PDA

View Full Version : The Doctor, the Widow and the Wardrobe

Artemis@BC
12-21-2011, 05:35 PM
Just in case you don't already have your PVRs/DVRs set ... this year's Doctor Who special airs Christmas Day on Space in Canada (6:00 PST/9:00 EST, with at least one repeat), and on BBC America (don't know the times).

I don't normally like to watch trailers but I caught a bit for this one, and it looks really good.

There's also a 90 second prequel video available online: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfJkFtqYQ3Q

"I'm going to get all ... uh ... smithereeny." :lol:

mpal2
12-21-2011, 06:00 PM
I can't wait to see this one. I loved the books as a kid and I can't wait to see how the bits and pieces are twisted and incorporated into Doctor Who. :watch:

Wyliefan
12-21-2011, 06:14 PM
Thanks for the reminder. Must remember to check the BBC America date and time!

Parsley Sage
12-21-2011, 06:47 PM
programmed into my PVR. Space in Canada is doing a Doctor Who marathon on Christmas day.

Artemis@BC
12-21-2011, 08:32 PM
Space in Canada is doing a Doctor Who marathon on Christmas day.

Specifically a Doctor Who Christmas marathon -- all the past Christmas episodes. And then right before the new Wardrobe episode, a special showing highlights from all the Christmas shows.

Almost makes me want to stay home and skip dinner on Christmas day. :D

Tesla
12-21-2011, 08:58 PM
Specifically a Doctor Who Christmas marathon -- all the past Christmas episodes. And then right before the new Wardrobe episode, a special showing highlights from all the Christmas shows.

Almost makes me want to stay home and skip dinner on Christmas day. :D

I think BBCAmerica is doing the same thing on Christmas Day.

Parsley Sage
12-21-2011, 10:19 PM
It's the Christmas episodes and last season. It starts at 7:30am EST on Sunday and ends at 8:45am EST on Monday.

triple_toe
12-28-2011, 05:38 AM
What, no reviews? :drama:

I thought this wasn't as good as last years (which was my fave!) but it was still quite lovely. Some of the visuals were amazing, like the entrance into the woods. Matt Smith is always good with little kids. A teensy bit sappy, what with the husband returning home but that's what Christmas is for, right? Loved the ending with Amy and Rory!

Now only, what, 9 more months 'til the next series? *sigh*

missflick
12-28-2011, 06:35 AM
Loved the ending, but I thought it was blah otherwise. A bit of a disappointment.

Bunny Hop
12-28-2011, 11:18 AM
Liked the wooden creatures, although thought they were a bit too reminiscent of the weeping angels. Always hated The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, so the whole Narnia thing was never going to sit well with me. I found the episode very slow. I looked at my watch the first time something actually happened and it was already 27 minutes in. The use of humour was good though.

It wasn't terrible, but something was definitely lacking.

sk8sue
12-28-2011, 03:27 PM
I'm the opposite. I enjoyed the first 20 minutes or so quite a lot, but it was when it started getting to the alien storyline that it didn't seem so strong. I must rewatch sometime when things are quieter to see if I missed some elements there.

Evilynn
12-28-2011, 03:52 PM
I never like the xmas specials as much as the normal episodes, however, that doesn't mean I don't like 'em at all. ;) I think I preferred this special over last year's, despite the sappy story line. I quite liked the lack of a traditional, clearly defined enemy.

Also, human-y wuman-y. :)