12-27-2011, 06:15 PM
Katia Goordeeva's first solo performance to Maher. I cannot recall any skating performance before or since by anyone that had such an emotional impact while watching it.

( The thread title doesn't specify competition or exhibition :) )

ainouta
12-27-2011, 06:16 PM
Other. Underrated as usual. Not even one mention so far. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Gh9w2ZyODo) :( :drama:

Seconded!

Jarrett
12-27-2011, 06:18 PM
Seconded!

What performance is it? I really dislike when people post stuff like that and then it won't load on my computer. :(

falling_dance
12-27-2011, 06:20 PM
What performance is it? I really dislike when people post stuff like that and then it won't load on my computer. :(

Chen's FS at 1996 Worlds.

Maofan7
12-27-2011, 06:21 PM

Excuse me, but the skater who delivered the best free skate at the 1988 Olympics was Liz Manley. I'm sorry, but that simply eclipsed Midori on the night. What were you watching??? Midori was very good, but nowhere near as good as she was a year later.

Midori 1989 Worlds, by a mile!

Thank you Frau Muller - I'm glad somebody has got a brain in their head!

In the context of Midori's 1989 performance, the 3A was not meant to be "the end all and be all". It was a historic landmark in ladies skating, and don't forget that she landed all the other jumps flawlessly in that program.

And thank you too Vash01!!

michiruwater
12-27-2011, 06:29 PM
Someone is wrong on the internet!