PDA

View Full Version : Why is Czisny not fined like Flatt was for skating injured?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

Sylvia
12-14-2011, 11:26 PM
She [Alissa Czisny] also attempted the 3loop at TEB in the SP
Yes, this was pointed out earlier in the thread:

She also did the 3Lo in the SP at Trophée Eric Bompard ... perhaps because she was having difficulties with it in practice, but likely because she's had wrong edge calls on it in the past.

Thanks to the mod. who moved this thread to the Trash Can! (I wonder if the original poster will ever revisit this thread to see the "debate"/thread drift they caused? :lol:)

Triple Butz
12-15-2011, 12:19 AM
Thanks to the mod. who moved this thread to the Trash Can! (I wonder if the original poster will ever revisit this thread to see the "debate"/thread drift they caused? :lol:)

Doubtful ;)

RD
12-15-2011, 01:03 AM
As you wish, but take note that the skaters coming out of sectionals are significantly stronger on the whole this year. Last year at Mids we had Czisny winning and then Bell (39 TES in her FS), West (37), and Khazova (35). Easterns had Cesario having to withdraw (47), Bulanhagui (43), Traunero (41), Forte (40), Narita (37), and then Lam from Pacs (50), Kahle (37), Zhou (37), and Kawamura (33).

So going into Nationals last year there was only 1 skater besides Czisny who scored over 44 in TES in their Sectionals FS. This year there were 10, and some of those were way over 44. :eek: Not at all safe to assume that anyone is going to coast through with a subpar performance this year, if you ask me. Flatt as she has been seen this year is not really superior to most of the skaters coming out of Sectionals.

Failure to make the top 10 after being top 2 four years in a row at Nats = meltdown of historic proportions. :eek:

kwanatic
12-15-2011, 01:21 AM
^^Well she had two silver medals on the GP last year and this year she's finished 9th and 10th. Rachael's already sustained an epic drop in terms of placement. We all know Caroline Zhang was a contender her first year out (silver, bronze and 4th at the GPF in 2007). The next year she 5th and 3rd, the next year 4th and 8th. At nationals, after having been on the podium for two years, she dropped to 11th.

Caroline's was more of a steady decline...Rachael's has been meteoric. For her sake, she needs to have a strong showing at nationals especially if she plans to continue to compete past this year. I still don't see her on the world team though...

stjeaskategym
12-15-2011, 02:20 AM
It's true--she hasn't performed well--but even with the watered down content, skaters who have done well on the GP in previous years are usually held up over 3rd and 4th tier skaters even when they don't skate well. She was terrible at Skate Canada and rightly deserved her 10th place finish. At COR she wasn't up to form but she wasn't so terrible; the judges could have padded her score to place her 5th or 6th...that's what they usually do for well-known medal contenders.

Sure, but those "held up" skaters usually have qualities in their skating that deserve relatively good PCS marks even when they don't skate well. As you mentioned, Rachael is mostly about jumps, and it's hard for her to generate decent PCS when she's not jumping well, her spins look weaker, her skating looks especially labored, etc.

So I still think her poor results are pretty much her own doing rather than some sign that she's "fallen out of favor with the judges" or something along those lines. Maybe she'll be a little more competition ready for Nationals since it will come after a long school break for her. I'd be rather shocked if she finishes out of the top 10, but you never know.

UGG
12-16-2011, 12:03 AM
^I'm referring to after 2007. In 2008 the judges stopped looking Kimmie's way. By then Mao, Miki and Yu-Na were on the scene and Kimmie's admittedly unattractive skating fell out of favor with the judges. Same thing happened at US nationals. The competition in 2008 was full of newcomers (Mirai, Caroline, Ashley, Rachael, etc.). The newbies had tough jumps, flexible spins, charisma and spunk...Kimmie was out of the mix that year and really didn't have a prayer of staying in, even with a national and world title under her belt. There wasn't anything remarkable about her or her skating to keep her in the running...the judges knew that and, as a result, didn't put forth the effort to boost her up in the standings. The next year she grew more and gained more weight, lost her ability to rotate and ended up completely falling off...she hasn't been back since and I doubt if she ever will.

Rachael is hitting the same wall. Without that Kwan-like consistency she had for those few years, Rachael has nothing to fall back on. She's rather plain in terms of her appearance, her presence on the ice, her style, her jumps and spins, and her performance. Even when Mirai or Alissa mess up, they still have things you can look at as redeeming qualities (great spins, extension, flexibility, charm or what have you). Unfortunately, Rachael isn't that kind of skater.

As I said, even if she performs well the international judges have made it clear that they aren't interested in her anymore. Her chances of placing well are very low...add that to the fact that she hasn't been hitting her jumps and that's just a recipe for a finish out of the top 10...

IDK I think in 2008 if Kimmie had landed 6 triples, she would have been on the podium at US Nationals. Problem was she fell a total of 4 times in the whole competition. I don't think she was really "dumped" but she just was skating so bad that there was no way to hold her up.

berthesghost
12-16-2011, 12:17 AM
...I don't think she was really "dumped" but she just was skating so bad that there was no way to hold her up.IDK, iirc she was not next in line for the world team, but they picked her over a less experienced (no experience at all, really) skater. Getting to go to world despite coming in 7th at nats kinda seem like being held up. :D

Marco
12-16-2011, 08:39 AM
So I still think her poor results are pretty much her own doing rather than some sign that she's "fallen out of favor with the judges" or something along those lines.

I think it is and will be both.