PDA

View Full Version : LA Times article: Michelle Kwan has found there is life after figure skating

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

Sylvia
12-24-2011, 01:17 AM
I posted this article link in the Kween's Hall of Fame thread in the Trash Can earlier today but thought it deserved its own thread in GSD.

By Helene Elliott of the Los Angeles Times: Michelle Kwan has found there is life after figure skating (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-1224-michelle-kwan,0,3268751.column)
Excerpts:

"I think a lot of athletes, me included, have a hard time finding that sort of identity, wondering is being a skater my identity," she said. "That was the one thing that I was able to figure out through going back to school, that there's more out there that I'm interested in doing and pursuing.

"I'm 31 and there is a time when you have to walk out of the ice rink. To me it's the idea of wanting to learn and keep on learning."

It feels right, she said, that the [USFS Hall of Fame] ceremony will take place in San Jose, site of her first national title in 1996.

"I feel like it's really come full circle," she said. "It's so emotional. There's so much love I have for the sport. So many amazing experiences, so many incredible people I've met along the way. And now reflecting on it, it's something I miss, of course. But I've moved on."

kwanette
12-24-2011, 01:20 AM
I posted this article link in the Kween's Hall of Fame thread in the Trash Can earlier today but thought it deserved its own thread in GSD.

By Helene Elliott of the Los Angeles Times: Michelle Kwan has found there is life after figure skating (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-1224-michelle-kwan,0,3268751.column)

Thanks, Sylvia, definitely deserving of its own thread.

No, she hasn't forgotten the sport. And it will never forget her.

feraina
12-24-2011, 05:10 AM
Such a great article. It made me all teary-eyed. ;) Gosh, I miss Michelle!

MR-FAN
12-24-2011, 06:06 AM
I freakin love her :) This sport is so lucky to have such an inspiring role model

Japanfan
12-24-2011, 09:09 AM
I was never an uber fan of Kwan the skater - in part she was in the second half of her career when I started watching skating and in part because commentators' adoration of her got on my nerves and spurred my natural tendency to root for the underdog (i.e. I was thrilled when Butryskaya beat Kwan at Worlds).

But I also thought she was a very classy competitor and am so impressed that she has challenged herself to get an education and move on to a new career. So many skaters stay in the skating world after they retire. Kwan is an exception and an exceptional person. So, I am certainly a fan of Kwan the person.

l'etoile
12-24-2011, 09:59 AM
This comment of Michelle stays there in my mind.

"I feel like it's really come full circle,"

Congrats to Michelle for finding her next calling and that's so rare for anyone. Really seeing her passion for skating v. how her body was calling the shot, I've come to realize yet again that this sport is a demanding one.

Of course this sport, figure skating will never forget you Michelle!

Garden Kitty
12-24-2011, 04:31 PM
I'm so happy that she's found a "second stage" of life that she finds challenging and fulfilling. Her skating has given me a lot of joy, and I hope she has a life full of joy ahead of her in whatever she chooses to do. :respec:

Iceman
12-24-2011, 05:43 PM
and if her body hadn't failed her, I wonder how many more years she would have continued skating? Didn't realize she was involved with two skating rinks.

barbk
12-25-2011, 01:37 AM
I wish Helene Eliot would get some naming straight: Kwan graduated from the University of Denver, not the mythic, "Denver University." Yes, it is called DU (just like the University of Colorado is called CU) but it is never written out as "Denver University." CU isn't Colorado University, either.

Civic
12-25-2011, 04:15 AM
I admire Michelle Kwan, I always have. However, she is more fortunate than most elite skaters in that she earned a nice living from the sport for several years. If she hadn't, she might not be able to afford the University of Denver and Harvard.

Jo Ann
12-25-2011, 04:52 AM
Harvard?? I think she received her master's from Tuft University. Didn't Sarah Hughes attend Harvard?

Congratulations, Michelle! I saw you many times at the Champions on Ice shows and, as Garden Kitty said, your skating brought me much joy! I am happy for you as you continue your life and find great fulfillment in what you are doing.

kwanette
12-25-2011, 11:21 AM
I admire Michelle Kwan, I always have. However, she is more fortunate than most elite skaters in that she earned a nice living from the sport for several years. If she hadn't, she might not be able to afford the University of Denver and Harvard.

There was a big reason why Michelle earned a "nice" living from skating.

Emily Hughes went to Harvard, Sarah went to Yale.

Zemgirl
12-25-2011, 12:20 PM
I wish Helene Eliot would get some naming straight: Kwan graduated from the University of Denver, not the mythic, "Denver University." Yes, it is called DU (just like the University of Colorado is called CU) but it is never written out as "Denver University." CU isn't Colorado University, either.
I don't believe Michelle ever went to "Lori Nicholls" for choreography, either. :D

Hannahclear
12-25-2011, 01:00 PM
Yay Michelle! She had a great career and now has found something else to do. Wouldn't mind a few shows now and then though......just saying....:shuffle:

Triple Butz
12-25-2011, 07:19 PM
Yay Michelle! She had a great career and now has found something else to do. Wouldn't mind a few shows now and then though......just saying....:shuffle:

I feel the same way, and it's totally selfish, but I really wish she would at least do one show a year! Totally happy for her and all of her achievements outside of skating, but boy do we miss her on the ice!!