PDA

View Full Version : Weir Interview

Pages : [1] 2

Iceman
12-17-2011, 06:22 PM
http://www.epgn.com/pages/full_story/push?article--Johnny+Weir+returns+to+Philly+for+holiday+performa nce-%20&id=16793188

Willowway
12-17-2011, 06:46 PM
I think that Baryshnikov would be very surprised to hear that he's a "ballerina" (I hope that was the writer's error - Weir couldn't be that ignorant about dance). Is Misha a dancer? definitely; when he was on the ballet stage, a danseur noble? he was that; a ballerina? I don't think so.

Oh dear, now I'm getting visions of Baryshnikov in a tutu...LOL Ya think that's what Johnny had in mind? Just kidding!

bek
12-17-2011, 07:38 PM
I think that Baryshnikov would be very surprised to hear that he's a "ballerina" (I hope that was the writer's error - Weir couldn't be that ignorant about dance). Is Misha a dancer? definitely; when he was on the ballet stage, a danseur noble? he was that; a ballerina? I don't think so.

Oh dear, now I'm getting visions of Baryshnikov in a tutu...LOL Ya think that's what Johnny had in mind? Just kidding!

Yeah I think the ballerina word is quite unfair.

ks1227
12-17-2011, 07:45 PM
I took the "ballerina" comment as an attempt to be funny, not a mistake.

kittyjake5
12-17-2011, 07:52 PM
Thanks for the article, always nice to hear from Johnny!

bek
12-17-2011, 07:56 PM
I took the "ballerina" comment as an attempt to be funny, not a mistake.

But isn't that why so many Americans look down on male ballet dancers and figure skaters because they feel dance is feminine?

kwanfan1818
12-17-2011, 07:56 PM
Sometimes men are called "ballerinos".

Baryshnikov was cast in Premier Danseur (princes) roles in the West. I'm not sure what his rep was in the Soviet Union, but he was what was in traditional Kirov/Mariinsky type-casting, a demi-caractere dancer (Coppelia, Don Q, lots of jesters)

bek
12-17-2011, 08:23 PM
Sometimes men are called "ballerinos".

Baryshnikov was cast in Premier Danseur (princes) roles in the West. I'm not sure what his rep was in the Soviet Union, but he was what was in traditional Kirov/Mariinsky type-casting, a demi-caractere dancer (Coppelia, Don Q, lots of jesters)

But ballerino is Italian for male ballet dancer. And ballerina means female ballet dancer. In many languages words have masculine and feminine forms and so there's a difference between ballerino and ballerina. Ballerina has always referred to a female dancer. And isn't the ballerina really the big female star? Not sure what being a court jester has to do with it.

kwanfan1818
12-17-2011, 08:44 PM
I can't bring up the article on my phone -- the page is coming up blank -- so I can't tell if he was being cheeky, or was mis-heard, since "ballerino" is rarely used.

Prima Ballerina or Prima Ballerina Assoluta is what the female star is called. "Ballerina can be used to describe a six-year-old or the ideal -- ie, "She's a true ballerina." regardless of rank or star status.

Ballerina is usually not a rank. Principal Dancer is often the top, except for Paris Opera Ballet, which has a limited number of "Etoiles". Sometimes the top rank is First Dancer, but a top-ranked female dancer isn't always a ballerina -- the are plenty of lifetime achievement/outlast them all/loyal member of the company promotions -- in the ideal sense, and many lower-ranked dancers are ballerinas.

ks1227
12-17-2011, 08:46 PM
But isn't that why so many Americans look down on male ballet dancers and figure skaters because they feel dance is feminine?
Well, speaking as a gay man, if I heard another gay man use "ballerina" the way Johnny seems to be using it here, I would probably hear it as ironic and campy. I'm sure Johnny knows too much about ballet to have been using the term seriously, and I doubt he meant it as any kind of insult.

Bear in mind, I don't have any particular need to defend Johnny, he generally annoys me in his interviews (including parts of this one :shuffle:). I just don't think he meant that particular comment the way it's being interpreted.

I did like this comment about figure skating judges:

Thereís a whole list of things we arenít allowed to do. Even with the women, you canít wear theatrical makeup. The men arenít allowed to wear tights. They have to wear pants or something that looks like pants. The rules are endless for costuming and music. Especially now that the judges are a half a century older than the skater and they may not get Gaga.
:lol:

bek
12-17-2011, 08:52 PM
Well, speaking as a gay man, if I heard another gay man use "ballerina" the way Johnny seems to be using it here, I would probably hear it as ironic and campy. I'm sure Johnny knows too much about ballet to have been using the term seriously, and I doubt he meant it as any kind of insult.

Bear in mind, I don't have any particular need to defend Johnny, he generally annoys me in his interviews (including parts of this one :shuffle:). I just don't think he meant that particular comment the way it's being interpreted.

I did like this comment about figure skating judges:

:lol:

Well I get that but I think using that term just perpetuates the myth in America that dancing isn't something for straight men" If your going to make it sound that feminine. It doesn't matter if its being perputuated that way to gay or straight guys. I think it is a problem. How does referring a male ballet dancer as a ballerina help matters there?

Even I know that what a male ballet dancer does and what a female ballet dancer does is two very different things. It takes a lot of strength and athleticism I would think to be a male ballet dancer and be able to lift female dancers. I'd imagine gay male ballet dancers, would like that to be recognized too.

berthesghost
12-17-2011, 10:12 PM
Well, this is just Johnny being Johnny, yet again, and no time should IMO be wasted on taking any of it seriously or even at face value, including this little jem (truly outrageous!)
Especially now that the judges are a half a century older than the skater and they may not get Gaga :lol: yeah, because 50 years ago Peggy Fleming and Tim Wood skated in front of a panel of same age, long-haired hipster judges in Neru jackets, not cranky old white-haired farts, and Gaga is a true visionary and not ripping-off, sorry I meant paying homage to, 1960s artists like Jack Smith and Kenneth Anger.

Rottie
12-17-2011, 10:54 PM
Love the idea of Johnny competing in curling someday. Maybe he can bring sparkles to the sport. LOL!

This interview seems generous and full of gratitude and professional. His reference to Baryshnikov as a "ballerina" reads to me like a rhetorical device, and an effective one, to make the point through exaggeration that the ideal of heterosexual masculinity differs widely from culture to culture.

overedge
12-18-2011, 12:22 AM
Love the idea of Johnny competing in curling someday. Maybe he can bring sparkles to the sport. LOL!

Oh, I think curling is getting quite colourful by itself already.

http://thecurlingnews.com/blog/2010/03/new-norway-curling-pants/

kwanfan1818
12-18-2011, 12:59 AM
He should design curling pants, but Weir in a team sport?