PDA

View Full Version : Why is Czisny not fined like Flatt was for skating injured?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

mag
12-12-2011, 04:48 PM
Didn't Alissa injure herself during a practice between the SP and LP? Or am I mistaken?

Yes, I believe that was mentioned up thread. I hope you are not suggesting we should let the facts get in the way of a good :lynch:

kwanatic
12-12-2011, 04:49 PM
Not true. *I* also had to suffer through her terrible performance last year :drama:
:EVILLE:

:lol: I know, me too. :shuffle:

I wonder what's going to happen to Rachael at nationals this year...

It's clear the international judges have cast her off: she was last in one competition and like 8th or 9th in another, even after skating relatively well. Will the US judges award her a spot on the world team knowing that the international judges don't give a crap about her anymore? I'm thinking they won't. In addition to the tibia-gate thing from last year, I can't see them giving her a spot considering her results this year...

I would have said Alissa was a shoo-in (and with some inflated scores she probably still is) but she looks very shaky and unsure...nowhere near where she was last season. Mirai had a better performance at her last event, but unless she can find a way to bring some life to her skating she might get passed over. Right now, I'm leaning more towards Ashley. She had decent results this year and, if she can get through the SP, she has a pretty good shot at the podium.

It feels rather open again...no one seems like a lock for a spot as of now.

RockTheTassel
12-12-2011, 05:00 PM

Exactly. I wouldn't be surprised to see any of the US ladies on or off the World team this year. It will certainly be an exciting competition in January.

Loves_Shizuka
12-12-2011, 05:01 PM
Yes, I believe that was mentioned up thread. I hope you are not suggesting we should let the facts get in the way of a good :lynch:

Ha. Of course not. That would be naive of me.

Though let's be honest, in addition to all the valid reasons already given in this thread, the fact she injured herself once the competition had started literally negates the need for any actual discussion. But I didn't say that ;)

AYS
12-12-2011, 06:29 PM
Didn't Alissa injure herself during a practice between the SP and LP? Or am I mistaken?

No, it appears to have been at a GPF practice prior to the sp, if the article is accurate. It states she injured it at a practice on Thursday; the ladies sp wasn't until Friday.

judgejudy27
12-12-2011, 06:34 PM
Well it was the USFSA who fined Flatt and Czisny did not prevent another American skater from competing so I doubt they even cared at all in her case. Flatt probably shouldnt have been fined but I always viewed it was a hint from the USFSA to retire, one she didnt take but as this season has shown ought to have.

Sylvia
12-12-2011, 06:39 PM
The injury on the flip could very well be why Czisny did 3Lo in her SP for the first time and didn't attempt a 3F in her FS.

peibeck
12-12-2011, 06:49 PM
I would have said Alissa was a shoo-in ( and with some inflated scores she probably still is ) but she looks very shaky and unsure...nowhere near where she was last season. Mirai had a better performance at her last event, but unless she can find a way to bring some life to her skating she might get passed over. Right now, I'm leaning more towards Ashley. She had decent results this year and, if she can get through the SP, she has a pretty good shot at the podium.

I think you can gaurantee Alissa will get inflated PCS at Nationals. :P She's managed to do well with international judges with no transitions or choreography this season, so why won't she with the home-grown judges? :slinkaway

Aside from which, despite the GPF she's had the highest scoring skates of any US lady this season. I still think she's a shoo in for one of the two worlds spots, unless she has a complete and utter melt down (a la 2010).

Erin
12-12-2011, 06:50 PM
The injury on the flip could very well be why Czisny did 3Lo in her SP for the first time and didn't attempt a 3F in her FS.

Yes, CBC reported that the injury was the reason that she was not attempting the flip in the FS. Makes sense that was why she took it out of the short as well, as I've always considered the loop to be less stable than the flip for her.

haribobo
12-12-2011, 07:17 PM
Aside from which, despite the GPF she's had the highest scoring skates of any US lady this season. I still think she's a shoo in for one of the two worlds spots, unless she has a complete and utter melt down (a la 2010).

I'm not sure what would classify as an "utter meltdown" for Alissa but I think one fall in the short and 2-3 mistakes in the long would be enough to keep her off the team. I have more faith in the judging system and strength of the field than that.

RD
12-12-2011, 07:34 PM
I will admit I initially drew parallels to Flatt-gate last year but honestly, the two situations are VERY different. Reasons have already been explained so I won't go through them again. But then again, Flatt skated injured at this very event in 2010 and there wasn't much uproar then, so I think that's the situation this is much more comparable to.

And as to what an "utter meltdown" for Czisny is...consider 2009 Worlds, 2010 Nationals, 2011 GPF, etc. :shuffle:

VALuvsMKwan
12-12-2011, 07:35 PM
Yeah, I was thinking the same but realized that the rules & situaiton are different for Worlds.

I have one very big kudo for Czisny: She finally showed her true feelings in KnC after a bad skate. This time we saw tears rather than flashing teeth/fake smile. She was 100% natural.

I am so VERY happy that she finally managed to please you, apparent sadist that you are.

fsfan22
12-12-2011, 08:03 PM

She also did the 3Lo in the SP at Trophée Eric Bompard ... perhaps because she was having difficulties with it in practice, but likely because she's had wrong edge calls on it in the past.

berthesghost
12-12-2011, 08:05 PM
Perhaps Im a masochist, because I'm actually curious to know what these possible arguments for fining cizny might be. The op seemed to think it was an even debate, but I'm stumped on how it's even a question. :lol:

Louise
12-12-2011, 08:26 PM
Stating the obvious, Czisny's performance at GPF has no impact on the US ladies' program. She reported the injury, saw the team doc, and just went ahead with it. Basically like Flatt last year at GPF, and no one really cared that Flatt placed last.

However there is a big difference between representing your country at Worlds, because an extra spot for the next year's team is a big deal. We have only two more worlds left before the Olys, and Flatt caused one of those worlds to only have two women compete. It was bad for US ladies skating. It was selfish. Skating is pretty much an individual sport, but when it comes to Worlds, it's not. It's for the country's skating program.

I just don't see Flatt getting any breaks this year at Nats. She might go clean-ish and still place 8-10th. I think that's the only way for her to get the message now.