PDA

View Full Version : Rachael on a 45 mural!

Jot the Dot Dot
12-21-2011, 05:15 AM
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/381167_10150433907903434_460744183433_8750457_5484 55628_n.jpg Gee, beside that, even Lisa Marie Allen would look small!

ETA: Shoulda titled it "...on a 45 foot mural". Coulda, shoulda, woulda.....

kwanatic
12-21-2011, 01:32 PM
I think that's good for Rachael but I think it's because she's the best known skater in that area. What's going to be a shame is if Rachael isn't able to participate in 4CC this year...

Polymer Bob
12-21-2011, 01:38 PM
What's going to be a shame is if Rachael isn't able to participate in 4CC this year...

The USFSA is probably hoping most of the tickets will be sold by then. ;)

Sylvia
12-21-2011, 01:53 PM
Here's a video of the mayor of Colorado Springs promoting Four Continents and then introducing Rachael on Monday when the "vinyl wrap" was unveiled: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL6Kwotqrpk

Frau Muller
12-21-2011, 02:15 PM
This being a 4 CC in the USA, I hope that the USA will be represented by the top-3 podium finishers in all disciplines. I hope that Rachael is among them.

Rochelle
12-21-2011, 05:42 PM
Even though ladies figure skating is bound to be a better selling point with the Average Joe Public... I'm somewhat surprised they didn't use Coughlin/Denney. Given, two people would require a bigger (more expensive) banner. And she is an Olympian.

But Coughlin is half of last year's national champion pair. Denney has won nationals before in addition to her other national medals, and been to the Olympics (putting her on par with Flatt's accomplishments). Coughlin still trains in the Springs, while Flatt does not.

And I feel pretty confident Coughlin/Denney would make the 4Cont. team. I'm really not so certain about Rachael making the 4 Cont. team, given her performances this season (and GPF / Worlds last year).

That banner will be incredibly awkward if she doesn't qualify. (Reminds me of the awkwardness of Brandon Mroz being the one skater featured in a mural of athletes at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, in the room dedicated to winter sports stuff... at least the mural was still there in Sept. 2010 when I visited). I can see at the conclusion of either ladies event, Average Joe Public asking what happened to the "local blonde girl on the building I pass on my way to work." Etc. :slinkaway

Hopefully Flatt will skate a strong nationals and be placed on the team deservedly.

briancoogaert
12-21-2011, 06:57 PM
Wow, I would love to see any skater in a 45 f. mural in front of my flat or at work. :)
(well, not Evgeny Plushenko)

leapfrogonice
12-21-2011, 10:27 PM
So exciting to have promotional effort. At the same time, though, I would think it would be prudent for USFS to begin promoting more than just one marquee (sp?) skater for the event. What if she does not qualify for the Four Continents Team? There is also more to skating than just 'the ladies champion' and a town like Colorado Springs, which embraces the Olympic movements, sports and athletes, would seem to be one of the least "simpleton" markets to at least ATTEMPT to broaden the marketing effort of the different disciplines.

Don't take this the wrong way. I think the world of Rachael and her accompishments. She has well earned her status as a 'daughter' of Colorado springs that they can be so very proud of. Just think it would be a positive if the marketing effort encompassed a broader swath of athletes and disciplines.

whoa
12-23-2011, 05:16 PM
Wow the younger Rachael Flatt in that clip looks like a totally different skater!

arcuel
12-23-2011, 06:57 PM
All I notice in that picture are the tights over the boots :yikes:

AndyWarhol
12-24-2011, 04:01 AM
All I notice in that picture are the tights over the boots :yikes:

I know, it should be illegal *shudders*

peibeck
12-24-2011, 04:15 AM
The USFSA is probably hoping most of the tickets will be sold by then. ;)

Well they can certainly hope.... All event tickets have been on sale for a few weeks and you can still get great seats. :shuffle: