View Full Version : Mao Asada Clean Lutz

Pages : [1] 2 3

arakwafan2006
12-22-2011, 03:19 PM
Am I seeing things? Check out 1:25 of this clip. :swoon::swoon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rDxJqYT6u4

MichaelK
12-22-2011, 03:44 PM
It's hard to tell from the camera angle, but it looks to me that she switches to the inside edge.

AYS
12-22-2011, 03:45 PM
It's hard to tell from the camera angle, but it looks to me that she switches to the inside edge.
That's what I thought too.

kwanatic
12-22-2011, 03:53 PM
It looks like she had a good edge going in but slipped at the last minute. It's getting there though...as long as she continues to work on it, she'll improve. But the riding edge is better...more speed coming out of it. I can see the improvements she's made. As I said, as long as she continues at it, she'll get it. :)

Louis
12-22-2011, 05:19 PM
Looked like a flutz to me, but under the 2010 rules, I'd give it a ! rather than an "e."

RFOS
12-22-2011, 05:31 PM
I couldn't tell in real time, but by pausing the video at just the right moment before takeoff I could see that it was a definite inside edge. It's otherwise a nice jump and if I didn't have access to slow motion replay I would consider it an "unclear" edge (what used to be denoted by "!") and give a 0 GOE rather than negative.

Jenny81
12-22-2011, 06:16 PM
Sorry but that is a flutz.
I know that all skaters hope to complete a clean lutz jump and to not do a flutz.
But it's not easy as you know.
Her lutz is a Flutz obviously.

briancoogaert
12-22-2011, 06:25 PM
Even with this camera angle, you see the change of edge.
But it looks better than before !

MikiAndoFan#1
12-22-2011, 06:28 PM
It did look like a flutz, but it was a beautifully landed one. :swoon:

Sasha'sSpins
12-22-2011, 07:27 PM
Nope. I watched it in slow mo. She's on an outside edge then leans to the inside just before she picks in. Nice attempt though.

arakwafan2006
12-22-2011, 10:39 PM
Dangit...

Iceman
12-23-2011, 01:09 AM
OT Why do so many of the women find the lutz problematic, but seemingly few, if any, men do. If I am wrong about that, then why no discussion about the guys flutzing?

ltnskater
12-23-2011, 03:26 AM
Strangely enough, if you notice a lot of guys tend to "lip", or is VERY close to being on an outside edge on their flip jumps. Notice that next time, cause it's actually quite obvious, it's just that the "lip" doesn't get as much attention as the "flutz"!

And in that clip of Mao, it's not a good enough angle to tell whether it changed edge or not, I think there may have been a slight one, it's getting better though. But you need a better angle to tell for certain.

mag
12-23-2011, 04:21 AM
OT Why do so many of the women find the lutz problematic, but seemingly few, if any, men do. If I am wrong about that, then why no discussion about the guys flutzing?

IMHO there are three issues:

First, it is a strength issue for young girls. It takes more (or perhaps different) leg strength to take off on an outside edge.
Second, it is only recently that flutzing has been a big issue so many of our teenage skaters have been flutzing for years and it takes time to change.
Finally, there is a huge push, and rightly so, for girls to get the jumps before puberty. This is related to the first point, you have young girls who are not yet developing real muscle mass, trying to do triple lutzes. For many, the only way to do it is to flutz.

ChiquitaBanana
12-23-2011, 04:26 AM