PDA

View Full Version : Do skaters pay attention to what the others are doing (or not doing)?

AlexDSSF
12-10-2011, 11:41 PM
I have a question:

Do figure skaters, especially the top level of skaters, pay any attention to what their competition is doing? I mean, I know that they usually work on what they're doing and try not to let their competition get the best of them. But at some point, they have to wonder what they're doing wrong (if at all), and what their competition is doing right (if at all), and how to improve on their own faults. For instance, do the skaters or coaches look at other's protocol sheets? Do they watch the others in practice or in competition? Do they take notes? Do they modify their programs accordingly? Ideally, if you're a top-level skater, you don't want to benefit just from your competition's misfortune, such as a fall or a doubling of a triple or doing too many rotations on a dance spin or lift. You'd want them to skate well for their benefit and you to skate well for your benefit. And I feel that it's important to know your competition's strengths and weaknesses.

johndockley92
12-11-2011, 12:19 AM
It depends really. Some have to zone it all out completely in order to stay focused, while others are fans of the sport as well and pay attention to everything just like you do.