PDA

View Full Version : Virtue/Moir Thread #13 (mach two): S'Wonderful

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

marbri
01-12-2012, 07:22 PM
I agree. I always thought that lift was so hard to do that they would never get to make the execution look fast, fluid and solid enough as to give me the impression it was perfectly incorporated in the rest of the program. The sort of lift that was designed to be difficult for the sake of difficulty rather than anything else..

I thought it was a brilliant attempt to get that feeling of the jazz bar dance scene into the FD, the lazy section as I call it. Unfortunately I think the mechanics needed to make it work wasn't being viewed favourably by the judges or much of the viewers.

puglover
01-12-2012, 07:24 PM
It seems to me that Scott and Tessa could easily have made the decision after winning the Olympics and Worlds to retire or step away for a time and maximize each and every opportunity presented to them. I know they wrote a book and have done some advertisements and shows but obviously they decided to still focus on their competitive skating as their priority because they felt they had more to offer. I would assume they and their team knew from the start that skating to music from an old American movie presented risk but also challenged them in a different way. They seem to love that fact that Funny Face is character based and requires them to play a role to get the meaning across. I personally applaud their courage and I don't think we as fans can always cry for something different - then complain when it is different in a way we didn't expect. I look so forward to seeing what more they have done with it and wish so much I could see it live at Canadians.

Subway
01-12-2012, 07:33 PM
Yes, they are fighters and work very hard. But for me they are i little too idealists and didnt see - the main problem is the style and, wich more importatnt, music, wich isnt so powerfull, like it should be.

That's not a problem. Those are assets. IMO other people don't see well but they see fine.

Thanks DL for the rumba pattern primer. Maybe Tessa should just keep at level 3 if level 4 will give her Meryl Davis legs.

pani
01-12-2012, 07:39 PM
That's not a problem. Those are assets. IMO other people don't see well but they see fine.

Thanks DL for the rumba pattern primer. Maybe Tessa should just keep at level 3 if level 4 will give her Meryl Davis legs.

When Meryl skate, she put her legs on big distance from each other to have speed close to Charlie. She even couldnt keep legs together on podium. So i dont want Tessa skate like this for having better speed - thats all.

Sonata
01-13-2012, 01:06 AM
With the FD calculation error at GPF, FF is actually undefeated so far. V/M will want to upgrade the PCS to solidify that by making tweaks to it, it's on the right path I say.

That's true! I'm also excited by the changes to the FD that were described in the Globe and Mail article. Sounds V/M have really taken the feedback they received to heart.

To paraphrase a song in the film on which their FD is based on, for Worlds I'd not replace, their sunny, Funny Face. ;)
(With a line like that in the movie, their FD was meant to be!)

bbkenn
01-13-2012, 01:15 AM
It seems to me that Scott and Tessa could easily have made the decision after winning the Olympics and Worlds to retire or step away for a time and maximize each and every opportunity presented to them. I know they wrote a book and have done some advertisements and shows but obviously they decided to still focus on their competitive skating as their priority because they felt they had more to offer. I would assume they and their team knew from the start that skating to music from an old American movie presented risk but also challenged them in a different way. They seem to love that fact that Funny Face is character based and requires them to play a role to get the meaning across. I personally applaud their courage and I don't think we as fans can always cry for something different - then complain when it is different in a way we didn't expect. I look so forward to seeing what more they have done with it and wish so much I could see it live at Canadians.

This

purpledrops
01-13-2012, 03:08 AM
To paraphrase a song in the film on which their FD is based on, for Worlds I'd not replace, their sunny, Funny Face. ;)
(With a line like that in the movie, their FD was meant to be!)

This! :D How apt! :lol:

ballettmaus
01-13-2012, 07:59 AM
When Meryl skate, she put her legs on big distance from each other to have speed close to Charlie. She even couldnt keep legs together on podium. So i dont want Tessa skate like this for having better speed - thats all.

Meryl has "O" shaped legs. It's just her physical built. I've got a friend, a dancer, who's got the same shape of legs and there's nothing really that can be done about it.

clarie
01-13-2012, 12:04 PM
Thanks so much for the "well wishes" everyone. Surgery went fine. Now I abolutely have NO CHOICE but to sit back and stay put to watch Nats :lol: and not feel guilty about it ha ha. The culprit was an old gripper, so I intend on posting a Notice at my curling club to all members to check for wear on their grippers and replace them if necessary. My SO was amazing and so helpful. I'm a lucky gal. If I had hit my head that hard, I don't think I would be posting this today.

I loved catching up and read the more in depth article with joy. Tessa's and Scott's skating skills have always been awsome, but this new approach sounds very promising to enable Tessa to skate without pain or chance of re-injury.The fact that Scott is working on this too means that they will continue to match beautifully. I'm not a numbers cruncher so I leave that up to the more experienced posters that are on this forum, but I love reading all your opinions on all of this.:)

I also like that they have such close competition as D/W, a very fine team, albeit with different dynamics, and that they push each other and all the other NA teams who are endeavoring to achieve that level of excellence. Ice dance competitions have me sitting on the edge of my chair which is fun.

My posts are usually pretty short and to the point.......it must be the Percocet. :D And Pani, stop fretting....what will be will be!!!!!

pani
01-13-2012, 01:24 PM
Meryl has "O" shaped legs. It's just her physical built. I've got a friend, a dancer, who's got the same shape of legs and there's nothing really that can be done about it.

Dont know. I saw her off ice and she had normal legs. Only on ice the things with this become worse from year to year. Maybe she look better in another type of dress, then she had in FD?

clarie, happy for you :) I agree with you - what will be will be, but i just think, things could be musch better fro them.

Did you saw this photos from CBC article about GPF with D-W interview? They post photo, wich oyu will love - sweet Canton family
http://www.meryl-charlie.com/search/label/articles
Why Tessa always in the coner? Never saw her in the middle at the phtos with D-W.

martyross
01-13-2012, 01:31 PM
:D:D:D

New article from Beverley Smith, with quotes from today's teleconference with Davis & White: Fixed scoring error hands Moir, Virtue free-dance victory in Quebec (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/more-sports/fixed-scoring-error-hands-moir-virtue-free-dance-victory-in-quebec/article2297917/?utm_medium=Feeds%3A%20RSS%2FAtom&utm_source=Home&utm_content=2297917)

<<The ISU said the calculation program was updated immediately afterward and random checks of other international results showed no irregularities.

“It was really a big deal to us,” White said. “We did want to make a lot out of it. There is much to be made, really.”

Still, the overall second place stuck in Moir’s craw. At the event, he blurted: “We’re not happy. We felt like we laid down a good skate,” he said at the time. “In our opinions, it was a good enough skate to win and obviously, we were missing something.

(...)

“Scott has a little bit of a history of making off-the-cuff remarks,” White said. “We were not able to make light of it. It was a big deal.

“We’re going in as competitors. ... Of course you want to win. Do I think he wishes he hadn’t said that? I don't think that.”>>

:D lol...

VarBar
01-13-2012, 03:27 PM
I thought it was a brilliant attempt to get that feeling of the jazz bar dance scene into the FD, the lazy section as I call it. Unfortunately I think the mechanics needed to make it work wasn't being viewed favourably by the judges or much of the viewers.

Oh, I am sure the choreographers also had a theme-related purpose in mind when they designed that lift but the result might not necessarily be as brilliant as the intention behind it. Tessa wearing a stylish tight dress is mounted on Scott's shoulder and Scott is standing on one leg/one foot...I don't know, there must be other ways to make a dance lift look believable and get level 4 for it at the same time. JMHO.:)

Also, I hope they found a more memorable lift for their SD than the one I saw in the GP series although I have trouble to believe any new lift could beat the most sensual-looking temptation lift of last season. Too bad they couldn't keep that one.:(

Why Tessa always in the coner? Never saw her in the middle at the phtos with D-W.

Maybe Tessa is shy as a person and they say that shy people hate to be the center of attention.:)

pani
01-13-2012, 03:36 PM
Tessa wearing a stylish tight dress is mounted on Scott's shoulder and Scott is standing on one leg/one foot...I don't know, there must be other ways to make a dance lift look believable and get level 4 for it at the same time. JMHO.

Also, I hope they found a more memorable lift for their SD than the one I saw in the GP series although I have trouble to believe any new lift could beat the most sensual-looking temptation lift of last season. Too bad they couldn't keep that one.

O yes, they need to use there rotational lift on one hand, wish they are doing from juniors, because D-W made the same lift in every FD since they were juniors and got very high marks for this, why V-M need to try find something new?

Maybe Tessa is shy as a person and they say that shy people hate to be the center of attention.
Even when Tessa won, she put Davis in the center. Davis never stay in the coner, never ;)

marbri
01-13-2012, 04:14 PM
Oh, I am sure the choreographers also had a theme-related purpose in mind when they designed that lift but the result might not necessarily be as brilliant as the intention behind it. Tessa wearing a stylish tight dress is mounted on Scott's shoulder and Scott is standing on one leg/one foot...I don't know, there must be other ways to make a dance lift look believable and get level 4 for it at the same time. JMHO.:)

Also, I hope they found a more memorable lift for their SD than the one I saw in the GP series although I have trouble to believe any new lift could beat the most sensual-looking temptation lift of last season. Too bad they couldn't keep that one.:()

I read a poster on Goldenskate said the SD lift has been replaced with a rotational lift at the end so I´m assuming it´ll be your typical rotational that emphasizes their speedy rotations. I think it´ll be better than the one they had. We´ll just have to settle for seeing the original temptation lift in exhibitions ;)

DORISPULASKI
01-13-2012, 04:57 PM

Also, I hope they found a more memorable lift for their SD than the one I saw in the GP series although I have trouble to believe any new lift could beat the most sensual-looking temptation lift of last season. Too bad they couldn't keep that one.:(

Maybe Tessa is shy as a person and they say that shy people hate to be the center of attention.:)

pani, V&M do a rotational lift by itself and one as part of a combination lift in Funny Face. Just because a lift is a rotational lift doesn't mean it can't be interesting, and there are many versions of rotational lifts. I very much doubt that Tessa & Scott will be using the same version Meryl & Charlie use. And I wonder why you think they would, given that their rotational lift in Funny Face is getting GOE's of 3 and level 4.

If they were going to use a lift in the SD in replace of the current one, and want to use one they know well rather than inventing a new one, I would think that that's what they would use. I understand that they are moving the lift to the end of the SD, too?

This lift is the one I mean in Funny Face:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJXhEkhO1NU#t=3m30s