PDA

View Full Version : Retrospective: The 1982 World Championships

Pages : 1 [2]

olympic
12-18-2011, 03:31 PM
Thanks for putting that post together, I enjoyed watching the videos!
Someone asked about Norbert Schramm, here is his website:
http://www.norbert-schramm.de

That was me. Thx

Maofan7
12-18-2011, 04:50 PM
Norbert Schramm was solidly 2d to Scott for a couple of seasons, but disappeared by Sarajevo '84. Anyone know what happened to him?

Norbert remained pretty competitive almost right up to the end of his amateur career (e.g. he finished second again to Scott Hamilton at the 1983 Worlds). He simply had a disastrous 1984. He finished 9th at the 1984 Olympics and then withdrew from the 1984 Worlds and retired as an amateur skater.

This bizarre fall in his short program at the 1984 Olympics somewhat summed up his 1983/84 season!:-

Norbert Schramm - Short Program - 1984 Olympics (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuPpo2d9hkI)

olympic
12-18-2011, 11:02 PM
Norbert remained pretty competitive almost right up to the end of his amateur career (e.g. he finished second again to Scott Hamilton at the 1983 Worlds). He simply had a disastrous 1984. He finished 9th at the 1984 Olympics and then withdrew from the 1984 Worlds and retired as an amateur skater.

This bizarre fall in his short program at the 1984 Olympics somewhat summed up his 1983/84 season!:-

Norbert Schramm - Short Program - 1984 Olympics (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuPpo2d9hkI)

Thanks, I was unaware of his participation in Sarajevo '84. ABC coverage was pretty bad unless you were a top 6 skater, so I didn't see his performances

ETA - I watched the videos of the ladies SP.

Zayak's SP despite the fall was nice - great, opening Camel spin, double axel and double salchow. She was definitely a substantial skater who was more than just about triple jumps.

I also liked this version of Witt - the athletic tomboy with big strong jumps who skated to cheesy music, not the mouthy diva she would become in the 2d Olympic cycle.

If Witt was first in the SP and Zayak was 10th, does anyone know who filled in 2d, 3d, 4th, etc.?

Seerek
12-18-2011, 11:49 PM
If Witt was first in the SP and Zayak was 10th, does anyone know who filled in 2d, 3d, 4th, etc.?

According to Wiki, it was:

Witt
Leistner
Vodorezova
Sumners

but I'm not sure if anyone else in the field attempted 2 flip - 3 toe. I think the other ladies were attempting 2 flip - 2 loop instead.

Maofan7
12-19-2011, 04:55 PM

Witt
Leistner
Vodorezova
Sumners

but I'm not sure if anyone else in the field attempted 2 flip - 3 toe. I think the other ladies were attempting 2 flip - 2 loop instead.

The other interesting point is that if there had been no school figures element, then the overall result based on the SP and LP would have been:-

1st Katarina Witt
2nd Claudia Leistner
3rd Elaine Zayak

kukkura
12-19-2011, 07:43 PM
The other interesting point is that if there had been no school figures element, then the overall result based on the SP and LP would have been:-

1st Katarina Witt
2nd Claudia Leistner
3rd Elaine Zayak

There are lots of interesting points in the women's competition because of the fluctuation. For example, 2nd and 5th place were enough for Wegelius to lead the competition before LP, and 12th place in the LP dropped her from 1st to 9th. If she had been 20th instead of 5th in the SP, she still would have finished 9th overall.

Seerek
12-20-2011, 06:37 PM
There are lots of interesting points in the women's competition because of the fluctuation. For example, 2nd and 5th place were enough for Wegelius to lead the competition before LP, and 12th place in the LP dropped her from 1st to 9th. If she had been 20th instead of 5th in the SP, she still would have finished 9th overall.

Another point to consider: Claudia Kristofics-Binder would have been world champion had she been 4th in the long program instead of 5th (would have been 1-9-4 in the 3 segments)

Vagabond
12-21-2011, 06:35 AM
Another point to consider: Claudia Kristofics-Binder would have been world champion had she been 4th in the long program instead of 5th (would have been 1-9-4 in the 3 segments)

She was 1-9-4 in the three segments, my friend. ;)

Check the Wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1982_World_Figure_Skating_Championships) again.

Erin
01-01-2012, 05:16 PM
Zayak's SP despite the fall was nice - great, opening Camel spin, double axel and double salchow. She was definitely a substantial skater who was more than just about triple jumps.

I also liked this version of Witt - the athletic tomboy with big strong jumps who skated to cheesy music, not the mouthy diva she would become in the 2d Olympic cycle.

Witt
Leistner
Vodorezova
Sumners

I'm late to this discussion, but just watched the CTV coverage of the SP and I can't believe how terrible the judging was in the ladies' SP. Zayak got hosed in the SP, very unfairly I thought. CTV showed the following skaters:

Witt (1st) - double flip-triple toe clean
Vodorezova (3rd) - double flip-single loop combo
Wegelius (5th) - double flip-double loop combo clean
Thomson (6th) - double flip-double loop combo clean
Cottrill (8th) - double flip-double loop clean
Kristoffics-Binder (9th) - double flip-double loop with three turns in between the two jumps, very squirrelly and poorly executed
Zayak (10th) - double flip-triple toe fall
Manley (11th) - double flip-double loop clean

I can't speak about Leistner, Sumners, or de Vries, but I cannot understand how either Vodorezova or Kristoffics-Binder ended up ahead of Zayak when they also made mistakes on a simpler combination and did not have the same quality as Zayak when it came to the spins, basic skating, and the other two jumps. Vodorezova's placement is particularly confusing.

Of the girls that did clean double flip-double loop combos, I thought Thomson and Manley had the best spins and Manley's strong basic skating was already evident by that stage - however, Manley was starting in 23rd after figures, so it's not really surprising that she didn't end up higher. Wegelius actually had a nice program and so I don't have a major problem with her placement, given that she had comparable content to most of the skaters in this program. Cottrill was pretty blah, not much to say either way about her.

It's a good thing all the cards fell in the right place in the free for Zayak to win, as the judging in the SP was really stacked against her.