PDA

View Full Version : Virtue/Moir Thread #13 (mach two): S'Wonderful

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

elle123
01-15-2012, 12:40 AM
Great job, Iggie. It looks great :)

clarie
01-15-2012, 01:36 AM
I like your site Iggie. I've added it to "my favorites", so I can check things out every so often........cheers :)

flowerpower
01-15-2012, 02:37 AM
Interesting. I hope Tessa and Scott talk to people like Ann Shaw and Marijane Stong, discuss overall scoring trends in ice dance with them, get some detailed, objective feedback on their programs of this season vis-a-vis those of others, and formulate their own opinions of what they need to do going forward after this season (regardless of the outcome at Worlds).

Sure, most coaches tell their skaters to focus on skating their best, not the scores, but if the scores are puzzling you, you need to figure out why - and if your coaches are also the coaches of your closest competitor, you need some outside input on the topic.

iggie
01-15-2012, 04:17 AM
it suddenly occurred to me that i should go and see them on stars on ice. but the seats i'm being given are on the side. is it even worth it? i don't feel like anyone will choreograph to make the side view worth it. in fact, just having a seat on the opposite side of the judges table was frustrating, because every program was done for the judges. i literally sat and saw everyone's back. feedback?

Emdee
01-15-2012, 04:41 AM
We were on ice E last year and it was great all the jumps were done directly in front of us.

We have similar tickets for this year as well.

Subway
01-15-2012, 05:40 PM
Sure, most coaches tell their skaters to focus on skating their best, not the scores, but if the scores are puzzling you, you need to figure out why - and if your coaches are also the coaches of your closest compnetitor, you need some outside input on the topic. Don't they get that from judges? Both teams get that, and from their federations too, right, like you say with Shaw and MS for them and like D/W got at Champs Camp.

iggie
01-15-2012, 06:16 PM
thanks for the support of the blog.

i put up a few interesting posts that i thought i'd share. i haven't seen the funny face movie, but we always hear that tess and scott reenact the movie on ice. well, i found the clips they use from funny face on youtube and i put up a side by side comparison. i've done it for the opening, the jazz scene, and the s'wonderful scene. the jazz scene opening makes a lot more sense now, interestingly enough.

http://compulsorydances.blogspot.com/search/label/funny%20face%20music

Subway
01-15-2012, 06:25 PM

i put up a few interesting posts that i thought i'd share. i haven't seen the funny face movie, but we always hear that tess and scott reenact the movie on ice. well, i found the clips they use from funny face on youtube and i put up a side by side comparison. i've done it for the opening, the jazz scene, and the s'wonderful scene. the jazz scene makes a lot more sense now, interestingly enough.

I'd love to see Scott in "working photographer" style clothing like Astaire's in the first clip and Tessa in something more like the "shy bookstore clerk and amateur philosopher" Audrey in the first clip you posted. The black tights/white skates are a costume challenge for skating Audrey I guess.

maggylyn
01-15-2012, 06:33 PM
I'd love to see Scott in "working photographer" style clothing like Astaire's in the first clip and Tessa in something more like the "shy bookstore clerk and amateur philosopher" Audrey in the first clip you posted. The black tights/white skates are a costume challenge for skating Audrey I guess.

Yes to both your suggestions. :)

If Scott were more in that "working photographer" style I think it would not only be more in character with the majority of the FF movie, but also look more like the 1950's, as it was discussed earlier in the thread.

Right now Scott's costume looks more like a Mahler reject, with the addition of a red scarf. Nothing about it to me says "Astair in FF" nor 1950's.

iggie
01-15-2012, 06:44 PM
if you press play to each sets of videos they should start playing at the same point in the music, allowing you to see how that ice dance scene was influenced by the movie.

maggylyn
01-15-2012, 06:50 PM
if you press play to each sets of videos they should start playing at the same point in the music, allowing you to see how that ice dance scene was influenced by the movie.

Thank you, iggie! This is very interesting.

Sahararainfall
01-15-2012, 09:01 PM

i put up a few interesting posts that i thought i'd share. i haven't seen the funny face movie, but we always hear that tess and scott reenact the movie on ice. well, i found the clips they use from funny face on youtube and i put up a side by side comparison. i've done it for the opening, the jazz scene, and the s'wonderful scene. the jazz scene opening makes a lot more sense now, interestingly enough.

Hey thanks for taking the time to do this! I have never seen the movie either. We got little clips of comparison from the FD fluff piece they did, but it's better seeing the movie clips side by side with the FD itself. Makes me really appreciate the FD even more and the details they include to recreate it on ice, especially the jazz section. The initial jazz dancing, the tapdacing, even the fainting to end the jazz section. I mean even that clapping thing they do before the twizzles were actually from the movie, right at the same section of the music. Amazing! (OT: Was Audrey's character drunk here or did she smoked something stronger? :lol: I guess this is the part were the bookworm begins her transformation into a fashion model.)

Anyway, I think I'm part of the camp that thinks the first lift really fits this section of the music. An athletic rotational lift is out of the question. Lifts like the goose with classical symmetrical lines is just too, well classic for jazz. The one they have right now with its initial slinky, lazy, slightly off beat rhythm (then the sudden snap! at the end) and asymmetric movement is unusual enough to fit jazz. (Maybe too unusual for the more traditional judges and fans?) From the recent reports, it seems Scott will not be on one foot anymore so maybe the more solid base will give this lift the stability it needs to get the GOE points they need. I hope it turns out like the goose that got more stable with time (even though these two lifts seem like the complete opposite, style wise that is).

Regarding the dance pauses though, I wonder which one/s got the cut. There were 4 right? (intro, segue into jazz, tapdancing, and then the fainting/segue into S'Wonderful) Probably the 2nd or 3rd or 4th. :lol: I guess we'll see soon enough. Can't wait to see the changes. I hope they get the balance they need between the demands and requirements of the sport and the qualities of dance.:)

flowerpower
01-15-2012, 09:06 PM
Don't they get that from judges? Both teams get that, and from their federations too, right, like you say with Shaw and MS for them and like D/W got at Champs Camp.

They get feedback from judges, sure, and their federation, but what I'm getting at is if you are puzzled by PCS (and how it might fit into a bigger trend, partly for you and partly for the sport), you need to discuss these broader questions with someone knowledgeable and who you trust, someone outside your current scene (because frankly Marina and Igor are in a conflict-of-interest position - I'm not knocking them, that's just how it is.)

I'm thinking Ann Shaw, because of Tessa and Scott's comments about how helpful she was when initial feedback (from SC, I gather) was negative about Valse Triste; Ann helped them get that program on track, and of course it turned out to be very successful. It would have been a shame if they'd dropped it based on initial training camp feedback.

iggie
01-15-2012, 09:28 PM
Hey thanks for taking the time to do this! I have never seen the movie either. We got little clips of comparison from the FD fluff piece they did, but it's better seeing the movie clips side by side with the FD itself. Makes me really appreciate the FD even more and the details they include to recreate it on ice, especially the jazz section. The initial jazz dancing, the tapdacing, even the fainting to end the jazz section. I mean even that clapping thing they do before the twizzles were actually from the movie, right at the same section of the music. Amazing! (OT: Was Audrey's character drunk here or did she smoked something stronger? :lol: I guess this is the part were the bookworm begins her transformation into a fashion model.)

Anyway, I think I'm part of the camp that thinks the first lift really fits this section of the music. An athletic rotational lift is out of the question. Lifts like the goose with classical symmetrical lines is just too, well classic for jazz. The one they have right now with its initial slinky, lazy, slightly off beat rhythm (then the sudden snap! at the end) and asymmetric movement is unusual enough to fit jazz. (Maybe too unusual for the more traditional judges and fans?) From the recent reports, it seems Scott will not be on one foot anymore so maybe the more solid base will give this lift the stability it needs to get the GOE points they need. I hope it turns out like the goose that got more stable with time (even though these two lifts seem like the complete opposite, style wise that is).

Regarding the dance pauses though, I wonder which one/s got the cut. There were 4 right? (intro, segue into jazz, tapdancing, and then the fainting/segue into S'Wonderful) Probably the 2nd or 3rd or 4th. :lol: I guess we'll see soon enough. Can't wait to see the changes. I hope they get the balance they need between the demands and requirements of the sport and the qualities of dance.:)

thanks! their free dance as is makes a lot more sense to me after doing all this work. they're not skating around doing nothing or doing weird movements. they're recreating so many details from the movie on ice.

iggie
01-16-2012, 01:41 AM
i rounded up articles and videos about their new training regimen. it's keeping them healthy and happy

http://compulsorydances.blogspot.com/2012/01/tessa-and-scotts-current-training.html

i also put up just about every interview from the grand prix season, fluff and major articles.

http://compulsorydances.blogspot.com/

(in case you don't know, this is my new virtue-moir blog. i noticed they didn't have a fan blog that compiled all the info about their season. and so much of the great information we have here gets lost in the amount of posts we generate.)

please support by joining, commenting and visiting often