PDA

View Full Version : Zhulin: The sky high marks Davis/White and Virtue/Moir receive are scary

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8

overedge
12-16-2011, 12:06 AM
Usually I like Tracy's commentary but she seemed to have an intense dislike for G&P.

I don't think it's fair to single her out. IIRC they were not everyone's favourite team.

aliona22
12-16-2011, 12:37 AM
Blinded by the headband ;):P

:navkos1: :swoon:

Proustable
12-16-2011, 12:40 AM
Not only that, Tracy even said they were not ready at the 1998 Olympics. They skated an extremely difficult FD; you cannot do that without training hard. Had the 98 Olympics been in Canada, I shudder to think what might have happened...........2002 SLC, 4 years ahead?

Usually I like Tracy's commentary but she seemed to have an intense dislike for G&P.

Yeah, I think her commentary about the Requiem FD is pretty bad.

I don't understand your earlier comment, however. What do you think would've happened if the Olympics had been held in Canada.

berthesghost
12-16-2011, 12:51 AM
^ not sure what it has to do with g&p, but there as a lot of complaining back then about a&p bronze vs b&k. I suppose it was a joke that a Canadian female tv commentator would just carry on hysterically until double medals were rewarded to a Canadian pair.

marbri
12-16-2011, 01:16 AM
Well, it's ice dance/figure skating. Nothing is ever truly edgy, risky or innovative.

In comparison, however.... :shuffle:

I don't care what a team skates to so long as they do something that interests me. And they actually use the music and not ignore it while they do tricks. If that's the case we may just as well amalgamate ice dance with pairs and have done with it. :P

Oh and it's Lara Fabian and not Celine Dion. Surely any self-respecting Canadian should be able to tell when it's The Dion. :drama:

Agree with the bolded part except maybe the interests me but with that I mean the music and theme may not interest me but if they actually use the music and choreography makes sense with the music then I'm open to it. Obviously every team will have moments where they lapse to fill the CoP checklist but if I see they are trying to make it fit I give them a pass.:D

marbri
12-16-2011, 01:18 AM
Tracy Wilson and other Canadian commentators spent 95-98 trashing G&P in their commentary for having no connection with each other and not reaching the audience, despite the fact that G&P got a great response everywhere they competed, minus Canada.

They kept hammering it over and over again, that people just started repeating it. Susie Wynne did the same thing during the B/A versus Delschoe years.

I was watching Eurosport in those days so I can't comment on what was happening on Canadian TV. Never had the pleasure of hearing Susie Wynne either although if she had that complaint about DelSchoebs I'd agree with her :D

manhn
12-16-2011, 02:39 AM
Ooh, a Celine Dion wannabe! So innovative and unique!

vivika1982
12-16-2011, 02:48 AM
Haha, a comment of D/W skating is now all about N/K' skating ability.

Maybe because when they competed with teams that had same ability at least few times N/K were also scary highmarked and Kostomarov wasn't anywhere near as good as Moir or White.

Domshabfan
12-16-2011, 03:12 AM
Maybe because when they competed with teams that had same ability at least few times N/K were also scary highmarked and Kostomarov wasn't anywhere near as good as Moir or White.

I don't remember N/K scoring 10s, intact their scores were close to the other teams. During the Olympics they lost CD to Italians, and they were within striking distance for B/A to win the gold medal, but it was Beldin's mistake on twizzles that sealed the victory.

caseyedwards
12-16-2011, 03:50 AM
N/K's record high scores were only because PCS was factored more than it is now and scaled back because dance doesn't have tech that scores that high. So funny that there COP victories in worlds and olympics was 6 and 4! LOL.

overedge
12-16-2011, 07:26 PM
N/K's record high scores were only because PCS was factored more than it is now and scaled back because dance doesn't have tech that scores that high. So funny that there COP victories in worlds and olympics was 6 and 4! LOL.

What?

Ajax
12-16-2011, 08:32 PM
ITA with everything Zhulin said. I'm also baffled by the super high marks received by D&W. I enjoy watching them a lot but no way are they that much better than the rest of the field. Zhulin nailed it when he said V&M have a connection and D&W don't. Face it, Latin dancing is all about sex. It's not cutesy shimmying to J-Lo, it's supposed to be sensual, smoldering, seductive. How D&W propose to embody any of that when they barely look each other in the eye, I don't know. Their body language basically screams "NO SIR WE ARE NOT NOR WILL WE EVER BE SEXUALLY INVOLVED!!!" This is definitely something they need to work on.

It's sad to read about I&K. They had so much potential but if they really wanted to be considered as contenders for Sochi, this was the year that they had to make a splash I think.

maharbabackward
12-16-2011, 09:48 PM
I don't even think that the eye contact/ connection is what makes V/M superior to D/W. Its the edge quality, position and line, unison. What D/W possess is great speed, but if they had to maintain the edges, be aware of position and line as do V/M would they really be as fast? I find that these traits should be held utmost especially for ice dance, but it isn't.

vivika1982
12-16-2011, 10:49 PM
I don't remember N/K scoring 10s, intact their scores were close to the other teams. During the Olympics they lost CD to Italians, and they were within striking distance for B/A to win the gold medal, but it was Beldin's mistake on twizzles that sealed the victory.

:) I was just answering your question , why N/K are being discussed in thread dedicated to an interview given by their coach. BTW Zhulin has very good points. Just it looked kind of awkward since once upon a time his students /am not referring to their 2006 OG / were in the same shoes/skates as V/M and D/W and skyrocketed to the top . I am not found of all of D/W programs either but for me their scores in the era of COP aren’t as questionable as all 6.0 N/K got for their “Pink panther”. It is not my place to discussed it and I liked this program and Zhulin’s work but I am still puzzled how EX passed as FD received greater scores than G/P “Memorial” or A/P “Carmina Burana” for example who were competing during the same scoring system. Yes, now is another time and the distance between the leaders and the rest of the competitors shouldn't be like an abyss but in general all those “innocent” questions and comments here and there , all the loud or humble trashing and crashing other teams gets a little annoying.

maatTheViking
12-16-2011, 11:26 PM
huh. I don't think V/M has a great connection, but then I find most of their programs boring.
D/W's programs I find fun, and I think they connect well enough.

And I liked N/K, and they had a lot more connection than either of V/M or D/W