PDA

View Full Version : Weir Interview

Pages : 1 [2]

leigh466
12-18-2011, 02:32 AM
Great interview. What a sweet young man he is to support the Trevor Project so wholeheartedly.

Iceman
12-18-2011, 06:42 PM
Most female dancers who dance ballet are called (female) ballet dancers. Ballerina, therefore, is a critical accolade bestowed on very few female dancers, somewhat similar to the title diva in opera. The male version of this term is danseur noble (French).

kwanfan1818
12-18-2011, 07:04 PM
"Danseur noble" is a type of male dancer, the dancer who dances leading aristocratic male roles. There are male dancers who are as accomplished as danseurs nobles who would never be given that title, including most of the greatest who danced for Balanchine, because they didn't dance that type of role.

The way we bandy around the term "diva" on this board is the way the word "ballerina" is used for many female dancers. It can be used as a critical accolade -- although there's no Nobel Prize committee-like board that bestows it, so it becomes in the eye of the beholder -- and it can be used to describe a 16-year-old winner of YAGP or the local girl who dances the Sugar Plum Fairy with a local school-based company.

cygnus
12-19-2011, 12:24 AM
Well, this is just Johnny being Johnny, yet again, and no time should IMO be wasted on taking any of it seriously or even at face value, including this little jem (truly outrageous!) :lol: yeah, because 50 years ago Peggy Fleming and Tim Wood skated in front of a panel of same age, long-haired hipster judges in Neru jackets, not cranky old white-haired farts, and Gaga is a true visionary and not ripping-off, sorry I meant paying homage to, 1960s artists like Jack Smith and Kenneth Anger.

This gets repeated often- about "old" judges, but I have been to a lot of competitions, and that's not what I see. Sure a few are in their 60s and 70s, but most are considerably younger, and the technical panel even more so. I would say (without seeing judges bios I can't be sure) that at most international comps they are in their 40s and 50s, with a few younger and a few older.

But judges now in their 70s would have grown up in the early days of Rock and Roll, in their 60s they would have grown up with the hippie movement and the sexual revolution. Those in their 50s grew up with Disco and Pink Floyd, and those in their 40s grew up with Madonna and Springsteen.

I realize that non-Western judges would have different frames of cultural reference (particularly China), but I don't think that Lady Gaga is much of a stretch to those who remember Madonna in her early days- or the "glam rock" of the 70s.

(By the way, I am replying to Johnny's original quote, not your post!)

Rottie
12-19-2011, 04:15 AM
But judges now in their 70s would have grown up in the early days of Rock and Roll, in their 60s they would have grown up with the hippie movement and the sexual revolution. Those in their 50s grew up with Disco and Pink Floyd, and those in their 40s grew up with Madonna and Springsteen.

I'm suddenly realizing how old I am! :lol:

Sylvia
12-21-2011, 11:37 PM
Is anyone planning to attend this show at the UPenn rink on Friday evening?

Two-time Olympian Johnny Weir is coming to Philadelphia Dec. 23 to perform in “Holiday Dreams on Ice,” an Olympic ice show featuring Weir and fellow skating stars Ashley Wagner, Armin Mahbanoozadeh, Samantha Cesario, Brandon Mroz and Tamar Katz.

Short blurb about the show: http://www.upenn.edu/almanac/volumes/v58/n16/ice.html

Iceman
12-22-2011, 07:33 AM
I'm suddenly realizing how old I am! :lol:

All I have to do these days to accomplish that is look in the mirror each morning and on the medicine cabinet shelf at all the unsuccessful wrinkle and lifting creams I have have purchased.:lol:

Tinami Amori
12-22-2011, 07:50 AM
I think that Baryshnikov would be very surprised to hear that he's a "ballerina".

In Russian language there is a word for a male ballet dancer - "balleroon" (балерун), but it can only be used in a casual conversation or for humor. The acceptable term is "ballet dancer" or "ballet artist". However, a male ballet director or choreographer is called "ballet-maister".. :lol:

And then there is always this kind of He-Ballerina...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMr30RPWMkw

SmallFairy
12-22-2011, 02:17 PM
Oh, I think curling is getting quite colourful by itself already.

http://thecurlingnews.com/blog/2010/03/new-norway-curling-pants/

That's our men!!:):)