PDA

View Full Version : Zhulin: The sky high marks Davis/White and Virtue/Moir receive are scary

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8

equatorial
12-15-2011, 02:37 PM
As for connection, did Grishuk & Platov ever acknowledge each other on the ice? If so, I never saw it.

:confused: That's akin to saying "did T&D have anything resembling good technique? if so, i never saw it".

Ozzisk8tr
12-15-2011, 02:46 PM
Virtue & Moir's marks are semi fine, a bit too high at times but mostly within reason. However both Davis & White and the Shibutanis have been grossly overscored, especialy on PCS, for well over a year now. The Shibutanis bronze at Worlds last year which was actually enabled not only by TES but by PCS which were inexplicably higher than Weaver & Poje and not too far from Pechalat & Bourzat was a complete farce. The enormous gaps V&M and D&W are given on the field also makes ice dancing borderline boring. I know it was a different system but Torvill & Dean in their primes were not even given such a huge gap on their competitors in scores. It seems like Chan they could make about 5 major mistakes or more and still beat all the others, although fortunately unlike Chan they dont ever do so (which although I am grateful to them for not doing so, almost makes it even more boring as atleast with Chan there is some wonder if he can possibly F up so bad that he might lose, which doesnt exist with the top 2 dance teams and their guaranteed gold and silver at each event, I am just sick of the huge gaps that are forming under COP in general). I am glad to see someone having the courage to speak out about it.

It is quite obvious the USFSA has learnt the political game these days, as have the Canadians as the scores of Chan and to a lesser degree Virtue & Moir are showing. So much for only the big bag Russian and European empire knowing how to politik which was the myth for years perpetuated by the North American media. In fact the Russian fed. today pales in comparision to the Canadian and American versions as far as politiking goes. Otherwise Volosozhar & Trankov would have won the GP final.

I love the way you say things like they are fact. :lol:

Asli
12-15-2011, 02:47 PM
ITA with equatorial's post above. Maybe Grishuk and Platov were not friends off the ice, but from the moment they started skating they had the most amazing chemistry. :hat1:

wit's end
12-15-2011, 04:08 PM
Somebody please explain to me how Torvill and Dean could have been considered so great if personal "chemistry" is a prerequisite.

marbri
12-15-2011, 04:10 PM
Navka could absolutely teach them how to skate Latin and this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpfkvNHac6g) should be compulsory viewing. Show any expert in Latin dance this and the SDs of the Top 3 teams from Worlds last season have this season and I know which one they'll pick as having more Latin character.

A clue: it won't be any of the teams coached by Zoueva/Shpilband. ;)

Here I'll respectively disagree with you but I should disclose I thought N&K were overrated. But in trying to compare their OD versus some of the SD's today I could split their OD into three parts and say that imo V&M beat them on the first section, W&P kick their ass on the second section and P&B top them on the third. A lot more freedom in the OD format but having just watched that one I prefer the three I compared them to. V&M do a better ballroom version, W&P bring more heat and I'd rather party in Brazil with P&B :D

ITA with equatorial's post above. Maybe Grishuk and Platov were not friends off the ice, but from the moment they started skating they had the most amazing chemistry. :hat1:

I wonder if people have more their final year in mind when Pasha was pursuing her Hollywood dreams and even Platov looked like he would rather be having a root canal than be on the ice with her. But in the previous years they were great and seemed to have a better relationship.

allezfred
12-15-2011, 04:25 PM
Here I'll respectively disagree with you but I should disclose I thought N&K were overrated.

Oh. No. You. Didn't. :lynch:

MarieM
12-15-2011, 04:29 PM
Navka was not overrated. The problem was Kostomarov. ;)

marbri
12-15-2011, 04:29 PM
I was immune to the Navka headband but I was aware of it's powers of delusion it cast over you mere mortals ;)

allezfred
12-15-2011, 04:30 PM
Navka was not overrated. The problem was Kostomarov. ;)

Complaints about Kostomarov are overrated. ;)

equatorial
12-15-2011, 04:34 PM
Complaints about Kostomarov are overrated. ;)

This. He had his problems, but his posture was great, and the guy could dance :)

sk9tingfan
12-15-2011, 04:34 PM
Somebody please explain to me how Torvill and Dean could have been considered so great if personal "chemistry" is a prerequisite.

Touche! Exactly. Not every ice dancing couple should have to try to demonstrate a passionate attachment to excel. Is this an exercise in acting or a sport?

marbri
12-15-2011, 04:43 PM
Touche! Exactly. Not every ice dancing couple should have to try to demonstrate a passionate attachment to excel. Is this an exercise in acting or a sport?

Chemistry is probably the word people grab to fit with the following requirement of interpretation "relationship between partners, particularly that which reflects the nature of the music".

I would say T&D had that in spades.

sap5
12-15-2011, 04:52 PM

LOL -- so many people thought T&D were in a romantic relationship when they were in their heyday:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1085567/Torvill-Dean-steamy-rink-lovers-right.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/profiles/torvill-amp-dean-in-from-the-cold-522047.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/6790388/Torvill-and-Dean-It-was-always-about-the-skating-we-had-no-time-for-love.html

Vash01
12-15-2011, 05:20 PM
So, giving 6.0s in the previous judging era was a mistake too?

In the last year of the 6.0 system, judges were handing out 6.0's like Halloween candy. That was obviously wrong. However, some performances before that year actually deserved the 6.0's. Also remember that the system was relative, so 6.0 did not necessarily mean perfection, and the lack of 6.0 did not necessarily mean a flawed performance.

query5
12-15-2011, 06:06 PM
actually they are the same,
\why=[ in gpf v/m slipped on a lift but was given credit for a level 4 . she covered it up well.
\
they over mark chan all the time,
\they overmarked, overscored v/m at beginning of the season
personally for me all disciplines are overscored.

d/w and v/m attack it more. so it seems more reasonable.

they should be the same.

if v/m. would have won.-you wouldn't have this discussion. regarding overscored because isu, canada would have been happy if they won despite cheating/overscoring.