PDA

View Full Version : Uschi Keszler

manleywoman
12-21-2011, 10:49 PM
Hey all. There's a possibility I may be interviewing Uschi Keszler next week. It's a bit last minute and I don't have the normal amount of time to do my homework as usual. I was hoping if everyone here who has some info or videos about her could share them, it would help me out when forming my interview. Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

BBI*CEO
12-22-2011, 01:20 AM
Uschi is the founder of Pennies In Action Foundation that raises awareness and funds for cancer vaccine research. This is her prime motivation these days. I had the blessing of spending part of the summer with her when she came here to stay with me in Colorado. She's wonderful! PM me if you like.

smarts1
12-22-2011, 02:15 AM
The British Eurospot people mentioned her once, but I forgot for which skater (It was a lady).

DORISPULASKI
12-22-2011, 02:12 PM
Uschi has offices at Liberty (IceWorks) in Aston, PA, where she has signs about "Hydroblade" academy. She is one of the cofounders of Iceworks, a center that has a lot of hockey activity associated with it as well as the summer Liberty competition. Most of the other cofounders were hockey players.

Icenetwork had an article about it:
http://www.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081002&content_id=52350&vkey=ice_news

I am assuming the Hydroblade thing means she worked with Shae Lynn & Victor at some point, and I think she worked with Stojko and Orser as well, as a choreographer.

"My goal with hydroblading was to take the fear out of skating and out of the lean," she says

http://www.delconewsnetwork.com/articles/2011/08/22/media_town_talk/news/doc4e4bddbf6b95c371001134.txt

Here's an article about Pennies in Action and Uschi. She's a cancer survivor.

You could ask her about the "Watch out for flying pucks" signs on the glass boards at Iceworks. Kids are always changing it to read "Watch out for flying ___s. I have some very funny videos Mr. Ski took where pairs splat in throw jumps, filmed through that sign. When we go to Liberty, we take red tape to fix the Puck signs, these days.

flowerpower
12-22-2011, 02:29 PM
She choreographed for both Brian Orser and Elvis Stojko.

Having worked with skaters of such different styles, I'd be interested in her thoughts on the choreographic process, and what it was like to work with both of these skaters.

Frau Muller
12-22-2011, 02:34 PM
German National Champion (65), Olympian (64), etc. She is the lovely blonde choreographer who always sat next to Brian Orser in Kiss n/ Cry!

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uschi_Keszler

She appeared in a wonderful film of the final exhibition gala of the 1965 Europeans in Moscow. I have the DVD but I am fairly sure that it's on YouTube. If I find the link, I'll post.

Edited to add: Selected performances from the 1965 Euros Exhibition are on YouTube (Moskvina and Tarasova intheir youth, for ex) but not Keszler's. I could not find it, sorry, but hopefully someone else who has the full event & is more computer-savvy than I am can upload it.

skatesindreams
12-22-2011, 06:59 PM
I'll be sending an e-mail to you shortly!
E-mail sent.

Twizzler
12-22-2011, 09:51 PM
She also worked with Shae-Lynn Bourne and Victor Kraatz at the beginning of their career.

SK8RX
12-22-2011, 10:01 PM
I have her exhibition from worlds, if you don't already have it! Let me know I can send!

manleywoman
12-22-2011, 11:20 PM
Send please!

Japanfan
12-23-2011, 01:47 AM
She choreographed for both Brian Orser and Elvis Stojko.

Didn't Elvis work strictly with Uschi in his last season - no longer with Doug and Michelle Leigh?

luckiest1
12-24-2011, 11:42 AM
I know Elvis worked very, very closely with Uschi and he left Mariposa a year or so after the 1998 Olympics to train with her at Ice Works.