PDA

View Full Version : Will the men's event at Worlds this year be judged fairly?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

julieann
12-14-2011, 04:42 PM
Yes he deserved the World title BUT only because others did not do well.

There are plenty of skaters who have won medals - even gold because others have failed. In every sport since the beginning of time. That's not the winners fault.

kwanatic
12-14-2011, 04:49 PM
I voted Michelle Kwan...:encore:

She's going to win the event by a landslide and the judges will be like, "Patrick who??" How is this possible, you say...how can Michelle Kwan be named the men's single world champ?:huh: I say with Michelle Kwan, all things are possible:saint:.

PashaFan
12-14-2011, 04:56 PM
There are plenty of skaters who have won medals - even gold because others have failed. In every sport since the beginning of time. That's not the winners fault.

I said that was not his fault !

Frau Muller
12-14-2011, 05:23 PM
ROTFL - The Kween is almost ahead in votes!!! Ha-ha-ha! No matter what the question, the Kween will prevail.

DarrellH
12-14-2011, 06:02 PM
I'm not talking about Chan/Plushenko the person, I'm talking about the judges favouring them.
Plushenko always got high marks even when there were errors.
Yes, he had high technical difficulty but he was never punished like others when he skated bad.

Chanshenko?:D Of course, he'd need to grow a mullet.

Vash01
12-14-2011, 07:23 PM
You know when you just don't like someone but you don't know why?
That's how I feel about Chan.
Yes he deserved the World title BUT only because others did not do well.
No, that's not his fault but now I feel he is being treated a bit like Plushenko was. It does not really matter to the judges if he makes errors because they will give him such high marks no matter what.It is taken out of the others hands.
I just find Chan quite bland.
Abbott, I have found myself really liking.

After the Salt Lake City Olympics everybody was saying change the judging system but I was saying change the judges !
!!!!!

I think Chan skated well enough to win the world title (also the 2010 GPF), and not just because others did poorly. I find him beautiful to watch, just not as extroverted as Takahashi. Had he not received the preferential treatment, I might have become his fan by now. However, bland/otherwise is a matter of taste.

No, I don't believe even Plushenko was given that kind of royal treatment. He actually lost to Sandhu at the GPF and to another skater in another competition- was it Joubert? Plushenko rarely made major mistakes in his skates, but when he did, he was penalized. I don't see that happening with Chan. Also don't forget that most of Plushenko's competitions were skated in the 6.0 system or the evolving COP.

About SLC, it' s not a good example, IMO. The pairs skating should never have generated a controversy. The results were very close, and it could have gone either way. It was all politics, and the results should never have been changed. It's water under the bridge.

PashaFan
12-14-2011, 07:49 PM
Plushenko got fantasic scores at the 2004 Worlds despite falling.
Joubert should have won that.
Chan/Plushenko-the same person?........the judges would wet themselves with joy !!!

DimaToe
12-14-2011, 09:33 PM
From the poll votes so far there's only one way to know the truth...we have to ask The Kween....

judgejudy27
12-14-2011, 11:04 PM
Joubert skated extremely well but no he should not have won the 2004 Worlds. Lambiel should have beaten him in the long program in fact. Lambiel also landed 2 quads, and the rest of his skating and program (spins, footwork, choreography, style) was far superior other than their basic skating which was similar. Prime Plushenko is far enough ahead of Joubert that one fall on not even an element is nothing that would put him below Brian.

Whether Plushenko was inflated in scores or not he never won an event he didnt deserve to win. Even if one thinks the judges at times had a multi fall cushion in mind for him he never used it and instead elminated any chance of controversy by skating perfectly nearly each time out, and in fact the rare times he made mistakes (more than one fluke fall going backwards) he lost events- 2004 Grand Prix final, 2004 Europeans, 2005 Worlds where he was clearly heading to only a silver or bronze even before his WD. Chan is more than happy to show us the cushion the judges have for him time and time again, and does not lose events no matter how many mistakes he makes.

PS- nobody has ever questioned Chan deserving to win the 2010 GPF and 2011 World titles. That is the way people want to see him skate more often. If he did there wouldnt be any question about his victories and being propped up by judges. Yes in cases like the 2011 Canadians and 2011 Worlds the scores are probably still a bit exagerrated, as they were for Plushenko at times, but if you clearly skate better than your competitors nobody cares about the scores much.

Vash01
12-14-2011, 11:37 PM
Joubert skated extremely well but no he should not have won the 2004 Worlds. Lambiel should have beaten him in the long program in fact. Lambiel also landed 2 quads, and the rest of his skating and program (spins, footwork, choreography, style) was far superior other than their basic skating which was similar. Prime Plushenko is far enough ahead of Joubert that one fall on not even an element is nothing that would put him below Brian.

Whether Plushenko was inflated in scores or not he never won an event he didnt deserve to win. Even if one thinks the judges at times had a multi fall cushion in mind for him he never used it and instead elminated any chance of controversy by skating perfectly nearly each time out, and in fact the rare times he made mistakes (more than one fluke fall going backwards) he lost events- 2004 Grand Prix final, 2004 Europeans, 2005 Worlds where he was clearly heading to only a silver or bronze even before his WD. Chan is more than happy to show us the cushion the judges have for him time and time again, and does not lose events no matter how many mistakes he makes.

PS- nobody has ever questioned Chan deserving to win the 2010 GPF and 2011 World titles. That is the way people want to see him skate more often. If he did there wouldnt be any question about his victories and being propped up by judges. Yes in cases like the 2011 Canadians and 2011 Worlds the scores are probably still a bit exagerrated, as they were for Plushenko at times, but if you clearly skate better than your competitors nobody cares about the scores much.

IIRC that fluke fall was in the 6.0 system which did not penalize falls across the board with a -1. Multiple falls were penalized, but Plushenko did not give the judges the opportunity to do that because he was so consistent, and most of his career was in the 6.0 which emphasized the jumps heavily. So his wins were justifiable. Some of Chan's wins are also justifiable, but not all, and some of his marks are very questionable, like in the SP & LP of the most recent GPF.

Cherub721
12-15-2011, 01:37 AM

:respec: :respec:

It's funny to think back now on how everyone was upset about Plushenko being so overscored. Ohh, the guy with the most difficult program skated clean and won!!! :drama: Sure, maybe he should have won by 5 points instead of 20, with lower transitions scores, but it's really not a big deal if the right person wins.

Karpenko
12-15-2011, 01:44 AM
I would much rather Michelle Kwan win the mens event than Patrick Chan, so I picked her.

escaflowne9282
12-15-2011, 05:34 AM
ABC. I voted Kwan

DinDonShamu
12-15-2011, 05:50 AM
Kwan is leading the poll :cheer2:

icellist
12-15-2011, 06:11 AM
long live the kween