PDA

View Full Version : Savchenko & Szolkowy or Volosozhar & Trankov

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7

mia joy
12-12-2011, 05:33 PM
I love both. I want both! "Both" should definitely be an option in this poll ;)

I've never been as excited watching pairs as I am when we have SS and VT at one competition. At this moment, I think SS are still superior, in terms of artistic side, choreography, interpretation and also confidence (by that I don't mean that they always land everything, but when they do, you can almost touch the confidence), but who knows what becomes of VT in a season or two? I'm in love with their personalities and the way they connect with each other - way better than SS, IMO. And of course, as wonderful as Aliona is, she's no Tatiana.

So, all in all, I feel blessed we have both teams, and as long as they finish 1st and 2nd, I don't really care who gets the gold.

jenji124
12-12-2011, 06:43 PM
Volosozhar & Trankov for me. Their style appeals to me more. I think that they have the potential to amazing with the right programs and choregraphy. They have a great connection together, it makes me wish they would have paired up years ago.

oleada
12-13-2011, 12:39 AM
K/s twist is weak but so is S/S twist that they performed at the GPFs, that was crashy as well. V/T have really good twist, but they have decent choreography nothing spectacular. K/S program are beautiful but yuko keeps on making mistakes unfortunately.

I don't think that's a comparison. S/S's twist isn't their best element, but it's much better than K/S which is crashy, small and practically vertical every single time. S/S is not usually crashy. S/S also do theirs from a much difficult entry and in the second half of their program, so they get extra points. As far as V/T - no comparison.

K/S give up a lot of points in base value. Both S/S and V/T have more difficult side by side jumps, and S/S have harder throws. They don't get as much height in their throws, either, so they are less impressive. And they are less consistent than these two teams with the jumps.

Bournekraatzfan
12-13-2011, 01:21 AM
I love that this is turning into a cheer thread for both teams :)

PeterG
12-13-2011, 01:56 AM
I love that this is turning into a cheer thread for both teams :)

Well, the poll is kind of like asking, "which is more of a jewel - an emerald or a ruby?"

:D

julieann
12-13-2011, 02:36 AM
I don't think that's a comparison. S/S's twist isn't their best element, but it's much better than K/S which is crashy, small and practically vertical every single time. S/S is not usually crashy. S/S also do theirs from a much difficult entry and in the second half of their program, so they get extra points. As far as V/T - no comparison.

K/S give up a lot of points in base value. Both S/S and V/T have more difficult side by side jumps, and S/S have harder throws. They don't get as much height in their throws, either, so they are less impressive. And they are less consistent than these two teams with the jumps.

K/S have more difficult sbs jumps than V/T, but they are all so close (0.59) it would come down to who does them better and none of them are very consistent.

Jumps:

S/S=10.19
3T+3T+SEQ 6.56
2A 3.63x

K/S=9.91
3T 4.10
2A+2A+SEQ 5.81x

V/T=9.60
3T+2T 5.40
3S 4.20

Some other values:

Throws:

S/S=10.45
3FTh 5.50
3STh 4.95x

V/T=10.45
3LoTh 5.50x
3STh 4.95x

K/S=10.00
3STh 4.50
3LoTh 5.50x

Lifts:

V/T=18.70
5ALi4 7.15x
5RLi4 7.15x
3Li4 4.40x

K/S=18.15
3Li4 4.40x
5ALi4 7.15x
5SLi4 6.60x

S/S=18.15
3Li4 4.40x
5Ali3 6.60x
5RLi4 7.15x

Of course what levels they get also make a difference on the rest of the elements except the ChSp1 where K/S won on execution. It certainly is a numbers game. On any given competition it could be anyones game.

LilJen
12-13-2011, 02:41 AM
Why isn't there a 'both' option?

If I absolutely have to choose 1, I'll be shallow and pick V&T on the basis of Max being :swoon:.

Why not choose S&S on the basis of Robin being :swoon:? (ETA: He did SYNCHRO??? Now THAT'S a MAN!! AUSGEZEICHNET!!)

I hope that V/T will get better programs as time goes on; I love it that S/S try different stuff, and, well, Swan Lake and dangly bits of chiffon is certainly NOT different!

mrinalini
12-13-2011, 03:19 AM
Why not choose S&S on the basis of Robin being :swoon:?

This. I find the floppy bangs on Trankov to be annoying. :P

I prefer S/S by far. I'm not well-versed in teknik so I can't precisely quantify why I prefer the German team, but to me they're just so much more elegant and in sync, and of course their choreo and music are vastly superior. V/T aren't bad by any means, but if I had to get a little technical, I'd say their spins look weaker in comparison to S/S's, and then there's also that gorgeous (and more difficult) throw triple flip that S/S have in their arsenal.

Aside from K/S's SP this season, I find both the senior Russian teams to be quite meh, to be honest. OTOH, S/S always seem to be taking risks, and they appear more original and artistic every time I see them. Their artistic versatility is such that they can even skate to Chinese music (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33tsgrYu0Tg) and still come off as absolutely mesmeric. I doubt V/T (or even the Chinese teams, for that matter!) could have pulled that off half as well. :swoon:

blue_idealist
12-13-2011, 04:42 AM
I like both, but I slightly prefer V/T since they almost always skate cleanly. S/S have better programs, but the technical mistakes they often make drive me CRAZY!!

flowerpower
12-13-2011, 05:21 AM
I have a great deal of respect for S/S, their skating skills and choreo.

But V/T have great presence and command of the ice already, and if everything continues to develop well for them I believe they could become one of the all-time great pairs teams.

I love the fact that they are are a mature man and woman on the ice, well matched in technical ability and skating style, and are developing great chemistry to go with their elements. For me, this adds up to the IT factor. (Not fair to S/S, but the IT factor is never fair. YMMV.)

Loves_Shizuka
12-13-2011, 06:35 AM
Can I ask an OT question please? Robin has a Tanzanian father, no? So I was wondering where the surname "Szolkowy" comes from, if anyone knows any background on this? Just wondering.

Back on-topic, I'm so pleased both teams have LP's I like this year. I didn't particularly love S/S's Pink Panther last year - this years is so much better IMO. Ditto for V/T.

Zemgirl
12-13-2011, 06:50 AM
Can I ask an OT question please? Robin has a Tanzanian father, no? So I was wondering where the surname "Szolkowy" comes from, if anyone knows any background on this? Just wondering.
I imagine he got his last name from his mother, since his parents never married and his father left Germany before he was even born. But I could be wrong.

Loves_Shizuka
12-13-2011, 07:18 AM
^Ahhh, OK, thank you!

mia joy
12-13-2011, 11:11 AM
Even if so, the name looks much more Polish than German. Does his mother have any Polish ancestors?

Artifice
12-13-2011, 02:05 PM
S&S, they have mature choreography.
V&T are very good but their swan lake is too mechanical, there is no poetry in their interpretation and their arms movements are not gracious.