PDA

View Full Version : Where is Maria Mukhortova these days?

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

IneZR
12-20-2011, 11:23 AM
As much as I love Maria, her chance to make it to major international competitions is close to zero. She is already 26 (which is a lot for pairs skater) and I simply do not see any male skaters of her caliber available right now; plus she is rather tall and that is an issue as well. It's a pity that her partnership with Jerome didn't work out, because they looked beautiful together and had they spent more time together as a pair, they could become medal contenders at Euros and top 6 finishers at Worlds.

Who knows, maybe someday she will be interested in coaching and will become a great pairs coach? Viktoria Volchkova is so young and her students are already winning JGP medals and are serious contenders for the podium at Russian Nationals. So maybe we'll see Maria M. coach some young Russian pair to 2018 Olympics podium? ;)

julieann
12-20-2011, 04:03 PM
As much as I love Maria, her chance to make it to major international competitions is close to zero. She is already 26 (which is a lot for pairs skater) and I simply do not see any male skaters of her caliber available right now; plus she is rather tall and that is an issue as well. It's a pity that her partnership with Jerome didn't work out, because they looked beautiful together and had they spent more time together as a pair, they could become medal contenders at Euros and top 6 finishers at Worlds.

Jerome was long shot as a partner for her because I don't believe he was serious about putting in the time it took in being a world class skater anymore. He always had the deer in headlights look to me. I doubt her height would stop her from being on top again as much as finding a guy who is up to her caliber.

As far as her age, she is pretty young by pair standards. Savchenko, Kavaguti, Zhang, Evora and Pang are all older than Maria.

Megan Duhamel is only a few weeks younger and Tatiana Volosozhar is 6 months younger.

Vash01
12-20-2011, 04:52 PM

;)

26 for a pairs skater is not old at all. Many pairs skaters develop later than singles skaters, and skate into their late 20's or early 30's. Xue Shen was considerably older at her last Olympics. The Protopopovs were 32 & 35 when they won their FIRST Olympic gold!

PashaFan
12-20-2011, 05:14 PM
I like to think positive when it comes to Maria.
She is still young, talented & I hope still has the desire to skate at the top.
There have been many skaters that have been written off for all kinds of reasons but have come back to do well.
Many thought Nancy Kerrigan was over after the 1993 Worlds but she came back to win Olympic Silver, Chen Lu at the 98 Olympics.
Tanya Szewzenko at the 98 Euro's. They all hung in there.
Okay, none were dominent champions but all showed the fight & will to do it.
I would love to see Maria do that.

IneZR
12-21-2011, 06:59 AM
As far as her age, she is pretty young by pair standards. Savchenko, Kavaguti, Zhang, Evora and Pang are all older than Maria.

Megan Duhamel is only a few weeks younger and Tatiana Volosozhar is 6 months younger.

Yes, but all the skaters you mentioned already HAVE partners with whom they've been skating together for quite some time. If miracle happens and Maria finds a suitable partner, they'll need at least one year to blend together as a pair and to establish themselves as a top couple in the eyes of Russian Fed. and the judges. And the fact that Russian team is so crowded already doesn't help either: the only option I see for Maria is skating for another country.

Ah, my heart is bleeding when I think of Maria Mukhortova and Caitlin Yankowskas: such gorgeous skaters and we don't get to see them in any competitions because they don't have partners. :(

DimaToe
12-21-2011, 07:02 AM
Ah, my heart is bleeding when I think of Maria Mukhortova and Caitlin Yankowskas: such gorgeous skaters and we don't get to see them in any competitions because they don't have partners. :(

Same here :( I vote that if partners cant be found that Yankowskas/Mukhortova is formed!! :swoon:

julieann
12-21-2011, 07:50 AM
Yes, but all the skaters you mentioned already HAVE partners with whom they've been skating together for quite some time. If miracle happens and Maria finds a suitable partner, they'll need at least one year to blend together as a pair and to establish themselves as a top couple in the eyes of Russian Fed. and the judges. And the fact that Russian team is so crowded already doesn't help either: the only option I see for Maria is skating for another country.

Actually Duhamel/Radford and Volosozhar/Trankov have only been togther since 2010 (1.5 years) the only difference is who their former partners were.

If Maria can find a partner as good as she is switching countries is no problem since Russia will have no say in what country she skates for.

Finding someone is another matter, but as John Coughlin proved, men do become available for whatever reason. :shuffle:

If she does find a partner soon there is no reason she can't still be around until 2018. She would only be 32.

PashaFan
12-21-2011, 04:07 PM
I also agree about Caitlin Yankowskas (she always reminded me of Julia Obertas) is a wasted talent just like Maria.
Does Maria have the oportunity to switch countries?.
It is such a shame to see such great skaters not competing.

Perky Shae Lynn
12-21-2011, 05:31 PM
That may not be true of every partnership, but it's probably true of Maria (being called the villain, the worse jumper, the worse temperament, etc).
Vash, I totally respect your opinion... But in this particular case (having observed Maria in practice & competition), I believe she was impossible to partner with. Her personality aside, I think it's her relationship with Oleg that ruined everything.

briancoogaert
12-21-2011, 07:14 PM
Vash, I totally respect your opinion... But in this particular case (having observed Maria in practice & competition), I believe she was impossible to partner with. Her personality aside, I think it's her relationship with Oleg that ruined everything.
Yes, there was something disturbing in this partnership.
During the warm-up or right before the program, Oleg was only talking to Maria.
Plus, I always had the feeling that Maxim didn't want to express anything during the program, that he could have done so much better but that something (or someone) told him : "no, don't".
Really strange feeling. Now, with Tatiana, I appreciate his style.
Really something that didn't work between Maria, Oleg and Maxim.

Vash01
12-21-2011, 07:21 PM
Oleg has had close relationships with two of the pairs ladies he coached. Is that his pattern? Just curious. Before Tatiana, I had not heard anything like that about him.

judgejudy27
03-17-2014, 04:34 AM
What is Maria doing now? Are she and Oleg still a couple.

TAHbKA
03-17-2014, 10:49 AM
What is Maria doing now? Are she and Oleg still a couple.
Vasiliev mentioned in one of the interviews he is now married to a woman who lives in Russia (not Mukhortova) and is to become a father

Cherub721
03-17-2014, 05:39 PM
Vasiliev mentioned in one of the interviews he is now married to a woman who lives in Russia (not Mukhortova) and is to become a father

Well damn.

Xela M
03-18-2014, 01:49 AM

According to Wikipedia they are divorced and have a daughter. It could be wrong though.