PDA

View Full Version : Where is Maria Mukhortova these days?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

Vash01
12-18-2011, 05:39 PM
No one says that Trankov was squeeky clean, but he did land his jumps much more frequently that she did. It seems that you do have some trouble with recollection. Maybe look at the last two years of them skating together, make a list of all their GP events, Europeans and Worlds and go trough all the programs (on youtube) and count how many times each of them missed jump. I know, it will be a bit time consuming, but it will remind you how often she missed a jump.

In majority of pairs one skater is a more consistent jumper than the other. Very few pairs are absolutely equal, so you can't really blame one skater for the entire failure of the team. Pairs have survived when one partner was a weak jumper (S&P, for example on the international scene, and I&B in the USA). Sometimes a pair just does not get beyond a certain level, and M&T may have plateued (sp?) out.

It is not worth my time to go through the exercise you suggested. My time is too valuable for that. You are welcome to invest your time, if you wish.

Coco
12-18-2011, 07:28 PM
Or there may be some, but the question is, would they want to skate with her? Not everyone can bear the skating conditions where your female partner is in relationship with your coach. It can make working a bit difficult.

Tatiana is married to their assistant coach. Now, there is a huge difference between head coach and assistant coach. But I think a big part of the problems that Maria and Max had were Oleg - his methods and (I'm guessing) lack of professionalism.

bek
12-18-2011, 07:45 PM
In majority of pairs one skater is a more consistent jumper than the other. Very few pairs are absolutely equal, so you can't really blame one skater for the entire failure of the team. Pairs have survived when one partner was a weak jumper (S&P, for example on the international scene, and I&B in the USA). Sometimes a pair just does not get beyond a certain level, and M&T may have plateued (sp?) out.

It is not worth my time to go through the exercise you suggested. My time is too valuable for that. You are welcome to invest your time, if you wish.

I think that Maria and Maxim would have eventually ended up on the world podium, if they had stuck together, to be quite frank. They were fabulously matched in a lot of ways. I don't think Maria's jumps was the only issue. Max's relationship with Maria and Oleg I think was the issue as well. It was not a good working relationship it seems, and when the working relationship it leads to not training as hard as possible etc. I think its worth noting that Maxim signed up to train with Tatiana's husband in the very beginning, whereas Maxim didn't sign up to train with Maria's boyfriend from the very beginning.

This being said Maxim is lucky to have Tatiana sure, but Tatiana is also lucky to have Maxim. At the end of the day Maxim/Maria were far more likely to end up on World/Olympic podiums than Tatiana/Stanislav. Now yes Tatiana had other options, but Trankov probably is the best male partner in the world.

In terms of Maria, there's frankly a reason her and Oleg, who clearly couldn't stand Trankov, kept Trankov around. Its because there was nobody better available. It doesn't mean that Maria can't find another very good partner, that she might get along better with. But thats sometimes the way it is.

Vash01
12-18-2011, 08:27 PM
I think that Maria and Maxim would have eventually ended up on the world podium, if they had stuck together, to be quite frank. They were fabulously matched in a lot of ways. I don't think Maria's jumps was the only issue. Max's relationship with Maria and Oleg I think was the issue as well. It was not a good working relationship it seems, and when the working relationship it leads to not training as hard as possible etc. I think its worth noting that Maxim signed up to train with Tatiana's husband in the very beginning, whereas Maxim didn't sign up to train with Maria's boyfriend from the very beginning.

This being said Maxim is lucky to have Tatiana sure, but Tatiana is also lucky to have Maxim. At the end of the day Maxim/Maria were far more likely to end up on World/Olympic podiums than Tatiana/Stanislav. Now yes Tatiana had other options, but Trankov probably is the best male partner in the world.

In terms of Maria, there's frankly a reason her and Oleg, who clearly couldn't stand Trankov, kept Trankov around. Its because there was nobody better available. It doesn't mean that Maria can't find another very good partner, that she might get along better with. But thats sometimes the way it is.

I don't quite agree with that relationship with the coach thing, because it did not hinder some other pairs from being successful (Moskvina & her coach Igor, Totmianina & Oleg, and now Savchenko & her coach). May be Oleg & Trankov just could not get along personality wise.

Tatiana was definitely lucky to get Trankov for her partner because with Stanislav she was not going to win even a world medal. Now she could be a contender for the OGM.

bek
12-18-2011, 09:26 PM
I don't quite agree with that relationship with the coach thing, because it did not hinder some other pairs from being successful (Moskvina & her coach Igor, Totmianina & Oleg, and now Savchenko & her coach). May be Oleg & Trankov just could not get along personality wise.

Tatiana was definitely lucky to get Trankov for her partner because with Stanislav she was not going to win even a world medal. Now she could be a contender for the OGM.

I'd think it would depend on the relationship between the skaters too. If the two skaters get alone, and the coach treats both skaters equally on the ice its one thing. But I believe there were rumors that it wasn't the case with Oleg. In the case of Oleg/Tatiana. Tatiana and Maxim had a better relationship than Maria/Max did, if I recall and they were also winning. Skaters are willing to put up with a lot more when they are winning. But when your not winning, unhappy with your coaches, and a better partner becomes available...

Cherub721
12-18-2011, 11:14 PM
The fact of the matter is that Oleg & Maria were doing weird shit like telling Max that they had to take time off to visit Maria's sick grandmother, when in fact they went on vacation. :P Perhaps he didn't pull such nonsense with Totmianina or maybe Marinin didn't care. That particular group seemed very together and drama-free.

vivika1982
12-19-2011, 12:00 AM
The fact of the matter is that Oleg & Maria were doing weird shit like telling Max that they had to take time off to visit Maria's sick grandmother, when in fact they went on vacation. :P Perhaps he didn't pull such nonsense with Totmianina or maybe Marinin didn't care. That particular group seemed very together and drama-free.

I believe T/M situation was even more complicated because they dated briefly/it was mentioned in one documentary/ . Anyway, their personal life is their own problem but is pity because Mukhtorova is good skater.:shuffle: She is not the only one. Many good skaters in ice dance and pairs got retired early due to injuries or lack of equal partner. Wherever she is i hope she'll find the best resolution for her personal life and professional career.

Aussie Willy
12-19-2011, 12:45 AM
Maria Petrova was very consistent in her jumps and throws. Somehow she and Anton just did not work out as a pair.
I thought the partnership broke up because Anton wanted to skate with Elena B. And they got together after Elena recovered from her injury.

Kasey
12-19-2011, 12:51 AM
I have no problem with you having a different opinion, but I feel offended by those highlighted phrases. It should be possible to discuss FS and disagreeing strongly without resorting to such words. I have seen worse on the chatboards of other sports, but they are other sports, and I still like to believe FS and this board to be cleaner.

The sport of figure skating is not so pristine to be above the use of the words you dislike. The amount of cheating judges, politics and skater/coach/whoever affairs like the world is a merry-go-round should be some indication of that. But if you don't like my verbiage, feel free to put me on ignore, rather than to try to preach about proper forum etiquette. In other words, take responsibility for your own outrage rather than dictating to someone else what they should or shouldn't do.

BittyBug
12-19-2011, 05:55 PM
I thought the partnership broke up because Anton wanted to skate with Elena B. And they got together after Elena recovered from her injury.I thought the reason Pet and Sikh split was that Anton wanted to train with Moskvina in St. Petersburg and Maria wanted to stay in Moscow.

Vash01
12-19-2011, 07:39 PM
I thought the partnership broke up because Anton wanted to skate with Elena B. And they got together after Elena recovered from her injury.

From what I heard, Anton and Maria had already decided to split after that season because they were not moving up in the ranks at international competitions. Anton wanted to go to Tamara, but Maria wanted to continue with the Velikovs.

Tamara said in her interviews that after Elena returned from Riga with her head injury, they did not know if she would be able to skate at all, let alone compete. Initially Anton was just helping her get on the ice, as a means to help her recover. It was a long process before they started skating with the goal to compete. So I don't think Anton & Maria split because he wanted to skate with Elena (of course he did, when it became clear that she could actually skate pairs and that she wanted to skate with him).

Vash01
12-19-2011, 07:43 PM
I thought the reason Pet and Sikh split was that Anton wanted to train with Moskvina in St. Petersburg and Maria wanted to stay in Moscow.

I did not see this before I posted a reply to this.

I don't believe Maria & Anton were training in Moscow. They trained at the same rink in St.Petersburg as Elena & Oleg (Shliakov) did. That's how Anton and Tamara (and other skaters) saw that Oleg was treating Elena horribly.

Anton did want to change coaches (but not location), but Maria did not, hence the split.

Aussie Willy
12-19-2011, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the Elena and Anton info.

Ziggy
12-19-2011, 11:31 PM
Given Oleg's charming attitude and personality and his penchant for screwing his students, I am actually very glad that he isn't coaching any high profile skaters at the moment.

It somehow worked with Totmianina/Marinin but they were one in a milion talents (I can't think of anybody as consistent as them).

PashaFan
12-20-2011, 10:47 AM

I did not know any of this, so I'm quite shocked.
If I was Maxim & had to put up with this I would have gone looking for a new partner too.
But I would still love to see Maria come back at top level & compete with a new partner.
I think she needs a strong man who will not put up with this.
I really think she has the talent to win major medals & compete in Sochi.