PDA

View Full Version : Oda to Miss Nationals

Pages : 1 2 [3]

leapfrogonice
12-21-2011, 10:22 PM
Disappointing to see anyone miss an important event owing to injury, but this DEFINITELY takes some pressure off of the other top 3 guys, as well as Japan Federation in deciding who gets to go on for the rest of the season.

victoriaheidi
12-22-2011, 03:22 AM
That reminded me of this http://figureskatersonline.com/news/2011/01/18/parker-pennington-an-ode-to-nationals/

Oddly enough, that's pretty much what I was expecting.

Oda just isn't gonna be the center of skating uni-verse this season. Given his talent, there's no rhyme or reason he shouldn't. :(

Haha, nice. :)

Roses are red, violets are blue.
When it comes to COP, Oda has no clue.

:slinkaway

:rofl:

Ziggy
12-23-2011, 12:15 AM
Roses are red, violets are blue.
When it comes to COP, Oda has no clue.

:slinkaway

:biggrinbo

kwanfan1818
12-23-2011, 06:36 AM
I'm afraid the Zayak rule is agnostic wrt the scoring system.

skateboy
12-23-2011, 07:41 AM
:wuzrobbed:wuzrobbed:wuzrobbed

No disrespect, but I don't get all the Hanyu excitement.

loulou
12-23-2011, 01:53 PM
:wuzrobbed:wuzrobbed:wuzrobbed

Just out of curiosity, did you get Oda lately?

Ziggy
12-23-2011, 02:39 PM

BURN THE HEATHEN! :lynch:

skateboy
12-24-2011, 05:01 AM
BURN THE HEATHEN! :lynch:

:P

Hanyu has some really good jumping ability when he hits, but his skating skills are just kind of meh. Plus, his body carriage leaves a lot to be desired. Lots of potential, though.

kwanfan1818
12-24-2011, 09:56 AM
That's what I thought when I saw him on the Thursday practice before GPF, but in the competition itself, he was a different skater blade-wise, with sustained speed and flow. Maybe it was jetlag on Thursday, or he might have been shaken by the news of Asada's mother.

Iceman
12-24-2011, 05:39 PM
Maybe he is having difficulty adjusting to being a new husband and a new dad and dealing with the pressures of skating.

tkaug
12-27-2011, 03:17 AM
Hanyu is such a smart boy.
In the short program, he missed the opening 4T-3T combination and it turned into an individual 3T. He had a chance to make 3Lz in combination but only added a 2T. He knew it was not allowed to add a 3T. In the same situation, I'm sure Oda would have added a 3T and made that element invalid.

jlai
12-27-2011, 03:42 AM
Oda seems to have a disastrous season every other year the greater part of his senior seasons. First it was the "drunk driving" accident that took him out of the 07-08 season. Then in 09-10 he didn't qualify for the free skate. Then this. :(

Japanfan
12-27-2011, 10:46 AM
Maybe he is having difficulty adjusting to being a new husband and a new dad and dealing with the pressures of skating.

Hasn't he been training in Canada? An elite skater has to be away from home a lot to compete and add to that training away from home - he would be a very absent husband and dad. Most skaters don't start a family while they are competing precisely because they don't have room for it in their lives.

My impression was that Oda's wife pregnancy and the subsequent marriage. I attributed Oda's melt-down at Worlds to the shock of that news. But Oda does mess things up regularly, so it's partly just the way he is.

Hopefully he'll be able to use the time away to enjoy being home with his wife and child. And that his wife will be happy to have him home.

leapfrogonice
12-29-2011, 10:11 PM
Did he have surgery?