PDA

View Full Version : Virtue/Moir Thread #13 (mach two): S'Wonderful

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 [62] 63 64 65 66 67 68

Shayii
01-28-2012, 06:23 AM
after reading marina and igor comment (or rather, gush) about d/w's short dance over at icenetwork, i realized that i didn't hear either of them talk about v/m's nationals to the papers.

What did they say or do you have a link? Seems like a lot people now don't think Tessa and Scott can win worlds :(.

ETA: Nvm I read it. WTF it's probably irrational that I'm feeling this way, but I'm kinda pissed. How did she manage to screw up T/S's SD, but made great improvements for the other teams :rolleyes:.

iggie
01-28-2012, 06:36 AM
the link is here (http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120127&content_id=26495044&vkey=ice_news) and here (http://www.pjstar.com/free/x1605024201/Davis-and-White-skate-to-a-lead-in-short-dance-at-U-S-nationals) if you don't want to look for it.

when you think about it, tracy was really the only one out there defending and advocating for v/m

ddtpdx
01-28-2012, 06:46 AM
Just watched the D&W SD at nationals on youtube.

They sure skated it fast (even the rhumba patterns, which imho is not the point).

I still don't get it, I can admire their speed but that's about it.
It did nothing else for me. But I guess speed is the number 1 criterion these days.

From what I can recall, they changed the ending. Did not notice any other changes.

Haven't seen the SD of the Shibs yet (not posted on youtube as yet).

Shayii
01-28-2012, 07:06 AM
the link is here (http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120127&content_id=26495044&vkey=ice_news) and here (http://www.pjstar.com/free/x1605024201/Davis-and-White-skate-to-a-lead-in-short-dance-at-U-S-nationals) if you don't want to look for it.

when you think about it, tracy was really the only one out there defending and advocating for v/m

IDK they don't seem affected by this or anything so who am I to feel pissed for them. And they still think everything is a work in progress and "part of a bigger plan/strategy." I wonder if they'll still feel like that if they lose at worlds, but again Scott did say that they didn't really care about the marks anymore :(.

iggie
01-28-2012, 07:10 AM
actually, scott said he didn't care anymore. the marks part of the quote was simply an editorial insertion.

“We didn’t really care [about the marks], to be honest,” Moir said. “We were all about what we wanted to do today and we were really happy with our skate.

but they care. they didn't stay on to stay second.

flowerpower
01-28-2012, 07:28 AM
Unfortunately V/M's programs still are a work-in-progress at this point in the year, so they have to take a positive view and stay the course. What else can they do? They have to ride it out, do their best, and if that means focusing less on the marks that's fine.

IMO they need to stay positive and grit it out, which I'm sure they will do - then when the season is done, think hard about whether they felt supported by their coaches (choreo-wise, and otherwise) and make decisions accordingly.

DORISPULASKI
01-28-2012, 07:59 AM
If you look at Europeans, the highest score was what 68? This is ridiculous inflation in the USA, something they should have done at Canadians IMO.

I can't say the US tech panel was easy at all in general, which is why the 3rd through 14th teams got some really low tech levels. And D&W only got level 4 on one of the two rhumba sequences (level 4 on the rest). At the GPF, they got all level 4's. The only thing changed in their SD was the ending moves and Meryl's dress. The ending move was a lift they developed for Phantom & then didn't use, and so added here.

The Shibs OTOH got all level 4's. Hence their scores. At least one of the US judges totally hated their rhumba-0 on one sequence, -2 on the other. While that is a bit harsh, they were definitely skating to insure to get the levels. And almost everything was changed in their dance. They are now skating to the Girl from Ipanema rather than skipping to the bip. They brought in Corky Ballas to work with them on the new program. The Shibs always work insanely hard to bring it technically and get their levels.

Yes, there was definitely some grade inflation, there always is at US nationals. OTOH, both the Shibs & D&W had an "on" night for the SD, so its hard to compare the levels of inflation between US and Canada since Tessa & Scott did not have their best night on the SD. It will be easier to compare levels of inflation on the FD, since T&S had a great performance at Canadians for it.

m_chenning
01-28-2012, 08:49 AM
It's very strange that we have no comments from the coaches about changes in Tessa-Scott dances. Because it's obvious that changes didn't work. What's going on with Tessa and Scott and why they were so unsure in their strength in SD? Once again, I don't understand why such brilliant duet does not shine this season and have so non-typical mistakes if they had best trainings pre-season? I have no idea. But i still hope for the best :). We all know how hard Tessa and Scott work every day.

jl22aries
01-28-2012, 09:17 AM
It's very strange that we have no comments from the coaches about changes in Tessa-Scott dances. Because it's obvious that changes didn't work. What's going on with Tessa and Scott and why they were so unsure in their strength in SD? Once again, I don't understand why such brilliant duet does not shine this season and have so non-typical mistakes if they had best trainings pre-season? I have no idea. But i still hope for the best :). We all know how hard Tessa and Scott work every day.

Maybe there is such a thing as riding a streak in skating, and DW are riding that wave of energy (not to take away from their awesome skills and imply that their success is only the result of riding that wave of hype). Maybe for VM it is a slump, combined with human errors, combined with their rivals riding that wave. It has to play a role on their mental states. I really hope they can believe in their amazingness and buoy up the confidence from within themselves, as it certainly is not being collected externally very much recently. That old 'Learning to believe in yourself and not rely on external (occasionally disingenuine) affirmations' lesson will make em all the stronger, friends!

DORISPULASKI
01-28-2012, 10:23 AM
When you think that Tessa had to change how she skates this year so that it would not bring on a recurrence of pain, and that Scott has to adjust to any changes that Tessa has to make to maintain unison, I think they have done amazing things this year.

m_chenning
01-28-2012, 10:38 AM
When you think that Tessa had to change how she skates this year so that it would not bring on a recurrence of pain, and that Scott has to adjust to any changes that Tessa has to make to maintain unison, I think they have done amazing things this year.
From this point of view- yes. They are amazing :). But I can clearly see problems with choreo and dances in general. And this disappointment on their faces not because of health problems but because they don't see a progress in spite of hard work. IMHO It's so painful to see :(.

pani
01-28-2012, 10:42 AM
Maybe V-M will show quad throw at 4CC/ cuz only Jhonny Jhons could work with them before 4CC :lol: (but Jhony coud be at Nationals too with his pairs teams).
I have one question - when V-M will understand, what there coaches made with them this season? Did they read Zueva interviews? Maybe she want they will retier or what?
I remember how after OG Z-Sh talking about B-A and how they was offended when Tanith and Ben leave them. I could imaging, what she will say, if V-M will try to find new coaches. She will tell - i gave them gold at OG, i made them :lol:

When i read this last interview..... OK - maybe they know something more?
And its good for V-M have Tracy and Kurt, who only one support them this season.

pani
01-28-2012, 10:47 AM
From this point of view- yes. They are amazing :). But I can clearly see problems with choreo and dances in general. And this disappointment on their faces not because of health problems but because they don't see a progress in spite of hard work. IMHO It's so painful to see :(.

When your own judges put you under W-P - i understand this disappointment.
I really cant understand, why people want they will retier so much even in Canada? Sorry, but i dont think if they wil skate Bolero with Dean choreo we will see different results. This is something different, when SC put you under W-P, and USA FS federation show Shibs are better then you in SD.
Cnad could see V-Mnext year at WCh, like British see Kerrs this year at home ECh.

clarie
01-28-2012, 12:42 PM
All this negativity is making me :scream:. I have faith that V/M will iron out the difficulties they are having.

sap5
01-28-2012, 12:48 PM
When your own judges put you under W-P - i understand this disappointment.
I really cant understand, why people want they will retier so much even in Canada? Sorry, but i dont think if they wil skate Bolero with Dean choreo we will see different results. This is something different, when SC put you under W-P, and USA FS federation show Shibs are better then you in SD.
Cnad could see V-Mnext year at WCh, like British see Kerrs this year at home ECh.

Pani - please provide the link to the competition where Canadian judges scored W/P over V/M.