PDA

View Full Version : IPAD Newbie - Tips and Advice

DAngel
12-14-2011, 06:33 AM
I have occasional contacts with apple products and I have an ipod, but I've never really been a fan of apple... In fact, quite the opposite :shuffle:

Due to a Series of Unfortunate Events (just kidding :D) I received an IPAD for my Bday present :) I've been playing around with it, and I have been reading around, but I thought I would ask people here for tips and advice.

A couple of questions:

Is there a way to download free apps from the apple store without having to give out my credit card or using an apple gift card?

I am thinking of jailbreaking the IPAD, would it be better to do it after or before i get some apps from the apple store? Does it make a difference at all?

I know some of the apps I'm interested in: pdf reader, art-related apps for sketching, drawing and painting... And I think there's an app that can make the battery lasts longer? Some note-taking app, agenda app, folder management app, etc...

What are some of your favourite apps? Let's discuss the awesomeness of the IPAD here :P

(haters please stay away, I want to stay enthusiastic about my IPAD :shuffle:)

Ziggy
12-14-2011, 06:53 AM
1. Don't use sharp knives as styluses.

2. Use a Microsoft Tampon during your period instead, unless you want your menstrual fluid to become your tweeted status. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIz-KCxKz0c)

Buzz
12-14-2011, 01:17 PM
oh dear... LOL I want an iPad too, especially since my computer is on it's last legs. LOL I just have a silly little question; how do you hook this thing up to the internet?

Ziggy
12-14-2011, 01:34 PM
Wi-fi or 3G.

Aceon6
12-14-2011, 04:13 PM
Is there a way to download free apps from the apple store without having to give out my credit card or using an apple gift card?
Not really, unless someone puts you on their account with an allowance. To be realistic, the way the Apple store is set up, they can't prevent you from buying an app, so they need your billing info.

I am thinking of jailbreaking the IPAD, would it be better to do it after or before i get some apps from the apple store? Does it make a difference at all?
I don't think there's any reason to jailbreak, unless you live in an area that doesn't have an iTunes store.

I know some of the apps I'm interested in: pdf reader, art-related apps for sketching, drawing and painting... And I think there's an app that can make the battery lasts longer? Some note-taking app, agenda app, folder management app, etc...

What are some of your favourite apps? Let's discuss the awesomeness of the IPAD here :P

Check the app reviews at CNet and ilounge.com. Google is your friend, as long a you enter a precise search like "free iPad app for drawing"

Oh, and btw, it's iPad.

skateycat
12-14-2011, 04:53 PM
I have occasional contacts with apple products and I have an ipod, but I've never really been a fan of apple... In fact, quite the opposite :shuffle:

Due to a Series of Unfortunate Events (just kidding :D) I received an IPAD for my Bday present :) I've been playing around with it, and I have been reading around, but I thought I would ask people here for tips and advice.

A couple of questions:

Nope.

I have no interest in jailbreaking, so my answer comes from my vague memory of other people talking about jailbreaking. It doesn't make a difference if you buy apps before or after you jailbreak, but if I recall correctly, you have to make sure you don't accidentally run the iOS upgrade because that may either undo your jailbreaking or turn your iPad into a cute little brick.

Somewhere else on here is a thread about people's favorite iPad apps. A bunch of us chipped in and got my son an iPad. He uses it for games, watching movies and listening to or reading books.

I would rather have a MacBook Air than an iPad, as the course management software I deal with ten months out of the year doesn't play well with the iOS (iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch operating system). But I love playing games on the iPad after my son goes to bed. Heh.

DAngel
12-14-2011, 10:11 PM
Check the app reviews at CNet and ilounge.com. Google is your friend, as long a you enter a precise search like "free iPad app for drawing"

I already did and I listed the apps I'm wanted in my first post, I just don't remember the names. I'm familiar with google.

I created this thread because I know some people here have Ipads... And maybe some of them want to talk about how great (or horrible :shuffle:) it is...

Somewhere else on here is a thread about people's favorite iPad apps. A bunch of us chipped in and got my son an iPad. He uses it for games, watching movies and listening to or reading books.

Wasn't that thread for IPhone?