PDA

View Full Version : Does Alissa Czisny need a new choreographer?

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

Marco
12-11-2011, 11:45 AM
What a mess. I think at this point the programs are the least of her worries.

RD
12-11-2011, 02:53 PM
What a mess. I think at this point the programs are the least of her worries.

Well said.

And 'nuff said!!

museksk8r
12-11-2011, 02:57 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing her go back to last season's LP as it is a much better program than the one she has this season. At this point, she needs to heal and recover from her foot injury more than she needs a new choreographer though. It may have been gutsy to push through the GPF with this injury, but it didn't do her any favors to skate that way in front of the ISU judges and it certainly didn't help the condition of her foot either. Get well soon, Alissa!

RD
12-11-2011, 03:09 PM
Well, where have we seen this before, one of the American ladies trying to push through injury at a major comp? Less than a year ago? And before that, at the same EVENT?

The (recent) curse of the American ladies continues. Nevermind Czisny's win last year- the history at the GPF has been abysmal otherwise. When they DO manage to qualify...we've had a last place by Czisny back in 2005 or 2006 (forget which year)...we had a last place by Meissner I remember...a 4th place by Wagner one year and last place by Flatt last year. And of course, last place AGAIN by Czisny this year. Someone stop the bleeding...(literally, it seems!)

smarts1
12-11-2011, 03:19 PM
^ Wagner placed 4th at the GPF in 2009.

Caroline also qualified in 2007 and placed 4th as well.

Marco
12-11-2011, 04:16 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing her go back to last season's LP as it is a much better program than the one she has this season.

Last season's program was equally empty to be honest. But at least the variety in the music made it seem much richer. (same for Kwan's Aranjuez vs Tosca)

Get well soon, Alissa!

smarts1
12-11-2011, 06:07 PM
^ There was still a little more in that program than this season's LP. Besides, are there even that many ladies with more than three turns in their programs?

VIETgrlTerifa
12-12-2011, 05:39 AM
^ There was still a little more in that program than this season's LP. Besides, are there even that many ladies with more than three turns in their programs?

No. Ladies have consistently have had the most empty routines out of the four disciplines since the inception of the COP. Of course, it's one point one can use to criticize a skater one doesn't like while ignoring that the rest of the field for the most part does not have much more going on.

aliceanne
12-12-2011, 05:30 PM
No. Ladies have consistently have had the most empty routines out of the four disciplines since the inception of the COP. Of course, it's one point one can use to criticize a skater one doesn't like while ignoring that the rest of the field for the most part does not have much more going on.

More isn't always better. The men's programs seem too busy to me. They skate with great intensity, but their programs tend to be on one level, no real changes of tempo. Jeremy has more variety than many, but he also has trouble pulling off the difficult jumps because he isn't charging around the ice. Alissa needs to manage her jumps before she can handle more complexity. I agree with Chan on one thing, in competitive skating sport trumps art.

orbitz
12-12-2011, 05:45 PM
No. Ladies have consistently have had the most empty routines out of the four disciplines since the inception of the COP.

This is true even pre-COP. For example look at the period from 77-80. You have Cousin and Tickner on the men side doing wonderfully choreographed pieces and then on the women side you had Fratianne and Poeztch. Blech.

Jaana
12-12-2011, 06:27 PM
I think the choreography is excellent, she just needs to be successful in her jumping.

VIETgrlTerifa
12-12-2011, 06:56 PM
More isn't always better. The men's programs seem too busy to me. They skate with great intensity, but their programs tend to be on one level, no real changes of tempo. Jeremy has more variety than many, but he also has trouble pulling off the difficult jumps because he isn't charging around the ice. Alissa needs to manage her jumps before she can handle more complexity. I agree with Chan on one thing, in competitive skating sport trumps art.

I agree for the most part, but I don't like the attitude of sport vs. art. Figure skaters need to stop this mentality that one can't compliment the other and instead think of ways in which one wants to excel at both. That way the sport really moves forward, skaters can become the best skaters they can be, and spectators can enjoy seeing the fruits of their labor.

eurodance2001
12-12-2011, 07:06 PM
Why was Plushenko outscoring Buttle and Savoie in Turin on transitions? Etc etc. As you said, that's a judging system problem.

THIS!!! What do the Plushenko lovers have to say to this very true argument?? Anyway, the problem is the judges not treating the components seperately; just because you are good in one does not translate to the others but it seems that the judges only use this logic to whom they feel like using it on.. Some can get away with empty nothing programs but everything sky high and some have the wide range of scores.. WHATEVER!

FunnyBut
12-12-2011, 09:19 PM
Yes, I agree the main issue is Alissa herself, not the choreography. She is barely able to rotate the jumps and it takes all her focus to do so. There's nothing left for selling a routine. She also seems to be a reserved person by nature, not one freely let put her emotions into her program other than plaster the same grin on her face.

I do commend her for improving her jump consistency so much, and of course she had nice lines, smooth edges and fantastic spins. But the empty content and lack of interpretation prevent me from liking her performances as much as some other skaters. I couldn't help but notice how much more oomph and personality little Tukt puts into her performances than Alissa does.

icellist
12-12-2011, 09:26 PM
Her SP is okay this year. I just don't enjoy her LP this year that much. IMO her LP last year was different for her, which shows that she can do different. I think she just might be going into her comfort zone because she was planning on upping her technical ante.