PDA

View Full Version : Virtue/Moir Thread #13 (mach two): S'Wonderful

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

PashaFan
01-22-2012, 04:01 PM
As a fan who is neither pro Davis/White or pro Virtue/Moir, I have to say I would love to see Virtue/Moir leave their current coaches & go to somebody like Christopher Dean.
His creative mind would work well with these two.

DORISPULASKI
01-22-2012, 04:09 PM
Certainly, they would have gotten better levels in the SD at Canadians, if they left it alone, I think. In fact, I'm very puzzled that they changed anything in the SD--the scoring of their SD at the GPF was not due to the choreography, which had previously scored well for the stage of the season at their GP events-I was completely shocked that they changed the SD that radically, and wonder why

The problem with their GPF scores was that they did not skate like themselves. Scott's uncharacteristic fall seemed to have unsettled them both.--color me :confused:

IMO, Their time changing around their SD would have been better spent being sure they got the level 4 on the ISU rhumba. If anything should have been changed, it would be using Temptation for both rhumba sequences, but leaving everything alone would have been better.

Does anyone know which lift went over time in the FD? I'm thinking it was the new lift.

iggie
01-22-2012, 04:14 PM
really good interview up on skate canada's site

http://www.skatecanada.ca/tabid/115/language/en-US/Default.aspx

VarBar
01-22-2012, 04:31 PM
up on tsn

http://www.tsn.ca/figure_skating/

Thanks, iggie.

They could have performed with a bit more fire and conviction but I am not surprised they were a little off emotionally speaking - at least that's how I perceived them - after the bad skate they had in the short dance. I can't give Tessa and Scott any advice on whether they should stick with Marina or go and find other coaches/choreographers, I am not the expert some people around here seem to be, all I know is that I really enjoyed their material in the past, I thought they had a great SD this season before they ruined it and while the Funny Face music would hardly go down as a hit in my book, their FD has been growing on me since the GPF and now I do believe it stands out from the crowd - btw, I like the changes they made here. Adding to the fact that no other team dances like Tessa and Scott, what these two show out there is true dancing to the last detail and magic on ice.

bbkenn
01-22-2012, 04:33 PM
really good interview up on skate canada's site

http://www.skatecanada.ca/tabid/115/language/en-US/Default.aspx

That was a great interview. Interesting to note how Tessa admits she was out of it after that mistake and what she can learn from that. I just wish they went back to the old SD. I didn't like the placement of the elements in the new one, but how much of that was influenced by her mistake in the twizzles, I'm not sure.

Anyhow, they are a class act and it's nice to see they are more determined than ever.

bbkenn
01-22-2012, 04:36 PM
Thanks, iggie.

They could have performed with a bit more fire and conviction but I am not surprised they were a little off emotionally speaking - at least that's how I perceived them - after the bad skate they had in the short dance. I can't give Tessa and Scott any advice on whether they should stick with Marina or go and find other coaches/choreographers, I am not the expert some people around here seem to be, all I know is that I really enjoyed their material in the past, I thought they had a great SD this season before they ruined it and while the Funny Face music would hardly go down as a hit in my book, their FD has been growing on me since the GPF and now I do believe it stands out from the crowd - btw, I like the changes they made here. Adding to the fact that no other team dances like Tessa and Scott, what these two show out there is true dancing to the last detail and magic on ice.

I agree. I watched W&P and then V&M and you can immediately see the difference in leg lines, extension, finish of every movement in V&M, whereas W&P, he's good, but she has awkward lines still, some of the exits of the lifts her posture is forward and lunging, they need to really work on finishing their moves. I don't understand how there could only have been not quite 6pts between them; to me V&M were head and shoulders above the rest.

walei
01-22-2012, 04:55 PM
I am not that upset with V/M's score for FD. 111 is still very high, it was what they got for their Olympic FD.

Tessa and Scott did receive huge PCS here, as they should because I agree with Scott that they ARE the best artistic dancers in the World. They didn't get the record high overall because of the technical levels and the deduction for long lift. If anything, that should be a blessing in disguise. I hope they see that and go back to training hardcore to get back the levels, as they will need every level 4s they can get with the way the international judges are leaning with the PCS marks.

elle123
01-22-2012, 05:38 PM
I like the improvements to the fd. . . the sd is another thing. I'm not sure what feedback they were getting but from looking at the scoresheets, was their lift in the sd not getting good GOEs? I guess it all boils down to personal preference, which could be said for the judging panel.

I feel like they've let their frustration take over and they're starting to care ONLY about the marks instead of just building (Although with the CoP I understand it is an important aspect). I see changing things that they consistently get poor feedback about (like the curve lift in the fd), but some of their changes seem unwarranted. But then again, I have no idea what feedback they have gotten so my opinion doesn't really have merit I guess haha

On a sidenote, one thing that I've started to realize is that although CoPs has really been great for the advancement of the sport, I feel like it also handicaps artistry a bit. Everyone is so worried about the points, I feel like sometimes they have to sacrifice artistry in order to maximize on points. Which is a real shame.

Rafter
01-22-2012, 06:13 PM
The weird thing, to me, is that I thought they had one of the best SD's this season. I thought it was much better than D&Ws but they got spooked and now I think the changes don't improve it.

FTR I think W&P have the BEST SD this season, wonderfully choreographed.

I completely agree. I actually think W&P have the BEST two combination of programs of all the dance teams in the world this year. Major props to Camerlengo, Krylova and Bourne for this.

And another reason why I'd love to see V&M work with Camerlengo. :shuffle:

Rafter
01-22-2012, 06:23 PM
Yea I wish Scott had been kinda more supportive, but they both just seemed upset and kinda out of it. When are they performing the FD?

I was kind of hoping the lack of interaction with Marina meant something, but it was right back after the FD. Part of me doesn't think they'll ever make a change but I guess you never know.

Rafter
01-22-2012, 06:29 PM
tracy was mad about yesterday's marks. she thought they were undermarked and the judges were far too hard. she says that she's not alone in feeling that. when the fd finished and they're doing replays, she kept commenting that tessa and scott are underappreciated. "the details! look at their details! they don't grab, the hold gently. they finish their movement." in the wrap up, same thing -- let's appreciate tessa and scott. rod's tries to bring weaver and poje into it, but tracy just kept going back to tessa and scott.

here are the protocols:

http://results.skatecanada.ca/2011-2012/2012CDNS/2012CDNSSrDanceFreesegJudgesDetails.pdf

as for the changes, they actually improved the program. good. a little costume change: tessa tried to do her eyebrows like audrey's.

I've never heard Tracy so outspoken before the way she was about V&M being "underappreciated" (apparently in their own country too by the judges/tech callers!).

I agree that the changes to Funny Face greatly improved the program. It has much more flow now.

It is just the SD that needs lots of work.

What I think is absolutely CRAZY is that Virtue & Moir are getting higher marks *internationally* than at home. Who is this Rock Lemay anyway (tech caller). The assistant tech caller was Lauren Senft, former Canadian competitor and daughter of Jean Senft. It's just crazy to me that V&M can get all level 4s at the GPF and score over 112 points but at their own nationals they are stuck with some level 3s and a score of 111. WTF? :rolleyes:

Rafter
01-22-2012, 06:31 PM
I can't wait to see a video. Wow, the marks were just under the GPF score. Maybe they are being sent a message to leave Igor & Marina? :shuffle:

Hmmm. Interesting theory. This is the only thing I can think of. I was honestly expecting a score in the 113-114 range and was shocked it was only 111. I thought V&M looked pissed with the marks.

aka_gerbil
01-22-2012, 06:31 PM
I was kind of hoping the lack of interaction with Marina meant something, but it was right back after the FD. Part of me doesn't think they'll ever make a change but I guess you never know.

I think it'll happen. Most likely not until the end of the season, but it'll happen.

What's going to be interesting is what things are like at 4CC and Worlds.

Rafter
01-22-2012, 06:32 PM
If you guys get your wish and they change coaches, Tracy W will have to get some new talking points. She has said for years that the fact that they train with D/W is a plus and that the rivalry has made them both the great teams that they are. She has also called Marina a great choreographer (on more than one occasion).

So what's your point? If they make a move Tracy will say that they felt they needed new input, a new direction whatever. I'm sorry but this post of yours is ridiculous. :rolleyes:

FYI, she's also said that Camerlengo is a great choreographer.

Rafter
01-22-2012, 06:33 PM
Not doing anything.

Why are you in this thread anyway? Why don't you just stay away from this thread and keep to your D&W thread?