PDA

View Full Version : Why is Czisny not fined like Flatt was for skating injured?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

lpskater
12-12-2011, 03:42 PM
Just throwing this out there. I think there are arguments on both sides of the fence on this one. But, think it is worth the debate.

Sylvia
12-12-2011, 03:43 PM
:confused: What's to debate? It was reported that she was injured on a 3F during a GPF practice.

Article: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20111210&content_id=26143894&vkey=ice_news

The injury happened Thursday, on an attempted triple flip.

"At the very beginning of practice, it was the way I picked on a flip jump," Czisny said. "It's one of those things that can happen. There's not much you can do."

Carolla5501
12-12-2011, 03:45 PM
Just throwing this out there. I think there are arguments on both sides of the fence on this one. But, think it is worth the debate.

Why? Just to watch the fireworks on here :lol:

However, USFS could not just send the next avaiable skater so I don't think they care!

MR-FAN
12-12-2011, 03:45 PM
And GPF is not worlds, you don't qualify spots for next year, neither would her withdrawal allow another US Lady to participate(1st alternate was Russian). Flatt skated injured at last year's GPF and didn't get a lot of flack over it

johndockley92
12-12-2011, 03:47 PM
I think it's different because USFS could have sent a replacement for Rachel, while they couldn't have for Alissa

kwanatic
12-12-2011, 03:56 PM
I figured this would come up. The "Czisny skating injured at the GPF" vs "Flatt skating injured at worlds" argument holds no water for several reasons. The main reason is that Alissa was not injured a full week prior to showing up for the GPF. She injured herself during a practice, in Quebec City...that's different. Had she decided to pull out, no one would have been sent to replace her.

As for Rachael, she and her team knew a week before worlds (before she'd even left for Moscow) that she had a stress fracture and was injured. In that case, she could have relinquished her spot; instead, she kept it all hushed-up until all was said and done.

Most importantly, this is the GPF--not Worlds. Granted all of them are individual events, but whether or not Alissa medaled or not had no bearing on how many spots the US team would receive. The GPF is an individual event. The only person who suffered from Alissa's dismal performance is Alissa...same as Rachael, who skated injured at last year's GPF, was the only one who suffered from her terrible performance last year. However, Rachael's bad placement at worlds last year had ramifications not only for herself, but the US ladies' team.

The situations are very different...

AYS
12-12-2011, 04:00 PM
On top of what's already been stated, Alissa was examined by the official USFSA team doctors, who confirmed that she wouldn't run the risk of worsening the injury by attempting to compete on it.

museksk8r
12-12-2011, 04:01 PM
GPF placements don't affect the number of athlete slots a country has for next season's GPF like at Worlds. Besides, Flatt was injured before she arrived in Moscow while Czisny injured herself in Quebec City during a practice session.

babayaga
12-12-2011, 04:02 PM
By the way, how did the story with Rachael end? I mean, was anyone else punished besides her?

IceAlisa
12-12-2011, 04:07 PM
It's simple: Alissa reported the injury and was examined by team doctors, while Rachael kept it a secret. Rachael was fined for failing to report an injury, while Alissa followed the rules.

MacMadame
12-12-2011, 04:19 PM
Rachael was fined for failing to report an injury, while Alissa followed the rules.

^^THIS

PDilemma
12-12-2011, 04:22 PM
It's simple: Alissa reported the injury and was examined by team doctors, while Rachael kept it a secret. Rachael was fined for failing to report an injury, while Alissa followed the rules.

Exactly. There is nothing to debate.

Frau Muller
12-12-2011, 04:28 PM
Yeah, I was thinking the same but realized that the rules & situaiton are different for Worlds.

I have one very big kudo for Czisny: She finally showed her true feelings in KnC after a bad skate. This time we saw tears rather than flashing teeth/fake smile. She was 100% natural.

FunnyBut
12-12-2011, 04:38 PM
same as Rachael, who skated injured at last year's GPF, was the only one who suffered from her terrible performance last year. ...

Not true. *I* also had to suffer through her terrible performance last year :drama:
:EVILLE:

Loves_Shizuka
12-12-2011, 04:39 PM
Didn't Alissa injure herself during a practice between the SP and LP? Or am I mistaken?