PDA

View Full Version : Would you like to see a child actor category at the Oscars?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

overedge
12-23-2011, 08:41 PM
How many actors that won an Oscar as a child went on to a distinguish acting career as an adult? Tatum O'Neill didn't. Anna Paquin is working steadily, but I think her acting is merely adequate.

More than 95% of the members of the Screen Actors Guild don't work steadily, so by that measure anyone who manages to get roles on a regular basis is doing more than all right. If you mean "distinguished" as in receiving further awards, critical praise, etc., then yes, I would agree that most child actors don't reach that stage, but Anna Paquin has at least managed to stay in the business.

victoriaheidi
12-23-2011, 10:07 PM
It'll give him a bigger paycheck for his next few projects, which could financially set him and his family up nicely if they play their cards right. An acting career can be fleeting for most, so it's best to grab a big a piece of the pie as you can while you still got "IT".

If money is all that matters. I know a lot of kid actors who tasted a lot of success too soon and have other, bigger issues now that things aren't happening the same way they did when they were younger.

Plus, honestly, I don't know if having the money is worth it unless the kid's family can manage it properly. Look at Lindsay Lohan. I wonder where her fortune went.

snoopysnake
12-23-2011, 11:03 PM
If you're going to have an Oscar for "children" then it's only fair to have one for "seniors" too.

IIRC some recipients of the old miniature Oscars weren't always that pleased with them (i.e. they wanted the bigger statues the same as everyone else got.)

Japanfan
12-24-2011, 12:34 AM
If you're going to have an Oscar for "children" then it's only fair to have one for "seniors" too.

How about one for animals as well? (They now have acting classes for dogs - seriously.):P

victoriaheidi
12-24-2011, 12:41 AM
How about one for animals as well? (They now have acting classes for dogs - seriously.):P

I'm guessing those classes are more based on training than anything? It takes serious work to train a dog or cat or whatever to work in entertainment.

BigB08822
12-24-2011, 12:52 AM
I would say Anna Paquin's acting is pretty terrible at times. :shuffle: I say this as a huge True Blood fan. :lol:

vesperholly
12-24-2011, 01:55 AM
An example for someone who I think deserves a nomination this year, despite her age, is Mélusine Mayance from Sarah's Key. I find it disheartening that I haven't heard her name mentioned even once as someone who deserves a nomination. I don't even know if she is among the nominees in the all of these critic awards or if they only post winners.

Agreed - she was fantastic. Just as good, if not better, than Saoirse Ronan in Atonement.

Ozzisk8tr
12-24-2011, 02:21 AM
If money is all that matters. I know a lot of kid actors who tasted a lot of success too soon and have other, bigger issues now that things aren't happening the same way they did when they were younger.

Plus, honestly, I don't know if having the money is worth it unless the kid's family can manage it properly. Look at Lindsay Lohan. I wonder where her fortune went.

Up her nose me thinks.

Japanfan
12-24-2011, 06:25 AM
I'm guessing those classes are more based on training than anything? It takes serious work to train a dog or cat or whatever to work in entertainment.

Yes, training and working with the animal's natural instincts and behaviours. I'm particularly amazed by cats in the movies, given how difficult it is to train most cats.

jenniferlyon
12-28-2011, 07:24 AM
The Daytime Emmys had a category for best young actor/actress. (Maybe they still do, I don't know. My soaps no longer exist so I don't follow that world anymore.) But I never understood how the age breakdown worked because they'd have actors in their late teens and early 20s competing against nine-year-olds.

Cachoo
12-29-2011, 01:21 AM

Drew Barrymore stole my heart as Gertie in "ET" but she sure went through hell before she was able to put her life back on track. It doesn't sound like her mother helped her and her father wasn't in the picture. As for the Oscar I like the poster who mentioned a discretionary award for the rare stand-out performance.

Cheylana
12-29-2011, 06:32 PM
I would say Anna Paquin's acting is pretty terrible at times. :shuffle: I say this as a huge True Blood fan. :lol:
Yeah, I never understood the fuss over her. :slinkaway

Jenny
12-29-2011, 06:40 PM
Random side note, but the Daytime Emmy Awards have long had the categories "Outstanding Younger Actress in a Drama Series" and "Outstanding Younger Actor in a Drama Series."

orbitz
12-29-2011, 07:53 PM
Yeah, I never understood the fuss over her. :slinkaway

Have you seen "The Piano"? Anna was very good in it, but was she really acting or was it due to a great director that knew how to milk whatever natural abilities that she had back then to their best advantages?

BigB08822
12-29-2011, 08:09 PM
I think it makes perfect sense that someone could be a great child actor but a rather average or even sub par adult actor. We expect different things from children and adults and some people may be better at one or the other. Plenty of kids did some bad acting but went on to great success as adults with some real talent.