PDA

View Full Version : Oda to Miss Nationals

Pages : 1 [2] 3

overedge
12-19-2011, 03:57 PM
I read the thread title as "Ode to Miss Nationals", and thought that someone had written a poem about when winners of skting competitions used to get sashes like beauty pageant winners :lol:

Wyliefan
12-19-2011, 03:59 PM
I read the thread title as "Ode to Miss Nationals", and thought that someone had written a poem about when winners of skting competitions used to get sashes like beauty pageant winners :lol:

:rofl: I thought it meant that Oda was going to judge a beauty pageant. We must not be awake yet.

ltnskater
12-19-2011, 06:15 PM
Japanese Federation always decided the World team before the Four Continents, IIRC.

Hanyu better get sent to Worlds or :mad:.

At this stage Oda should either retire or represent Azerbeijan.

He would have made pretty any other National team easily but I don't really feel sorry for him. He messed up so many chances in the past and he seems to have peaked.

Hmmm, I recall back in 2005, the Japanese Federation used 4CC to determine who out of Fumie Suguri and Yoshie Onda would go to worlds (Miki Ando and Shizuka Arakawa had already made the world team), but looking back, Fumie was a 2 time world medallist in 02 and 03, and both Fumie and Yoshie competed at nationals.

Yes, I'm pretty sure they will send Hanyu to worlds, you don't have to worry, along with Takahashi, Kozuka will probably make it as well being the world silver medallist, but I seriously doubt they will announce their world team after 4CC giving Oda the opportunity, as he's not even skating at nationals. (And if he was, I think the decision would still be made at nationals, unless something bizarre like Oda coming in 3rd, Takahashi in 4th).

Ziggy
12-19-2011, 06:47 PM
Japan has three direct Mens entries to both 4CCs and Worlds.

Takahashi, Hanyu, Kozuka.

It's what I want from Santa for Christmas.

Plus Machida for the Four Continents team.

I'd prefer to see Murakami over Oda too. He's boring but he's been improving massively.

Oda is obviously a huge huge talent but in addition to what Marco has listed, another thing that has massively held him back IMO was that he never found his own style.

The best programs he's even hard IMO, are the ones he won Junior Worlds with. And that was many seasons ago.

His choreography has been consistently dissapointing and his performance ability consistently lacking.

He's had many years to develop it but failed.

It's just so frustrating. His jumps are beautiful when they're on (soft, nicely extended landings), the basics are there. It just never came together.

Ares
12-20-2011, 04:40 AM
Hmmm, I recall back in 2005, the Japanese Federation used 4CC to determine who out of Fumie Suguri and Yoshie Onda would go to worlds (Miki Ando and Shizuka Arakawa had already made the world team), but looking back, Fumie was a 2 time world medallist in 02 and 03, and both Fumie and Yoshie competed at nationals.That was a unique circumstance because Mao won the silver at Nationals that year but was not eligible for Worlds. If Mao had been old enough, both Suguri and Onda would have stayed home. No skate off necessary.

In addition the JSF was put in an awkward position because they were using the GP series as part of the selection process for Worlds that season, and Onda qualified for the GPF. At Nationals Fumie finished 3rd, where Onda finished way down in 7th. After the Japanese Nationals both could make a legitimate claim for Mao's spot, so a skate off at 4CC was necessary.

Loves_Shizuka
12-20-2011, 09:11 AM
I'm so glad I'm not an Oda-uber. Being a fan must be SO. HARD.

Wishing him the best, regardless!

DORISPULASKI
12-20-2011, 11:58 AM
and who is "Miss Nationals"? ;)

(I read this as Ode to Miss Nationals, originally. There was a speck of dust on my screen in just the wrong place.

I'm so sad to hear it is about Oda missing his Nationals :wuzrobbed:

briancoogaert
12-20-2011, 12:51 PM
and who is "Miss Nationals"? ;)

(I read this as Ode to Miss Nationals, originally. There was a speck of dust on my screen in just the wrong place.

I'm so sad to hear it is about Oda missing his Nationals :wuzrobbed:
In France, we have 2 Miss : Miss France (http://cdn-premiere.ladmedia.fr/var/premiere/storage/images/tele/news-tele/delphine-wespiser-miss-france-2012-je-suis-une-paysanne-dans-l-ame-3033818/52454522-1-fre-FR/Delphine-Wespiser-Miss-France-2012-Je-suis-une-paysanne-dans-l-ame_image_article_paysage_new.jpg) and Miss National (http://static1.purepeople.com/articles/5/92/27/5/@/754456-christelle-roca-miss-prestige-national-0x414-2.jpg) ! :)

victoriaheidi
12-20-2011, 05:35 PM
I read this as Ode to Miss Nationals, originally. There was a speck of dust on my screen in just the wrong place.

I was just waking up and I was like "Ode to Miss Nationals? A POEM? This is all GSD can come up with this morning?!"

Now I'm kind of sorry it wasn't a poem.

arcuel
12-20-2011, 06:32 PM
I was just waking up and I was like "Ode to Miss Nationals? A POEM? This is all GSD can come up with this morning?!"

That reminded me of this http://figureskatersonline.com/news/2011/01/18/parker-pennington-an-ode-to-nationals/

ltnskater
12-20-2011, 06:35 PM
That was a unique circumstance because Mao won the silver at Nationals that year but was not eligible for Worlds. If Mao had been old enough, both Suguri and Onda would have stayed home. No skate off necessary.

In addition the JSF was put in an awkward position because they were using the GP series as part of the selection process for Worlds that season, and Onda qualified for the GPF. At Nationals Fumie finished 3rd, where Onda finished way down in 7th. After the Japanese Nationals both could make a legitimate claim for Mao's spot, so a skate off at 4CC was necessary.

Ahhhh, I see, thanks for clearing that up, I wasn't entirely sure how that happened, but I now do recall JSF using the GP season in the past to determine who goes to worlds.

jlai
12-20-2011, 06:48 PM

Oda just isn't gonna be the center of skating uni-verse this season. Given his talent, there's no rhyme or reason he shouldn't. :(

Lara
12-20-2011, 06:56 PM
I'm so glad I'm not an Oda-uber. Being a fan must be SO. HARD.

It's gotten to Sandhu territory at this point. :wuzrobbed :fragile:

But I do think his programs are crap this season, so...probably better off not seeing him at all (especially if it means Hanyu instead). Sigh.

Marco
12-21-2011, 03:58 AM

Roses are red, violets are blue.
When it comes to COP, Oda has no clue.

:slinkaway

loulou
12-21-2011, 03:16 PM
Takahashi, Hanyu, Kozuka.

It's what I want from Santa for Christmas.

You're gonna get it.
Actually : I wish it was that easy to get what I want from Santa this year.