PDA

View Full Version : Why not many pairs and ice dancers in Japan?

Pages : 1 [2]

madm
12-27-2011, 10:08 PM
Fortunately, qualified Japanese speaking coaches are now available, e.g., Kyoko Ina, Rena Inoue, so I hope that the Japanese federation at least consider such a possiblity to make pair skating more accessible to aspiring Japanese youngsters.

Also Yuka Sato and Jason Dungjen in Detroit.

mineko
12-28-2011, 05:44 AM
Also Yuka Sato and Jason Dungjen in Detroit.

:swoon: Yes, they are another excellent pair skating coaches, and Yuka Sato can speak Japanese.

julieann
12-28-2011, 05:51 AM
Problem, there is not enough ice for pair sessions, then there are no coaches in Japan for pair skating. Then there are no boys who are tall enough. In summer the Japanese Federation looked at all available men and apart from one boy all where far too small, and the only questionable male, was as tall as Marvin Tran, who is also not very tall, and he had no interest in skating pairs.
The girls are all getting taller in Japan and the boys who might be big enough don`t choose skating as a past time.
Pair skating is also very challenging. There is not just the coach one has to work with , but also a partner, who has a say. Not many are willing to take up so much as Narumi or Yuki.
If you choose a foreign partner, Oympics are out of the question as it is nearly impossible to obtain a japanese citizenship. The immigration laws are very strict.
So that also makes it uninteresting for many japanese girl skaters and their families.

I think if they had tall enough men for pair skating they would find ice and time. If that happened, coaches would come out of the woodwork.

mineko
12-28-2011, 06:05 AM
I wonder if being a pair/ice dance male skater is considered to be a "wimp" or "sissy" in Japan?

Even the Canadian federation had to do a concerted campaign to remind the public that figure skating is not a sissy/gay sport prior to the Vancouver Olympics in 2010.

I don't know...maybe people who live in Japan may know much more than I.

kwanfan1818
12-28-2011, 07:34 AM
As for ice dancing, Japan have had no tradition of couple/pair dancing like Russia (world class classical ballet), N. America (swing, broadway, etc), and Latin countries (Latin dance, whatelse ;).

Japan has had world class ballet companies for decades, and Japanese dancers have medalled and won scholarships at major ballet competitions for years. Japanese male ballet dancers do all of the lifts and partnering that Russian, European, and North American male ballet dancers do.

I thought one of the reasons frequently stated for Japanese men not attempting pairs is that Japanese men's physiques in general are not equal to the Western and/or Chinese men? (Not as tall or as broad as most pair guys are in general and, therefore, less likely to have the height/strength to complete the required pairs moves?) I'm sure there are Japanese men who are tall enough/broad enough, but are they figure skaters?
Are Japanese Ladies the same heights and size as most pairs women?

Aki Sato, a Principal Dancers withRoyal Ballet of Flanders, is fellow Principal Wim Vanlessen's frequent partner, and he's about 5'6" and looks much taller than she on stage.

fan
12-28-2011, 05:09 PM
interesting that shin amano now coaches the pairs team of tou/penasse at the cricket club in toronto

mineko
12-28-2011, 09:17 PM
Japan has had world class ballet companies for decades, and Japanese dancers have medalled and won scholarships at major ballet competitions for years. Japanese male ballet dancers do all of the lifts and partnering that Russian, European, and North American male ballet dancers do.

You are right. I should have said that the Western ball room dancing tradition in which a couple is the basic unit of dancing, from which ice dance later developed, was not part of Japanese dancing tradition. (to be specific, Western style ball room dancing was introducted only after Meigi era - when Japan deserted the isolationist policy in the late 19th century)

kwanfan1818
12-28-2011, 09:19 PM
I'm just wondering why the great, if relatively recent, ballet tradition hasn't translated to Pairs in particular.

I know that Flamenco is very popular in Japan, Hong Kong, and Taiwan, but it's not partner dancing.

Aussie Willy
12-28-2011, 09:53 PM
I don't think this is an exclusively Japanese thing. If you don't have a culture of pairs skating and ice dancing in your country, then it is really difficult to get those disciplines off the ground at the grass roots level.

kwanfan1818
12-28-2011, 10:05 PM
In Japan, though, there is the combination of 1. Popularity of skating 2. Number of participants 3. Depth of singles 4. A strong Federation and 5. Prominence and importance of the arts, which there is not in Scandinavia and among poorer Federations that can barely field singles.

I think the answer is in training facilities, which are in relatively short supply in Japan, given the popularity of skating. While Japan has sent some of its skaters abroad, the majority train in Japan.

pinky166
12-28-2011, 11:22 PM
Miyahara should do pairs if all her jumps don't survive puberty. She's so tiny now that I doubt she'll ever be tall, and she has the flexibility and spark for pairs too.